• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Sharing GIGs via Internet

Share/Bookmark

Sharing GIGs via Internet

Downloading GIGs from the internet is painful at slow connection speeds and hosting them will require a lot of bandwidth. I was testing various lossless compression formats to compress GIG files to save at downloading times and web space. SBC format (http://sbcarchiver.netfirms.com/) seems to result the smallest archives (similar results seems to apply with non-GIG files too). There were cases where SBC was not much better than other formats, but here are some examples where the difference was more than noticeable:

- The free Schimmel (V4.0) piano GIG is distributed as RAR format at the size of 65 MB
    while it is only 47 MB using SBC
    - Thomas_J ultimate_bongo.RAR is about 10 megabytes compared to 6 MB SBC file
    - The size of SAM trumpet using RAR format is 74 MB and 60 MB using SBC
    - The SAM timpani is distributed as zip file nearly 34 MB of size, the SBC file is 18 MB

Re: Sharing GIGs via Internet

Hi
    I don\'t think that format would be a success, simply because no one uses it. Download sizes are becoming less of an issue these days as more and more have broadband connections.

How does it compare to RAR?

RAR is already WAY better than ZIP, but it\'s hard to find up-to-date RAR software for the Mac. Even the popular StuffIt package has very oldfashioned RAR features.

The great thing about WinRar and Zip is that the software produces self-extracting archive files (.exe). You don\'t need extra software to decompress these files.
    When you leave WinRar files as non-slefextracting Rar files they can be used (with limitations) for Mac, provided that the Mac user has MacRar or a new Stuffit version.

Problem with SBC format seems that the user will have to download SBC software to de-compress the compressed data files, which will make it hard to make it a popular solution for mass usage.
    MP

Plundrik:
    Download sizes are becoming less of an issue these days as more and more have broadband connections.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This is not what you hear in this forum, many of the people who were planning to put gigs online complain about large size and lack of server space/bandwith. Thomas said (if I recall correctly) that his samples were reducted versions of the original because the resulting file would be too large to share in the internet.

Maarten:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It makes smaller archives, look at the examples above.

Michael:
    The great thing about WinRar and Zip is that the software produces self-extracting archive files (.exe). You don\'t need extra software to decompress these files.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If you save nearly 50% of the download time, is it a problem to download a software to decompress the files?

Michael:
    Problem with SBC format seems that the user will have to download SBC software to de-compress the compressed data files, which will make it hard to make it a popular solution for mass usage.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I disagree that this is such a major problem. I was not suggesting a mass usage, but I thought this format would be a good solution for sharing free gigs in this forum community.

I wouldn\'t mind using SBC for on-line large-sized files. It would just save bandwidth.
    I just think it\'s usefriendly to offer them in a file-format that has the option to un-pack without an additional downloadable software installation.
    MP

Originally posted by Michiel Post:
    When you leave WinRar files as non-slefextracting Rar files they can be used (with limitations) for Mac, provided that the Mac user has MacRar or a new Stuffit version.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Not entirely true....it doesn\'t matter if it is an .exe or not, MacRAR will recognise it as a RAR and extract it...but its not compatible with the latest RAR 3.0. At least not on OS 9. If you\'re using OS X I don\'t think you\'d have any problems at all as MacRAR is updated on that OS, but most Mac using composers still use OS 9.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Believe me it\'ll soon become popular if we start using it to archive everything. If people want to unpack the things then they\'ll have to download the software to do it. And bingo - instant popularity! Certainly for Mac users they\'ll be glad to have the option to unpack it in the first place...

Originally posted by Maarten Spruijt:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Its my guess it compares like he said it does. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] i.e.:

\"- The free Schimmel (V4.0) piano GIG is distributed as RAR format at the size of 65 MB
    while it is only 47 MB using SBC
    - Thomas_J ultimate_bongo.RAR is about 10 megabytes compared to 6 MB SBC file
    - The size of SAM trumpet using RAR format is 74 MB and 60 MB using SBC\"

Certainly for Mac users they\'ll be glad to have the option to unpack it in the first place...[/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The SBC software is PC only; Win9x, 2000, ME and XP but NO MAC OS.
    So: Mac users will need a PC to unpack SBC-files?

Giga is PC only too, so MAC support is not a big issue when sharing gigs. Is there not a working PC emulator for MAC?

Michael:
    I just think it\'s usefriendly to offer them in a file-format that has the option to un-pack without an additional downloadable software installation.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">In the case you have web space for having the gigs in two formats would make the most usefriendly way.

Go Back to forum