• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Horizon Concert Guitar demo

New Horizon Concert Guitar demo

I had the pleasure to write a soft piece for the Horizon Concert Guitar: Tranche de Vie

Previous posts voiced concern about the fact that the sound wasn\'t warm enough because of the right hand technique (too much nail).
    I was relieved to discover that you could actually get a very nice, warm sound by playing with lower velocities.
    The lower the velocities, the warmer the sound.

My personal opinion about this library is that it is a very inspiring instrument with beautiful tone and consistancy of quality across all articulations. This is my first experience with a product from the VSL company and I am sincerely impressed.

Re: New Horizon Concert Guitar demo

Nice piece; nice realization. Can\'t Wait to Get Mine (some time after the 10th, I hear).

Allo Monsieur,
    Nice plume in your chapeau getting a little something on the vsl site, good sir! Very nice comp frenchie. Not too nutsy about the verb, but nicely played.

Wonderful composition. The fingerboard noises were outrageous... in the best sense [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . So authentic. The only thing that was perhaps lacking were any legato slides or glissandi. I presume they\'re part of the lib though, yes? Their inclusion might have made your piece almost indistinguishable from a live performance.

The problem is that every note I hear sounds like a very powerful strong perfect nail pluck. I\'m not sure that makes it realistic. It also, IMO, tears down the lyricism and romanticism of a nylon guitar. After 3 demos I still have the impression that this guitar not suited for a more delicate and fragile style of music. It\'s classics on steroids! Repetitions are also audible.

Everything else is good.

Alex Cremers

Greg and Christian,
    thank you for the kind words [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    In terms of mix, I didn\'t eq, compress or maximize the piece. The only thing added was a bit of PCM80 for ambience.

delighted you enjoyed the piece. Actually, there is one glissando in the beginning [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I\'ll see where I might include a slide or two for realism.

at the time I wrote the demo, I hadn\'t received the repetition articulations for the Concert Guitar so I alternated articulations for the most obvious repetitions. They are not exactly the same...
    About your impression of lack of soft velocities, I only used the mf articulations for this demo. There is a softer set of articulations that I didn\'t use altogether...
    In terms of dynamics, this library suits me just fine but then we all have different demands on what we expect from an instrument...

Ah, NOW I hear it. It was so natural that my brain didn\'t register it first time, but it did register the subsequent lack of slides. An interesting example of subliminal perception!

Luck to you

Originally posted by Not Dudley Simpson:
    Ah, NOW I hear it. It was so natural that my brain didn\'t register it first time
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, it was a tiny slide anyway [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I think that all of the above comments are relevant (not sure about the reverb being weak Mr.CB ;-) )
    But it reflects more on my laziness to take the time and find the right articulations for each note than on something missing in the library.

Mea culpa, live and learn [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum