• Register
  • Help

Topic: What and why is Maple?

Share/Bookmark

What and why is Maple?

I\'m buying VSL Opus 1 in a couple of weeks and I\'ve been reading about the Performance Tool and Maple. However, being a bit of an idiot, I still haven\'t quite figured out what the hell Maple is. I even been to the Maple site, but the explanation of what the tool actually does seems oddly non-specific.

So what is it? Why would I need it to run the PT, and if the PT does actually need it, why isn\'t it bundled with VSL in the first place?

And finally, am I being an Idiot of King-sized proportions?

Luck to all
    Heath

Re: What and why is Maple?

It creates virtual midi ins and outs. You use it to route the midi signal through the performance tool.

Thanks Peter. Does that mean PT won\'t run without it? If so, why is VSL putting out a product that won\'t work without 3rd party software?

Oh god, more fiddling about with windows, routings and endless option menus... I just crave a quiet life, making music without having to schlepp a PHD in midi-music tech. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Heath

Thanks Craig. I had a look at the VSL site and learned a bit more. I still find it a slightly odd that they\'re selling a product that can only effectively work with 3rd party software.

However, the Performance Tool is apparently only a Beta release, so perhaps the final programme will have full midi implementation.

BTW for anyone who doesn\'t know, the current PT has an inbuilt expiry date - ie it will stop working eventually, thus forcing you to upgrade. I don\'t yet know if the upgrade is free or not.

Heath

Originally posted by Not Dudley Simpson:

However, the Performance Tool is apparently only a Beta release, so perhaps the final programme will have full midi implementation.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It might be worth asking this on the VSL forum.

BTW for anyone who doesn\'t know, the current PT has an inbuilt expiry date - ie it will stop working eventually, thus forcing you to upgrade. I don\'t yet know if the upgrade is free or not.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Free to registered owners.

Thanks Peter. Does that mean PT won\'t run without it?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If you have your sequencer on a seperate PC and use MOL or the likes, you don\'t need Maple. Like Peter said, Maple connects your sequencer Midi Outs to the Performance Tool Midi Ins. The Performance Tool (Midi Out) sees GS (Midi In) without Maple. Perform a search in the VSL forum and you will find a lot of detail about Maple including, as I remember, a very complete setup post.

Go Back to forum