• Register
  • Help

Topic: Waves reverb question...Bruce?

Share/Bookmark

Waves reverb question...Bruce?

I bought Waves Renaissance package a few months ago, and am having a problem determining why everyone raves about the Waves reverb. It is definitely a good reverb, but I\'m not finding it to be my first choice. I am sure it is just my inexperience using it, so can anyone give me some suggestions about what presets you are starting with, or what kind of settings give good results with instruments and samples.

I have Wavearts Masterverb3, ReverbX from Sonic Timeworks, the Cakewalk FXReverb in Sonar, and the Waves reverb (among others that I rarely use). I normally will try all of them to find the best sound for a particular track (unless it is an instrument that I\'ve previously recorded and know the sound I want). In doing that, much of the time I choose Masterverb 3, next it is divided between ReverbX and FXReverb, and finally Waves. In fact, I\'m not sure if I have come up with a situation yet where I felt Waves had the best sound.

So I do have a lot of experience using reverb plugins, but not with Waves yet.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

-- Martin

Re: Waves reverb question...Bruce?

Here we go again!! Sue me. Call me nuts, but I prefer the sblive Audigy verb (which runs off the card), adjusted using the \"parameters\" feature provided, to both Waves and to Timeworks! But if I had to choose between Waves and Timeworks, I\'d take Waves hands down. The FX and Soundstage verbs aren\'t even in the running as far as my ears are concerned.

How subjective are verbs? That question has always troubled me.

John Grant
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/42/john_lewis_grant.html

NUTS!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hi Martin,

I hardly ever use the presets straight. I\'ll pick one with the approximate character, and go from there. You can change a lot about the sound with the reverb type control. That\'s the basic model you\'re using. The decorrelation and various controls alter the characteristics of that model. The frequency curves on reverb eq and damping can really change the character of a preset.

If you\'re using a Giga library with any \"room\" in it at all, you\'ll want to eliminate the early reflections, since you\'ll just be reflecting your built in reflections, so to speak. Things will get too diffused and de-localized. On the other hand, you can use the early reflections to add a room character to a nonreflective sample, and control their character with the decorrelation and level controls.

I use different reverbs, too. I still use the TrueVerb a lot, too. There are things it does better than anything--it\'s much \"roomier\" than RVerb, which is more diffused and slick-sounding. I use the Sonic Foundry Acoustic Mirror, and the Cakewalk Soundstage FX-3 as well. I even have a few of those old-fashioned ones you can actually screw in a rack. I usually can dial something up in either RVerb or TrueVerb (or a combination) that works, though.

Richardson writes:

[QUOTEIf you\'re using a Giga library with any \"room\" in it at all, you\'ll want to eliminate the early reflections, since you\'ll just be reflecting your built in reflections, so to speak. Things will get too diffused and de-localized. On the other hand, you can use the early reflections to add a room character to a nonreflective sample, and control their character with the decorrelation and level controls.] [/QUOTE]

Dead on about the early reflections! Is there a place where the term \"decorrelation\" is defined?

J.G.

Thanks Bruce,

I forgot about Acoustic Mirror, I do use that also.

The hints you gave will be helpful.

I never would have thought of using two reverbs together. Why would you do that, and what would be the effect?

-- Martin

John,

Of course reverbs are subjective just like everything else in music. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder [grin].

I use the FX for native american flute. It has a beautiful loooooong creamy sound for a dreamy flute. Check out \"911 Elegy\" at my mp3 site below to see what I mean.

The two happiest days of my musical recording career were when I bought my first SB Live card, and when I got rid of the very last one out of all my systems. Their drivers suck so bad that things just magically started working well when I got rid of them.

-- Martin

If you\'re using a Giga library with any \"room\" in it at all, you\'ll want to eliminate the early reflections, since you\'ll just be reflecting your built in reflections, so to speak.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Would this be controlled by the reverb parameter called \"predelay\"?

Thanks,
    Lawrence

Martin, a few weeks ago my vocalist friend and I did a blind trial using Cakewalk FX reverb, Cakewalk FX3 soundstage, Waves Renaissance, and the Timeworks reverb. This was done on a vocal track using a small plate reverb or the equivalent. The Timeworks was clearly the best. The result stopped me from buying the Waves Collection.

I\'m not sure the Timeworks was the ReverbX (was there one that preceded that one)? Anyway, I had a 14 day demo on it and the Waves.

P.S. I looked it up- it was the Timeworks 4080L.

Carl

Go Back to forum