• Register
  • Help

Topic: Here I go again...$3000 and no idea what to buy?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Here I go again...$3000 and no idea what to buy?

If you are only using one computer, Gold might be a better choice right now. If you are going to be doing mostly orchestral/filmscore stuff, the UAD won\'t help you that much, though. Gold doesn\'t really need any processing and there is some processing built into Kompakt.

Originally posted by Nick Phoenix:
    If you are going to be doing mostly orchestral/filmscore stuff, the UAD won\'t help you that much, though.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Really, why is this? Are there other software/hardware better suited for this kind of music or is it simply not needed alltogether?

I don\'t own them, but Gold, VOTA and Atmosphere have great demos and great reviews here. Beyond those, I\'d hold on to some cash to plug any holes. Maybe you\'ll find that you need a great piano, or solo strings or you might want to beef up one of the sections. Or maybe you\'ll decide that your monitors or headphones stink. Or that you need a better soundcard - or even a better chair. Make sure that you really are getting the most from your three base libs before expanding.

What you want now may not be what you need later.

Before I put down $3000 on 1 thing like platinum I just want to consider all other options incluing hardware like the UAD1 or other libraries. Although I prefer composing orchestral pieces I do vary my material into other genres. I don\'t own any processing hardware or plugins other than stock Cubase SX plug-ins, so how would you weigh the value of purchasing something like the UAD1 over spending the $$ towards a sample library or VST instrument?

UAD-1 has some of the best EQ\'s and effects available. It\'s really smooth. The reverbs might not be the best but I still use them ocassionally.

Ed, I think that if you buy Gold now, you can later get Platinum minus the purchase price.

So you really have nothing to loose, buy Gold and the other goodies and upgrade to Platinum when you have knocked out a few scoring gigs and have more DAW\'s at your disposal. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    Beyond those, I\'d hold on to some cash to plug any holes. Maybe you\'ll find that you need a great piano, or solo strings or you might want to beef up one of the sections. Or maybe you\'ll decide that your monitors or headphones stink. Or that you need a better soundcard - or even a better chair. Make sure that you really are getting the most from your three base libs before expanding.

What you want now may not be what you need later. [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Jon\'s advice is great! I\'d start with Gold. Then really get to know it, find it\'s strengths and weaknesses, then add the pieces that you need. I got Silver, Atmosphere, DFH and EWQL Brass all on the same day. Haven\'t touched anything but Silver since. Plus NAMM is just around the corner... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

All the very best,

Darren

PS If your really bent on spending the cash I could use Stormdrum!

Hi Edward,

While I agree with Simon in that the UAD-1 card is great (I own one too) you may find that you don\'t really need it that badly. It is much better than the stock Cubase FX but you may find that you can get by for now. I really agree with Jon in that you should hold onto some of that cash for now to fill in some holes.

The other thing that I would suggest is perhaps holding off on a bunch of these purchases until after NAMM which is so close at the moment. Get EWQLSO Gold for now (you\'ll be able to start composing immediately then) and see what comes available at NAMM in a couple of weeks. You may be surprised at how your shopping list may change in this time.

The other thing too is that if you don\'t absolutely need choir samples now (ie VOTA), you may want to hold off until Soundsonline has another sale (it will happen probably sooner than you think). You can get it and the utility much cheaper. During the XMAS sale, you could have bought it for 35% off which was a great deal. I\'ve been buying most of the Soundsonline titles that I own on sale at great prices. I have also been able to buy a library or two using the points that accumulate.

HTH,
    FV

Such wisdom from experienced shoppers...I am going to 1) wait until after NAMM and 2) only get EWQLSO Gold to start...then as I gain experience in that library and discover my needs I will have $$ to buy the perfect add-ons for my needs.

It is too tempting to throw all the money away at once so thanks everyone for setting my feet on the ground.

Edward

Here I go again...$3000 and no idea what to buy?

Alright, I posted earlier that I was putting together my shopping list, thanks to wonderful financial aid this year from school...I was originally going to spend about $2000 but figured I could save up to give myself a $3000 budget. With that said I was pretty intent on just buying EWQLSO Platinum. But I am wondering if my $3000 could be better spent. I have a pretty barebones setup right now when it comes to my setup. I only have Absynth, Cubase, and Edirol Orchestral VST. I am not worried about my PC specs...I can work around that...I really just want to get the most for my money. Platinum is amazing! But $3000 can buy a lot of other goodies...Here is my other choices:

1)EWQLSO Gold $995.00
    2)Atmosphere $369.95
    3)Storm Drums $399.95
    4)VOTA w/ Vocal Tool $549.95
    5)Mackie UAD1 w/ Dreamverb $649.95
    6)Halion $179.95 (Academic Version)

Total: $3144.75 (Probably would have to wait for Halion or wait on Dreamverb)

There are so many options that I am overwhelmed. My goal is to write film and game music. I love the large \"orchestral sound\" but the flexibility from the above setup sounds great too and throwing atmosphere and storm drums into the mix gives some creative possibilities...plus I could have the UAD1 for some sweet effects minus the CPU drain. I could always upgrade later to platinum. Although $2000 later!

So, if PC problems weren\'t an issue what would you buy with $3000 considering my setup?

Sorry to to be so indecisive, but I have never spent this much at one time and want to be sure I am getting the best setup. I figured most of you have been through the shopping dilemma at one time or another.

Thanks for your help.

Edward Trevino

Go Back to forum