• Register
  • Help

Topic: vst Groove suggestion

Share/Bookmark

vst Groove suggestion

I\'ve read all the debates about which drum sets are preferred. I don\'t really want to hear from any developers with sales hype. I need suggestions on what I am looking for. I have DFH. So I like the drums I have. I need a grove vst that is the most configurable.
    I\'ve looked at the promos for groove agent and BFD. It really looks like they both lack in that department. Both programs demo mpg\'s are kind of ,well lite for my taste.
    I need something to be able to modify the groves to suit my music. BFD is nice but it looks like you are paying for the kits. groove agent is nice but the canned grooves are kind of wimpy.
    I want to be able to modify the heck out of groves to get a kind of Pat Mastelotto, bill Bruford, Jerry Marotta, Bob Muller kind of sounds. LOL right. Dream on I know.
    Are there any other vst groove machines out there that are more configurable than the 2 above mentioned.
    Anyone know of any new releases planned in the near future? Like something coming to NAMM?
    Any help or thoughts will be appreciated.
    Hey maybe the guys who make BFD can point me to a demo that sounds like Pat or Bob...
    Duke

Re: vst Groove suggestion

I don\'t quite understand your question. On the one hand, you\'re looking for a VSTi with ready-made grooves. OTOH, you want to modify the heck out of these grooves in order to make quite complex, fusion-type beats. Well, I really don\'t see where you could find a drum machine that offers these grooves - the market just isn\'t there for them, IMO. Prove me wrong, and I\'ll buy the drum machine! (I already own and like BFD and GA) It sounds to me like you need to program your own beats.

PS: I seem to recall that there\'s a Bruford MIDI Drum patterns pack for sale out there. You could always buy BFD, for eg, and use these MIDI grooves as a starting point.

Originally posted by Ned Bouhalassa:

PS: I seem to recall that there\'s a Bruford MIDI Drum patterns pack for sale out there. You could always buy BFD, for eg, and use these MIDI grooves as a starting point.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So do you mean you can load midi grooves into BFD and modify them?

I\'m a drummer. Hire me and I\'ll do my best! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Have you considered StormDrum?

Ed

Slicey Drummer has some nice configurable grooves.

Originally posted by Duke750:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Ned Bouhalassa:

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So do you mean you can load midi grooves into BFD and modify them? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You load the MIDI data into your sequencer, on a track that has BFD on it, and voila. You can play BFD and Groove Agent from a MIDI keyboard or other controller like you would any virtual instrument. Their kits are laid out in General MIDI mapping (kick on C1, sidestick on C#1, crash on C#2, etc).

With Groove Agent, you can export the grooves it creates as midi files onto a free midi track, and then play that track using DFH samples through whichever sample player you are using.

Adrian

Originally posted by Adrian H:
    With Groove Agent, you can export the grooves it creates as midi files onto a free midi track, and then play that track using DFH samples through whichever sample player you are using.

Adrian
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Except in Logic (for Logic users wanting to try this out).

Go Back to forum