• Register
  • Help

Topic: Year of the convolution reverbs

Year of the convolution reverbs

I just read in an ad in the British magazine Resolution that Waves has launched or will launch a convolution reverb plugin very soon, the IR-1. Their own website has no info on it yet...
    A pity I can\'t make a scan of the ad right now...
    I bet this might be a very interesting product, knowing how excellent their processing and mastering plugins are (although their verbs are not among the very best).

Re: Year of the convolution reverbs

Has anyone tried the emagic one?

It only runs on the latest (=Mac) Logic version, boohoo... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Orcas Island

Prosoniq has also got into the act with a convolution reverb called \"Rayverb\".

Hi Gary,

I was actually referring to that topic with my topic title \"year of the...\", I forgot to mention the thread, sorry [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

It is indeed an interesting time for this somewhat \"weaker\" part of the midi mockup process.

Gary, while on the topic of impulse stuff:
    Ernest Cholakis and Jeannot Welter have mentioned some months ago that they were developing and testing some EQ impulses specifically for GOS. Do you have any idea what has happened to those experiments?

Slightly OT, but related... I own Altiverb and think it\'s really amazing for re-creating real spaces - putting an orchestra in a hall, a drumkit in a room, etc. etc. When I first got it, I thought it was the be all end all of my reverb needs, period. But then when you really think about it, and I\'m referring mostly to scoring stuff, an orchestra\'s recorded on a great stage (i.e. you\'ve got the great hall recorded) BUT, they almost always add some good old Lexicon or TC reverb when you go to mix, not for their modeling of space but cause they just make it sound better, more lush, more Unreal?!?. So, now I\'m thinking that a convolution verb is only half the battle - it gets you in the hall, but I find myself putting a bit of the fake reverb afterwards makes it sound better. Not real, just better. Kind of an oxymoron don\'t you think, or maybe I\'m just nuts.........

You\'re not just nuts. Traditional reverb is definitely a legitimate sound. There\'s nothing like a thick Lexicon on snare, for example.

But Altiverb makes me hate the Lexicon hall that I used to think was great.

Go Back to forum