• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: solo string opinions

Share/Bookmark

solo string opinions

I have been producing music for almost 5 yrs not but I am a new composer in the classical genre. I have been using EW Silver for a couple weeks. I was wondering what user\'s opinions were on kirk hunter solo strings and vienna solo strings. I know vienna is a bigger library but kirk hunter\'s demos sound great. Vienna has one demo and it has an entire orchestra in the background-not very helpful. I am mainly interested in playability and realism.....and of coarse value for my dollars! Any help or opinions will be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: solo string opinions

I\'m a big fan of KHSS. I don\'t own the new VSL solo strings so I can\'t offer first hand opinions about them.

KHSS has many, many velocity layers, so the notes always sound fresh. The articulations are expressive and useful. I especially like the hrd-sus patch, since it works for fast or slow work. Exp-sus has a slower attack for more relaxed melodies. The spiccato patches are fantastic for virtuoso and aggressive styles of play. The slides, marcato, detache and other articulations complete the picture.

Both KHSS and VSL-SS require Giga or some other sampler. Both are dry and rely on your use of reverb and panning for ambience and placement.

VSL\'s advantage in theory is their legato tool. I *really* want this for high woodwinds and sax, since those are typically weak for sampled sounds. I don\'t feel that it\'s as critical here, in that KHSS can be used pretty convincingly for fast play. Listen to the demos. Your opinions may vary. I don\'t play a real violin.

The other key measure is the sound. You\'ve got to judge that for yourself.

Basically it comes down to VSL\'s legato and VSL\'s sound, and whether those are worth the extra cost to you. If you decide to go for KHSS though, you\'re still getting a world class library. You won\'t be disappointed.

For some non-professional user demos of KHSS, check out the King\'s Chickens and Spider! on my website: http://www.fairhurst.com/jon/music

Have fun!

I second that. I also don´t own VSL but KHSS are simply awesome. I can only recommend them.

Best
    Holger

There are quite some demos of all our solo-instruments available online at www.vsl.co.at .

From the top navigation bar, go to Demos > Vienna Demos > Solo Instruments > Strings (or whatever you\'d like to hear). - There are \"Drop Down Menues\" to navigate, which are not properly displayed by some browsers (Opera, for example). They should open by just mousing over the menue-entry.

HTH,

How about KHSS comparisons to some of the older, smaller solo strings libraries such as Dan Dean, MV and AO? Nobody seems to have VSL yet, and I don\'t believe London Solo Strings has been released, but what about the solo string selections in the new East-West library?

EWQLSO has very limited solo strings. Only Violin and Cello and with very limited articulations.

Dan Dean sounds good but it only has 1 velocity layer and only one violin, viola and cello. AO has very noisy solo strings IMO.

The only 2 major libraries are KHSS and VSL.

Originally posted by Haydn:
    EWQLSO has very limited solo strings. Only Violin and Cello and with very limited articulations.

Dan Dean sounds good but it only has 1 velocity layer and only one violin, viola and cello. AO has very noisy solo strings IMO.

The only 2 major libraries are KHSS and VSL.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The ONLY major solo string library today is KHSS. VSL is not yet shipping.

What about Garritan? When\'s that coming out? I\'m very interested to see how it stacks up.

I have the VSL Pro Edition and the solo violin and cello is wonderful. I can easily play the solo violin part in Schindler\'s List.

Three legato patches :

- Legato
    - Legato Detaché
    - Legato Marcato

Of course, piano and forte and port

Originally posted by Haydn:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Certainly true. But, although I\'ve never been a fan of solo violin from any library, I think the Silver library works well here, especially in chamber material with the steinway. EWQLSO can definitely handle chamber music.

Go Back to forum