• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Apple iapps going to spell the end of low level film composers?

Share/Bookmark

Apple iapps going to spell the end of low level film composers?

It seems to me that between Soundtrack and the new Garage Band app from Apple the market a composer could break into (student, comercial beds, etc) will become even more fierce forcing most to have to work for free just to compete with software.
    Do you guys&gals agree/disagree?
    Chris

Re: Apple iapps going to spell the end of low level film composers?

Chris,

don´t worry to much pal. Have you ever heard of someone didn´t get a gig because the customer told him: \"I´ll use Soundtrack instead!\" ?
    I didn´t.
    I´m an Apple reseller and you know, we sold Soundtrack about... errr, one time...!
    Don´t be afraid. It still needs a musician to make it sound \"good\".

Best
    Holger

YEah, that\'s paranoia. This app will just give a hobbiest more options, I cant imagine having any affect on professional music making.

I think it will be great for aspiring kids, give them something better to do than chat to friends on IM and/or look girley pics.

Apple has a big vision, and i\'m sure this is just the beginning. Sure, it may look as though their focus is on the San Fran yuppie with 1.2 kids and a dog, but there is a big buzz floating around that they are gathering their troops to take on the Multimedia Creation world by storm! Also, rumor they are negotiating to purchase Apple Records :-O

I\'m curious to see how 2004 pans out for the litttle apple that could.

SWL

You guys are so naive it ain\'t even funny!

Paranoia in today\'s society is a distinct advantage over those who have none.

It\'s because of tools that make a musician out of anyone that the music composition industry is slowly dying.

If you really can\'t see it then best of luck to you when it finally hits you like a two ton heavy thing.

Ok, now I\'ll crawl back into my hole!

Chris:

Fill us in. What\'s so hot about Soundtrack and the new Garage Band app from Apple?

It\'s not just putting a track together that makes you a good composer for image. It\'s writing the right musical cue that counts. You also have to know where the best in and out points are, how to follow emotion, how to \'read\' a scene, etc. As well, GarageBand, AFAIK, does not include in its package things like CommunicationSkills, Discipline, ArrangingChops, iConfidence and iContacts (producers/directors, and fellow musicians for hire)

Let me put it to you this way: If you wanted to hire a photographer, would you hire someone who has a 200 dollar digital camera, a plastic tripod and 6 months experience, or the person with a professional kit and matching resume?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Guys...Apple hired the guy who is doing those apps from Sonic Foundry. They\'ve been around for years. So far they\'re just baby versions of ACID, and not even nearly caught up. Relax. No one is losing his job.

Ned, especially iDisciplin I´d be very interested in [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    I´m with Ned and Bruce on this. It takes more than a fancy application to make good music.
    Midphase, I don´t know why you think an application like Soundtrack could make anyone a good musician. Have you ever worked with it? It´s like LEGO (don´t know if anybody has a clue what I´m referring to) - just moving pieces of sampled phrases and clue them together. A brainless could do and the result sounds... brainless!?
    Anyway, nothing to be afraid of.

Best
    Holger

I\'m a drummer and have to watch as another million drum/perc sample libraries are released (seems like) daily. Drummers are still working and even using the sample libraries to advantage. If drummer are still working then it\'s probably safe to say that software/samples will never fully replace a live musician.

*I hope* [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Midiphase, i sense there is more to the story .... are you feeling as though , YOU directly are loosing business to these apps ??

I still dont know any Acid-Jockey working as full time composers, just techno/dance kiddies.

Technology will always be secondary to all the skills that go into be a musician, diplomat, artist, etc ...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast