• Register
  • Help

Topic: Staccato/slurred

Share/Bookmark

Staccato/slurred

I have a question regarding mixing staccato and slurred passages. I am using the Garritan COMB instruments in Sonar X2, and I have a passage of four 16th notes (trumpets) in which I want the first two notes slurred and the second two staccato. Is there any way of doing this without using two separate MIDI lines. I have tried using the legato controller (CC20), but it doesn't seem to work correctly. It may be that the notes are so close together that the sound engine doesn't have enough time to process the controller effect between notes. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Lightbulb Re: Staccato/slurred

Usually, and it's even more true if the passage is very fast, the articulation of the notes is more important than the patch or the controller.

Did you try to keep long, slightly overlapped the first two slurred notes, with a accent (higher velocity) on the first and lower velocity on the second, and very short with slightly higher velocity the second staccato two?

Re: Staccato/slurred

Quote Originally Posted by mkuehlok2 View Post
    ...I have tried using the legato controller (CC20), but it doesn't seem to work correctly...
    That's not the legato controller, CC64 is, or I guess it's still CC68 in notation programs. But CC20 is the Portamento control.

Pay attention to Fabio's reply - Doing what he says will get what you want. Overlap the legato notes and have their velocities very low, then get your staccato notes very short and very high velocity. I would use the full value of 127 in fact. In Garritan instruments, higher velocities makes the attack faster.

Randy

Re: Staccato/slurred

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
    Usually, and it's even more true if the passage is very fast, the articulation of the notes is more important than the patch or the controller.

Did you try to keep long, slightly overlapped the first two slurred notes, with a accent (higher velocity) on the first and lower velocity on the second, and very short with slightly higher velocity the second staccato two?
    In addition to the above, I have found that it helps to leave an appropriate sized gap between the last slurred note and the first staccato note.

Norman

Thumbs up Re: Staccato/slurred

Quote Originally Posted by jandjnelson View Post
    In addition to the above, I have found that it helps to leave an appropriate sized gap between the last slurred note and the first staccato note.

Norman
    Yes Norman, it's almost mandatory for a musical flow: I "learned" the best editing in 2 ways, by trial-and-error experiment, but also analysing the midi recording of my real time play on the keyboard:
    that's exactly what you do when you play or sing.

(I found myself always keeping short durations when I look for the best phrasing on the keyboard, and so I started imitating my playing style during editing of notation software output, reaching serious improvement)

Go Back to forum