• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Could you lend me your ears for a moment?

Share/Bookmark

Could you lend me your ears for a moment?

This is a piece of music I did for a course Im on called \"Music for the Media\" ( www.musicforthemedia.co.uk ) Im not going to tell you everything about the brief, except it was for a corporate video introduction. Anyway, I just wanted to know what you thought of the piece. Its only 40 seconds long.

I think I have a problem when it comes to mixing, mastering and EQing and so on. My mixes do tend to be a bit \"wall of sound\" \'ish, dont they? Does anyone have any advice on how to get away from that?

http://www.northernsounds.net/useruploads/img3ffc9fcfe531b.mp3

Ed

(PS: I know where Bill Brown gets at least one of his flute run sounds from now [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Re: Could you lend me your ears for a moment?

Ah, the old glass factory assignment. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Ed, it sounds good, I cant make any valid comments as I am listening through some crapola headphones right now. I liked the piece though (I know the brief) and I think you captured it quite well.

Who is your tutor?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Nice. I agree about your wall of sound comment. As far as this piece goes, perhaps a couple of things are contributing to it. I don\'t hear much material going out wide to the left or right...lots in the middle. Also, there is quite a lot of the content voiced in the octave around middle C. Allowing the various instrument choices to stake out territory through the whole potential of range, without a lot of doubling-up, will create more transparency and depth.

Good luck.

My mixes do tend to be a bit \"wall of sound\" \'ish, dont they? Does anyone have any advice on how to get away from that?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">My best advice for that is to reduce the sonic range of some instruments down a little. For example, you may roll off some of the lows in the piano since the melody is playing up high. Suddenly you might find another instrument is clearer since you made room for it.

I quite often roll off low frequencies on synth pad sounds as they tend to muddy up the bass guitar.

BTW, what library is the flute run from? AO?

Hey Scott,

Im glad you liked it. I\'ve had the course for about 3 weeks but hadent been able to start it until today since I\'ve been too busy. I\'ve only done 1 of the 4 tracks so far, but I submidted it to my tutor anyway to make sure he thinks im on the right track. I think I didnt give enough space for a voice over though... too much going on dont you think? I just know he is going to say that... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The glass factory assignment seems far easier than the Honda one. At first it seemed sexy to be writing for a car commercial but then I saw the kind of music they want you to write, and its really quite difficult! After all asking you to write Italian music and Jazz music convincingly with samples is hard enough without being asked to do it \"in the style of\" some composer.
    Which assigment did you pick for Unit 1?

My tutor is Peter Howell, what about you?

I just subscribed to the forum there and I see you have been spreading the good old Northern Sounds love [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . Now much activity there though. Which is a shame.

btw, I apologise to everyone else who has no idea what I am talking about here.

Ed

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    Nice. I agree about your wall of sound comment. As far as this piece goes, perhaps a couple of things are contributing to it. I don\'t hear much material going out wide to the left or right...lots in the middle. Also, there is quite a lot of the content voiced in the octave around middle C. Allowing the various instrument choices to stake out territory through the whole potential of range, without a lot of doubling-up, will create more transparency and depth.

Good luck.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You picked out everything I was already aware of (perhaps trying to get away with), which Im glad about since it means I already know where my faults lie, in part.

The activity around C is probably due to the fact I played the strings a little slopily I suppose.

I didnt pan the piano or guitar very much, if I did that would that help it sound less \"wall of sound\" \'ish? Personally I think its because of the way I use reverb and EQ on seperate instruments that, that effect is created.

Thanks for listening Bruce, I admire your knowledge and experience.

Ed.

Hi Ed, as I had a hand in setting up the John M Keane interview here, I thought it might be of interest to the students of MFTM to be able to ask questions of a working composer. Not to mention that NS is an excellent resource for composers both starting out and established.

I too chose the glass factory assignment. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I am up to unit 4 currently and my tutor is Ron De Jong.

If you do their next course, I actually wrote the content for Unit 3; \"Optimising your PC for Audio\"

Cheers, Scott.

Hey Scott,

Cool, I hadent thought of that but I knew it probably had something to do with Eq. I\'ll have to try that next time. Cheers!

The flute run is from Advanced Media Trax: Classical Composer by Best Service. There is a patch on there with a few woodwind FX like the one you hear here. I think AMT took it from Orchestral Colours though. I might just get Orchestral Colours for the little effects like this. I love woodwind effects like this, and maybe OC has more.

Im afriad I have never heard of Ron De Jong, what has he done? what do you mean \"their next course\"?

Ed

Great piece Ed, although I agree with your thoughts on the mix.

Just off topic. How did you manage to register at the MTFM forum? I\'ve tried about a million times now. Everytime I go to the host site and register it all goes fine until it says that I\'ve been sent an e-mail which will enable me to confirm my registration. Invariably this turns out to be something of a lie. And when I click on the button which says \'Use if you haven\'t received a mail from us,\' it still doesn\'t work. Unfortunately I can\'t register with the MTFM mailing list until my membership is confirmed, so I\'ve never managed to get so far. And there\'s no point mailing Guy Michaelmore until I\'ve managed this.

I\'ve tried from several different machines, using 3 different e-mail addresses now, and it\'s been the same every time. All I do get is a lot of junk mail starting the day after I try. Clearly there are people here who\'ve managed it thought, so I must be doing something wrong. Please tell me what.

I agree. This sounds very nice but you\'re right about the voice overs i think. As to the panning, you could try putting the piano a little to the right and the guitar a little to the left to separate things a little. I think doing this alone would open up the sound quite a bit.

Go Back to forum