• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Harpsichord Concerto in Eb Major - 1st movement

Share/Bookmark

Harpsichord Concerto in Eb Major - 1st movement

Hi everybody,

Here I'm back after a too long period... Kicking and alive, and still producing music. During my absence, I've taken ample time to study mainly the sound and articulations of the SE VSL classical instruments in cooperation with Notion and Finale. For the moment, Notion seems to be the winner, but who am I to say anything about Finale.
    One of the study pieces was the above mentioned concerto. Many notes, not too many instruments (1st and 2d chamber violins, cellos, harpsichord). First movement of the Harpsichord Concert in Eb Major by Johann Christian Bach.

I didn't use any DAW, only Audacity for compression and normalisation. All the rest has been done with Notion4, Vienna Ensemble Pro (mixing), Vienna Intsruments Pro (instruments interface) and MIR Pro for impulse respons reverb (overall -34% dry/wet, 1.1 sec reverb duration).

Here's the link, hope you enjoy this wonderful piece of Baroque music.

Max

Harpsichord Concerto

Re: Harpsichord Concerto in Eb Major - 1st movement

You did not give credit to the composer of this piece. I do not recognize it. Who wrote it?

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    You did not give credit to the composer of this piece. I do not recognize it. Who wrote it?

Larry
    Larry this is by Johann Christian Bach, op.7 no 5.

Fab

Thumbs up Re: Harpsichord Concerto in Eb Major - 1st movement

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi everybody,

I didn't use any DAW, only Audacity for compression and normalisation. All the rest has been done with Notion4, Vienna Ensemble Pro (mixing), Vienna Intsruments Pro (instruments interface) and MIR Pro for impulse respons reverb (overall -34% dry/wet, 1.1 sec reverb duration).
    Hi Max, you got a set of tools with incredible potential:
    Notion is very clever in managing VSTs and VSL SE in particular (I own it and I love the audio engine and the conductor function for tempo map creation in real time), but if you import the midi output of Notion in a DAW (maybe not 20 minutes of music LOL or you should spend your entire life editing it I know, but let's say 2 or 3 minutes) and work on details, you will discover that the expressive combination of VSL articulations, velocities and cc11 (expression) edited in the DAW provide you with a great satisfaction, have a bit of fun with it, it's rewarding.

You may start with few bars just as experiment, and if you "get the virus" (as I do) you will find yourself expert and quick enough to finish short pieces at a new level.

enjoy and share! all the best, F.

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    Larry this is by Johann Christian Bach, op.7 no 5.

Fab
    Ahhh. Thank you, Sir.

At my advanced age my memory is no longer working as it should.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Ahhh. Thank you, Sir.

At my advanced age my memory is no longer working as it should.

Larry
    Buy some extra highspeed RAM.... or better as we had in the past days one or more EPROMS....

Raymond

...Here I'm back after a too long period... Kicking and alive, and still producing music. During my absence, I've taken ample time to study mainly the sound and articulations of the SE VSL classical instruments in cooperation with Notion and Finale. For the moment, Notion seems to be the winner...

I didn't use any DAW, only Audacity for compression and normalisation...

...hope you enjoy this wonderful piece of Baroque music.

Max
    There's Max! It brightens the place up to have you here again, welcome back!

Your rendering of this wonderful music is sublime, Max. This is so much better than the current crop of demos at the Finale site (there's a thread about it in General Discussion) that it's crazy. I've been impressed before by what people are doing with Notion, but never more so than after hearing your sparkling, excellent recording.

Something magical about your project is that the great pleasure you had from working on it is clearly heard in the results - I'm extremely impressed!

Randy

Hi Randy,

You're right, it was a pure pleasure to work with that marvellous music. However, to obtain a good result was not simple. And it may sound a little presumptuous, but I'm not entirely pleased with the final result. I had to use far too many artificial tricks to have the strings sound somewhat natural. The intention was to use the chamber strings, but that didn't work at all. And I agree with Fabio (and with Raymond), it might be necessary to use a good DAW to finalise the Notion job.

But I'm pleased with your encouraging words. It's always nice to be appreciated by the master himself.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
    Hi Max, you got a set of tools with incredible potential:
    Notion is very clever in managing VSTs and VSL SE in particular (I own it and I love the audio engine and the conductor function for tempo map creation in real time), but if you import the midi output of Notion in a DAW (maybe not 20 minutes of music LOL or you should spend your entire life editing it I know, but let's say 2 or 3 minutes) and work on details, you will discover that the expressive combination of VSL articulations, velocities and cc11 (expression) edited in the DAW provide you with a great satisfaction, have a bit of fun with it, it's rewarding.

You may start with few bars just as experiment, and if you "get the virus" (as I do) you will find yourself expert and quick enough to finish short pieces at a new level.

enjoy and share! all the best, F.
    Hi Fabio,

Honestly, I wouldn't know what DAW I should use (on a Mac with OSX Mavericks). Can you inform me about some decent possibilities? What do you use?

Max

Hi Fabio,

Honestly, I wouldn't know what DAW I should use (on a Mac with OSX Mavericks). Can you inform me about some decent possibilities? What do you use?

Max
    Hi Max, another incarnation of Fabio here.
    I suggest you to have a look to Cubase and Logic Pro X.
    The latter has a friendly way to set up the whole thing — something that can sound "toyish" to many pro users.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast