• Register
  • Help

Topic: String Quartet nr. 3 - part 1

Share/Bookmark

String Quartet nr. 3 - part 1

Finally something from this side of the great ocean............ (Ocean's x - without Clooney)

Made with:

• VSL, Special Edition Strings Vol. 1 / Vol 1 Plus
    • Vienna Instruments PRO
    • Overture for notation, MIDI editing (keyswitches, CC's - a lot of them) and audio output per track
    • SONAR for importing those audiotracks, rendering, adding Altiverb ToddAO, balancing, etc.
    • Adobe Audition for just amplifying the exported audio from SONAR

link

Now for the three other parts.........

Raymond

Re: String Quartet nr. 3 - part 1

Simply IMPRESSIVE.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

This is indeed impressive. I mailed over and over again with Raymond, we constantly communicate about all kinds of musical matters, but mostly about the use of SE Strings by Vienna. The solo strings are the toughest (they are so to say 'naked' and can't hide anything - articulations, bowing, dynamics, instrument typical acoustics or resonance, snare and bow noises - and as you can hear, Raymond is the best at all that. He's not only a very skilled composer, he has the fine ear to come as closely as possible to the real thing and on top of all that talent, he has the skills to realise it all!

With great admiration!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    This is indeed impressive. I mailed over and over again with Raymond, we constantly communicate about all kinds of musical matters, but mostly about the use of SE Strings by Vienna. The solo strings are the toughest (they are so to say 'naked' and can't hide anything - articulations, bowing, dynamics, instrument typical acoustics or resonance, snare and bow noises - and as you can hear, Raymond is the best at all that. He's not only a very skilled composer, he has the fine ear to come as closely as possible to the real thing and on top of all that talent, he has the skills to realise it all!

With great admiration!

Max
    Next time you mention this, I will send you a bill........ (haha).

Raymond

As you probably know, my smalz reveal my poor and ancient taste, so your modern, certainly not smalzy composition should not appeal to me, but it does. I had to play it twice and by the time it ended the second time, I was sold.
    You see it takes time to overcome my moss-ridden taste...
    Great, and super sounds....
    Thanks and congratulation, waiting for the rest...

Ted

The problem with your works, Raymond, is that one can not simply listen to them light-heartedly: Listener must put some dedication and concentration, I am pretty sure this is the way they are meant.
    So... I' ve come to this a few times during the last days.

Easy to guess the kind of time and effort you put into this. The new set up clearly works very well in your hands. I still think that the sound is in the "musician's fingers"; so, though I do not always like the sound of VSL's solo strings, I must say that there is nothing sounding wrong at all here.

Composition-wise I enjoyed the rhythmical unity and the wise management of dynamics of the opening and closing sections, enclosing the central slower section which is strongly characterized by a small motive that keeps repeating, with or without small variations. I think the whole is very balanced and, though contemporary music is not really my thing, this is a very mature and solid work.

You are always a challenging composer and a challenging mind. Congratulations.

Fab

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    The problem with your works, Raymond, is that one can not simply listen to them light-heartedly: Listener must put some dedication and concentration, I am pretty sure this is the way they are meant.
    Never thought of that. OK, next time some lighter work.

You are always a challenging composer and a challenging mind. Congratulations.

Fab
    Oh boy, I never was the last 65 years and suddenly it creeps in. It is meant to be a compliment, thank you, but it set me off thinking about some ...... what? Just kidding. Thank you all for listening. I finished the 2nd part and here all shortcomings of those VSL Special Edition Strings (subset of the real Solo Strings) came to surface. Will post it later.

Have a nice sunday. Don't you think Internet is the greatest invention ever. Without it we never were able to share our creative outbursts!!

Raymond

Sure those were compliments!

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Have a nice sunday. Don't you think Internet is the greatest invention ever. Without it we never were able to share our creative outbursts!!

Raymond
    It is, but I am also a bit frightened. It is becoming "too dominant" and making people stop socializing "face to face".
    It is up to all of us to properly manage it and avoid its dark sides. But yes... its power to annihilate distances is amazing.

Have a nice Sunday, too.

Fabry

Go Back to forum