• Register
  • Help

Topic: Translator

Share/Bookmark

Translator

Anyone have any experience using
    Translator to convert Roland disks into
    Giga format? What is the format for storing on hard disk performances, patches?

Thanks

Steve

Re: Translator

I have translator. I must say that conversion from Roland to Gigasampler goes very well. It is however not as good as for example the Nemesys S-convertor. Sometimes envelopes or loops are not set correctly. But a lot of sample convert fine so it well worth the money for me. Also the user interface is a bit strange. Besides that, there are really a lot of updates. Every few weeks they have improvements and new conversions. So if enough people support this, this is gonna be an even more interesting program than it already is.

Gigasampler has only an DADSR to work with, so certain envelope structures in the Roland aren\'t going to translate very well. Translator has an easy and full diagnostic scheme to where if there is a problem, any user can easily send the example in and we can comment or fix the issue, usually within a matter of hours.

We just added support for most of the alternative looping functions in the Roalnd, such as the ALT (bi-directional) and the Reverse Loop stuff.

(For the next two comments I apologize for seemingly defending the product, but I don\'t understand the above comments.)

I don\'t see how the interface can seem a little strange - it is the Explorer-clone interface, and operates very/just like Explorer. The intent was to make it as familiar as possible. Translations are easy - just drag what you want to where you want it.

Re: comparing it with S-Convertor; our Translator does more complex things, which usually opens it up more problems. The Akai platform is frightfully simple and easy to translate from - the Roland is much harder due to an adequate set of programming parameters. I do think the Roland translation as it stands is extremely good.

Gigasampler has only an DADSR to work with, so certain envelope structures in the Roland aren\'t going to translate very well. Translator has an easy and full diagnostic scheme to where if there is a problem, any user can easily send the example in and we can comment or fix the issue, usually within a matter of hours.

We just added support for most of the alternative looping functions in the Roalnd, such as the ALT (bi-directional) and the Reverse Loop stuff.

(For the next two comments I apologize for seemingly defending the product, but I don\'t understand the above comments.)

I don\'t see how the interface can seem a little strange - it is the Explorer-clone interface, and operates very/just like Explorer. The intent was to make it as familiar as possible. Translations are easy - just drag what you want to where you want it.

Re: comparing it with S-Convertor; our Translator does more complex things, which usually opens it up more problems. The Akai platform is frightfully simple and easy to translate from - the Roland is much harder due to an adequate set of programming parameters. I do think the Roland translation as it stands is extremely good.

Thanks for the compliments - Buld 24 should be up shortly. Also please note that Nemesys is now selling the Translator Giga Edition on their web site.

(Sorry for the duplicate posts - quirk in the forum software and us wanting to add the thank you...)

We are just finishing an S-Convertor II which solves some of the inaccuracies that the S-Convertor does. It will be avaialble in the same form as the other Translator stuff. See are still waiting for the documentation from Nemesys on getting the conversions to work in Gigastudio\'s interface like the S-Convertor, SF-convertor, and Audio-Convertors do now.

Like I said in my post, good to see a company so deticated to it\'s software. Hopefully Nemesys will send you the documentation soon. It would be great to see the two programs interact with eachother. BTW, even without the interaction they are working fine together. Too bad that the Gigastudio\'s quicksound does not update and sees the translated sounds.

I\'m very interested in the translator because I have the Kurt Hunter Virtuoso Strings in E-mu Format. I\'m leaning towards selling the E-mu\'s and going completely with Gigastudios.

Could anyone comment how how the Translator program does with converting e-mu samples (and especially the Kirk Hunter if someone\'s done it yet).

Thanks,
    Mahlon Bouldin

I find it amazing that Nemesys hasn\'t allowed the import of Wave Distribution Files .WDC which are their own proprietry format. Whats the point of using this feature to make say drum kits if you cant change from .WDC to .GIG.

Maybe Translator could deal with .WDC.
    Also while your at it, bidirectional conversions of Kurzweil <>.gig.

I currently own CDXtract which also does exellent roland/akai conversions to gig and is a bit cheaper than translator.

For translator to be attractive to me, bidirectional conversions of SF2, Kurz, Rol,Akai and GIG would be neccesary.

Translator has a lot of updates. Since the start of this tread there have already been a few! Build 26 is the latest. Most issues I had with Roland samples were due to the alternate looping that GS doesn\'t have. In build 26 they convert perfect now. Another thing I have to say here is that their support is great. They respond fast, but most of all serious. Plus they really improve the conversion that fails, wow.......

I can vouch here.

For the past couple of weeks, I\'ve been assisting as a \"beta tester\" of sorts (by my own insistance) through the process of perfecting the Roland > Giga conversions. The guys at CS have been following through with a tremendous commitment to the end, and I can honestly say that because of this, the latest build far surpasses the conversions of CDXtract (which I happen to own and still like very much concerning Akai conversions).

The bottom line is this: Translator is a one of a kind program that will ALWAYS be in a state of development (hence the price tag, I assume). I recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone willing to accept the idea that some translations, although supported, may still require a bit of testing, analysis, and rewriting before they reach a point 100%acceptable to the end user (except for the Roland thing - I think we pretty much got that covered

During this period, we had a corespondence that occurred daily. These guys aim for total satisfaction, and that\'s their greatest strength.

Austin

Go Back to forum