• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help selecting libraries please

Help selecting libraries please

I am getting close to the time I need to make a final decision on a few sample libraries.

I am doing a pretty large project, with a strong base in the prog-rock/metal genre. Basically a Floyd meets Rush meets Dream Theatre meets Queensryche (Operation era) type thing.

I currently own:
    Kontakt, SampleTank (1 & 2), Reason 2.5, Kurzweil K2500XS

While the Kurz is nice, my main songwriting is being done in another room, with no hardware available, so I was planning on sticking with Kontakt (really like it...so far [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Anyway, in that context, I am looking for the following, and am leaning toward...

Orchestral: Garritan Personal Orch.
    Looking for a decent orch lib.
    Do not need anything extravegant, as *most* of the orch parts will lie within tracks of guitars, bass, etc. However, quality is important at the price point I am trying to stay within; about $200-500.

Piano: Bosendorfer 290.
    Very important to me.
    As far as flexability is concerned, I can get by for non-grand sounding pianos with samples/equip I have. A well done grand is a different story [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Once again- $200-500 range (or lower).

Choir: VOTA.
    Caveat: Kontakt is the only sampler I have that *may* be capable of translating. While it is tempting to grab Giga, even if solely for the ability to use this library, I have extenuating circumstances that would make this difficult to implement for the writing process, which is where I am at now. Since a Kontakt/Kompakt ver is rumored to be forthcoming, I am fearing that translation in a usable form is not available for this library? Alternate suggestions? Flexability is the prime cinsideration here.

FX: Wind, rain, human body sounds (ie heartbeat, footsteps, etc), forest, and currently non-tech age outdoors. Maybe a site with downloadable wav\'s, soundfonts, etc? Looking for quality, and licensing, as they will be used in music, which will have animation created for as well. $100-300

For synths, I am going a semi-traditional route, with B4, Pro-53, and maybe one or two others. Unless there are any sample libraries that can compete with these emulations in software?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    The project is a series of books I am writing, which will be put to music, and then remixed in 5.1 for DVD, put to an animated version of the stories, with some extra dialog and narration added. Creating a mood is more important than pushing the tech envelope ala Dream Theatre tho [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Re: Help selecting libraries please

I would also suggest Atmosphere by Spectrasonics, GPO is probably a good choice but you might also consider EWQLSO Silver...It think it might sit a litte better in the mix...IMHO...

You might try Halion to run VOTA as it has great giga import...or wait for the kompakt stand alone version.

Also, have you checked out EWQL Storm Drums? Very, very cool sounding...The Pro 53 is real nice... also Absynth has some great leads too. Or FM-7 if you like that yamaha 80\'s FM DX9 synth sound. If you have any student status you can find native instrument products and halion extremely discounted at www.academicsuperstore.com

Thx for the replies so far [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Hope to get a little more feedback, as I am looking to buy at least one this week, with the rest to follow shortly. My bad for waiting so long, but with all that has been going on with my project, I actually only found this site recently.

Since I am planning on doing music in a similar vein to that of Pink Floyd, Yes, Queensryche, and maybe a bit heavier (more \"metal\" I guess) at times, how things will \"sit\" in a mix with \"rock\" and \"metal\" type tracks is important. I guess most would simply grab one and be happy, but I am being a little more picky [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Mood will be more important than \"expressions of technical proficiency.\" [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I have now spent hours (yes, hours) going through posts and threads in this section, as well as the Garritan and EWQL sections. I had no idea of the \"debates\" going on over EWQLSO and GPO. While it is actually down to these two for my orchestral needs (primarily strings) at this time, I am able to buy only one. I could forgo other library purchases for both, but I do not feel that would be a good decision, given the limited nature of my uses. I really wish there were more demos of the EWQLSO; Without hearing more, it is very difficult to compare based upon what is there currently. GPO does have quite a bit in the way of demo material.

For the orchestral library, my primary concerns are:
    Strings, Church Organ, Tubular Bells.
    The rest is secondary, but still very important!

I like the EWQLO Gold, but it is just out of my price range (for now). A future purchase may be there, and it is this that swings me toward the Silver now. Silver seems to be just enough to get you drooling for the Gold version.

VOTA seems to be a final choice. Keeping sample libraries \"in the family\" is also pushing me toward the EWQL silver.

Still unsure about piano, but I am leaning toward PMI 290 Bos. The wet sounds useless for me, but the dry (although still wet), appeals to me. Both EWQL and GPO have a Steinway, so that\'s an extra to play with as well [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

For pads, Morphology looks good, as does Atmosphere. However, aren\'t these really like a pre-loaded sample player? I am more into constructing sounds from scratch for pads and leads, which is why I was originally going with Pro-53 (or Absynth).

Since I own and like Kontakt, any of these choices are sounding good tome, but I love second opinions (and third...) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I am not trying to instigate or anything- I really am just trying to find if there are any other people hanging here who have used any of these libraries in a similar type of use, and any alternate suggestions for any library (please!).

Orchestral, Piano, Church Organ, Tubular Bells, B3, Choir, Pads, Synth Leads- thats what I need to cover.

Thx for the FX suggestion; I have been scouring sf2/wav/etc sites, both the free and paid ones for the ones I need for a few months (in my free time [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ).

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Hi Nikki,

DAMN. What do you do when you\'re not buying gear? Nice setup. That Conklin fretless looks sweet.

Definitely check out The White Grand for one option on piano. It\'s not a Bosie--it\'s a 9\' Malmsjo, but I think it\'s got exactly the sound you are looking for. www.sampletekk.com I like the PMI Bos, and use it, but it\'s not going to punch through any significant combination of those guitars!!

Absynth may be cool for you. Reaktor may also be cool for you. There are literally thousands of user-built instruments for Reaktor that generate interesting material. If you don\'t mind Reaktor\'s more complex (not that much) setups with the sequencer, you will definitely get lots of emulations of traditional synths and organs with it, but you\'ll also get the kinds of sound generation tools that don\'t come in the more compact synth packages. To a large extent, Reaktor will \"do\" every synth that NI makes.

I like Hollywood Edge for effects, but I\'m not sure there\'s a breakdown into the particular sounds you mentioned without buying sounds that probably don\'t have a use on the project. Still, you might check it out. www.soundelux.com

Good luck. The project certainly sounds ambitious, and you have definitely geared up for it.

Bruce- thanks so much- the White Grand just got a definite spot!

Although a jazz type demo, the first one on their site immediately said \"Goodbye Yellow Brick Road!\" I must have re-listened to that demo (and the second) about a dozen times now, and it is exactly what I was looking for. The \"dryness\" of the WG comes through even with the reverb used, which makes it nicer for rock type stuff, since it will make it much easier to \"fit\" in the mix. Awesome! Plus, it sounds very responsive, and I did not hear any of the (usual?) inconsistencies when crossing ranges, velocities, etc. I always seem to find a range transistion that seems to make ya go, \"Ugh- it was perfect right up to that point...\"

I am so torn on orchectral. EWQLSO silver has so few demos, and even though GPO has a bunch, there are none to really suggest which may sit better in the type of mix I will be using it for (primarily).

Does one of the two stand out string, church organ, and tubular bell wise? Or am I better going with a dedicated library for Church Organ and Tubular Bells (orchestral chimes) and flipping a coin for GPO vs EWQLSO Silver?

Thx again!

Oh- Bruce- thx- been in music for years (both sides of the desk; played in bands, done FOH, monitors, LD, and studio work, both sides, as well). Accident lef tme paralyzed a couple years ago, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as it got me back into music (big time), and has afforded me the time attempt to bring a life long dream to reality [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The Conklins are both awesome instruments. I have been using 7 string guitars for about a decade, and when I saw the Conklin basses, I HAD to try one.

Going the Steve Vai route- recording my way, no comprimises due to outside pressure [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Not looking to get famous or wealthy, just want to get my \"art\" out of my head- hehee! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] The project I am doing- i9 - is pretty big: first \"project\" is 9 books, with the story put to music over 9 cd\'s, and then remixed in 5.1, and then animation, and extra dialog/narration added for the 9 dvd\'s. Hope it works... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

It sounds very cool. I hope you\'ll let us know when you have some results we can hear/see.

Go Back to forum