• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Finale 2014 percussion

Share/Bookmark

Finale 2014 percussion

I am working on a piece for concert band that calls for a large gong. I have 2 Aria banks open with the gong staff in bank 2, channel 9. Using a single line staff, the large gong is directly on the line. However, although the studio view shows the gong is being played, there is no sound. I have double checked that the gong is assigned to the correct bank and channel. What can I possibly be missing?

Re: Finale 2014 percussion

Sounds like the staff is set up incorrectly. I work in Finale 2011, which is a bit different from 2012 and 2014, so I can't offer specifics. You might want to post your message in the MM forum, and if you include the file or a sample of the file, the experts there can analyze your setup and fix the problem.

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Hello Tom,

Are you using the Finale 2014 Trial Version?

The 'Large Gong' patch is showing as a 'Garrritan Instruments for Finale' instrument and is not included with the Finale 2014 Trial Version.

Will do some more investigating.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Hello again Tom,

Right .. here's more info and something for you to try. This is all assuming that you are not using the Trial version or that if using the Trial Version you have installed GPO and GPO is accessible within Finale.

First, as I mentioned earlier, that 'Large Gong' instrument is included in the 'Garritan Instruments For Finale' which is named as the 'Finale Default Bank' in the ARIA Player banks.

It is also included in GPO. In both of these, (Finale Default Bank and GPO) the 'Large Gong' resides in the 'Percussion-Basic Orchestral Percussion' path.

For my percussion, I ALWAYS use a standard 5-line stave with either a standard treble or Bass clef. I never use the single line with the percussion clef. I would suggest you try this, setting it up manually to see if it works.

1. Just open a standard document with one standard stave with a treble clef for this patch.
    2. Go into Finale's 'MIDI/Audio Menu and set up an instance of ARIA Player.
    3. Use either GPO or the 'Finale Default Bank' and load 'Percussion-Basic / Orchestral Percussion'.
    4. The note for the Gong is the G#6 as shown in the following screenshot.

Hopefully this will all now work. Please let us know how it goes.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    Hello again Tom,

Right .. here's more info and something for you to try. This is all assuming that you are not using the Trial version or that if using the Trial Version you have installed GPO and GPO is accessible within Finale.

First, as I mentioned earlier, that 'Large Gong' instrument is included in the 'Garritan Instruments For Finale' which is named as the 'Finale Default Bank' in the ARIA Player banks.

It is also included in GPO. In both of these, (Finale Default Bank and GPO) the 'Large Gong' resides in the 'Percussion-Basic Orchestral Percussion' path.

For my percussion, I ALWAYS use a standard 5-line stave with either a standard treble or Bass clef. I never use the single line with the percussion clef. I would suggest you try this, setting it up manually to see if it works.

1. Just open a standard document with one standard stave with a treble clef for this patch.
    2. Go into Finale's 'MIDI/Audio Menu and set up an instance of ARIA Player.
    3. Use either GPO or the 'Finale Default Bank' and load 'Percussion-Basic / Orchestral Percussion'.
    4. The note for the Gong is the G#6 as shown in the following screenshot.

Hopefully this will all now work. Please let us know how it goes.
    The information you gave is absolutely correct except for the gong on G#. On mine it appears on B. Still it did not work until I stumbled on the need to assign a percussion map. After that it worked great except for volume. It seems that I cannot get a nice strong hit on the gong regardless of the volume assigned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    ... correct except for the gong on G#. On mine it appears on B...
    G#4 is the key for the Large Gong. On B4 is the Medium Gong2, with Medium Gong1 on A4 and Tam Tam on A#4- reference is page 94 of the GPO manual.

I hear this so often, about the difficulty in getting much volume out of the percussion instruments in Finale. I wonder why that is? But you do need to use whatever controls those are that result in pushing up the faders in ARIA. Get the Gong's fader clear to the top, and lower the faders for everything else to get a better balance.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    G#4 is the key for the Large Gong. On B4 is the Medium Gong2, with Medium Gong1 on A4 and Tam Tam on A#4- reference is page 94 of the GPO manual.

I hear this so often, about the difficulty in getting much volume out of the percussion instruments in Finale. I wonder why that is? But you do need to use whatever controls those are that result in pushing up the faders in ARIA. Get the Gong's fader clear to the top, and lower the faders for everything else to get a better balance.

Randy
    On the 5-line treble staff in Finale 2014, the percussion notes will only go to G natural which is a suspended crash cymbal, and down to first space F which is a bass drum roll. The Large gong is on the third line (B) of the treble staff. It does sound nicely in that position if basic percussion map is selected. However, with all Aria faders at max and a dynamic marking of sFz, the gong can barely be heard above a flute set at mp level.

All that said, I have been hoodwinked many many times because terms and values are misunderstood on my part.

Still hoping that someone can tell me what I am doing incorrectly.

I'm no expert at Finale but I do use it. Did you set the correct Percussion Map in the Instrument List? I have goofed that up a few times.

Rich
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    On the 5-line treble staff in Finale 2014, the percussion notes will only go to G natural...
    You can't go beyond the staff and make that a #--? Or, as Rich is suggesting, are you sure you have the right percussion map?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    You can't go beyond the staff and make that a #--? Or, as Rich is suggesting, are you sure you have the right percussion map?

Randy
    My options:

Garritan Instruments for Finale
    * Basic Orchestra Percussion - I selected this one
    *Percission Toys
    *Marching Percussion
    *Jazz Fusion Drum Kit
    *Brush Drum Kit
    *Ethnic Percussion
    *Gamelan Ensemble
    *Tablas
    *Basic African Percussion
    *Electronic Drum Kit

General Midi

SmartMusic SoftSynth

*Row-Loft Marching Percussion
    *Cuban Percussion
    *Brazilian Percussion
    *African Percussion
    *World Percussion
    *Orchestral Percussion

Tapspace Drumline

And no, I have only up to G just above the staff and down to first space F. The G will not accept a sharp.

Go Back to forum