• Register
  • Help

Topic: Volume control for World/Banjo

Share/Bookmark

Volume control for World/Banjo

I just purchased the Finale 2014 upgrade, which included ARIA Player v1.620 and ARIA Engine v1.626.

I find that when I run ARIA in stand-alone mode and load the World/Banjo instrument, the output volume level remains constant regardless of the position of the channel slider on the Mixer panel, even if it is set to zero. I've spot-checked the other instruments and almost all work properly, though the World/Celtic Harp has the same problem.

This is true on my desktop computer running Windows XP Media Edition, as well as on my laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. And the same thing happens using the ARIA VST instrument within Cubase 5.

Any suggestions?

Thanks --

-- Fred Goldrich

Edited to add:

I've now checked the entire Finale Default Bank, and the following sixteen instruments have the problem described above -- in the ARIA Player, they play at full volume even when the slider is set at zero.

Woodwinds / Flutes / Alto Flute Solo
    Woodwinds / Flutes / Bass Flute Solo
    Woodwinds / Oboes and Eng. Horn / Oboe D'Amore Solo
    Woodwinds / Clarinets / Contrabass Clarinet Solo
    Woodwinds / Clarinets / Eb Clarinet Solo
    Brass / Trumpets / Piccolo Trumpet Solo
    Percussion / Percussion Toys KS
    Percussion / Tubular Bells KS
    Pipe Organ / Baroque Plenum Pedal
    Pipe Organ / Baroque Plenum Reeds
    World / Banjo
    World / Basic African Percussion
    World / Celtic Harp
    World / Fife
    World / Steel Drums
    World / Tablas

Re: Volume control for World/Banjo

Fred, would you please post this question in General Discussion? Use the Forum Jump menu at the bottom right of this Forum's front page. General is about the only Forum that members check into anymore, and so if you post there, more Finale users will have a chance to help you out.

I'm not a Finale user, so my tests can't speak to your problem. I opened ARIA and tested four of the instruments in your list in both Stand alone, and as a VST in Sonar. ARIA's volume fader worked on all of them, with no sound when moved to the bottom, and full, loud sound when the fader was moved to the top. All works as it should - but the Libraries I checked with are all the full versions of the Garritan Libraries, not this special Finale set of sounds - Like I said, with what I have, I can't really help you out.

Hope to see you re-post this in General, with the same message text you have here. But it would be good to re-write the subject line so it includes the word Finale, and not make it a problem specific to the Banjo - indicate many instruments are behaving this way. Something like "Finale 2014 lack of volume control on numerous Garritan instruments"--something like that.

I'll add that people are having all sorts of bad problems with this Finale upgrade - It could be you're finding a genuine bug -The bug list is exploding, unfortunately.

Randy B.

Randy -- Thanks for your reply. I must say, I posted here because a Google search on "Aria problem" led me here; it wasn't until after I left the message that it occurred to me that the MakeMusic/Garritan forum would be a more appropriate place. So I've posted there as well but have not yet received a response.

I will take your suggestion and repost on the General forum. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by goldrich View Post
    Randy -- Thanks for your reply. I must say, I posted here because a Google search on "Aria problem" led me here; it wasn't until after I left the message that it occurred to me that the MakeMusic/Garritan forum would be a more appropriate place. So I've posted there as well but have not yet received a response.

I will take your suggestion and repost on the General forum. Thanks again.
    Right, I understand a search would you lead you here, Fred - That wasn't a mistake, and it was fine to post here. It's just that as moderator, I know that this particular part of the Garritan Forum has grown cobwebs, and so your best bet is to post in General Discussion.

There's very little actual peer-to-peer support at MakeMusic. They've been planning for 1 1/2 years now to have a user Forum like this, but it hasn't made an appearance yet. This group of Forums we're on here are the original ones set up by Gary Garritan - and so this is where you'll get the best feedback. It's best to always post here, well, in General, before posting and hoping for a response at the MM site--that's not actually a Forum.

Please do post your question in General.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Please do post your question in General. Randy
    Thanks. I did go ahead and post my question in General. But as it turns out, I did get a response over at MM (which I noted in a reply to myself in the General thread). I don't know if you've been following it, but it turns out that I've come up with an actual bug, which they hope to resolve in a future release. Not the answer I was hoping for, but that's the way it goes. (You can read their response at http://garritan.custhelp.com/app/acc...l/i_id/1087368.) Thanks again for your help. -- Fred

Thanks. I did go ahead and post my question in General. But as it turns out, I did get a response over at MM (which I noted in a reply to myself in the General thread). I don't know if you've been following it, but it turns out that I've come up with an actual bug, which they hope to resolve in a future release. Not the answer I was hoping for, but that's the way it goes. (You can read their response at http://garritan.custhelp.com/app/acc...l/i_id/1087368.) Thanks again for your help. -- Fred
    Hello again, Fred - Yes, I was getting the feeling that you'd uncovered a bug. It's so glaring, seems like it would have been noticed before!- I hadn't encountered anything like the volume problem, because I use Sonar, and in DAW software, the volume faders are working for all those instruments.

I'm not sure where you re-posted your question though - You say here you put it in General Discussion, but it's not there. I'm talking about Garritan General Discussion:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/21

I invite you to get involved there in any case- Meanwhile, after signing in at MakeMusic, I wasn't allowed to see the Support response you linked to, because that's a support ticket just for you.

Randy

Randy -- LOL! Well, I guess we got our signals crossed again -- I posted in Forum / General Discussion / Off Topic General Discussion, and the thread is at http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ontrol-in-ARIA. I also didn't realize the MM thread was private -- I posted the link in a couple of places! -- and here is what the reply said: "After evaluating the patches you listed, I notice that they are all new 2014 patches that were recently added to the Garritan Instruments for Finale library. I can replicate the issue that you are having with these patches and have reported it to the Finale team. This problem has been identified as a software defect and has been assigned to our product development department. If possible, the defect will be scoped and corrected in an upcoming version of Finale. I'm afraid at this time there is no work around with these patches within the Mixer of the ARIA Player. If I wanted control of the volume for these patches, I would begin looking into third party volume controls until we are able to resolve this within an update. If I was in Finale and did not want to use third party plugins, I would then designate a bank completely dedicated to these instruments. The master fader would be the only thing that can control these plugins, the downfall being that it would control all patches within this bank alone." And, in the MM forum, another user had an idea: "I suspect that there are errors in the respective sfz files. These are relatively easy to edit. I'll take a look sometime in the next few days. Maybe I can fix them." -- Fred -->BTW, how do I tell your forum software I want line breaks? The usual html tag doesn't seem to work. And, while I've got your attention, the email subscription routine doesn't seem to be working either -- I only know you've responded my checking the thread.

Randy -- LOL! Well, I guess we got our signals crossed again -- I posted in Forum / General Discussion / Off Topic General Discussion...BTW, how do I tell your forum software I want line breaks? The usual html tag doesn't seem to work. And, while I've got your attention, the email subscription routine doesn't seem to be working either -- I only know you've responded my checking the thread.
    Interesting-! I've never heard of that Forum where you posted, Fred - and I don't see it in the Forum menu--. !!-- That isn't the Garritan Forum - You can get to Garritan General Discussion via the link I posted earlier, or the Forum Jump menu.

Since you didn't find your way to the actual Forum, I posted your question/information there and a link to this conversation thread, so other Finale users can respond if they'd like.

Formatting for messages - Try clicking "A/A" in the upper left corner of the message toolbar. You shouldn't be needing to type any code - When it's set right, you just type away, and Enter will give you paragraph breaks.

Alas, email notifications are indeed broken, and have been for a few weeks now. It really cuts down on the participation here, and I'm hoping the administrator can track down the problem and fix it. You're correct that I'm only keeping track of your thread and others by periodically checking the Forums - something most people aren't willing to do in order to stay in touch.

Randy

Go Back to forum