Topic: realtime performance??

Share/Bookmark

realtime performance??

This is a dumb question.. Can gigaSampler
    be used as a live instrument? It seems that
    all of the discussion seems to center
    around creating sequences, rather than using
    it as an instrument. I would like to
    use it as a home piano. I would think computer fan noise, and hard disk crunching
    could be an issue for some setups if it
    is used this way.

Re: realtime performance??

Hi Duncan:

My 10-year-old is taking piano lessons right now and uses GigaSampler, the GigaPiano, and a Fatar SL880 keyboard to practice on. It works pretty well.

Peace,
    Tim
    http://www.elithic.com

I\'m using Gigasampler together with a Fatar Keyboard and that works out very well. To reduce the fannoise and the noise from the harddisc i suggest to build a damping box for the computer.

greetings

hpcrazy <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Duncan Brinsmead:
    This is a dumb question.. Can gigaSampler
    be used as a live instrument? It seems that
    all of the discussion seems to center
    around creating sequences, rather than using
    it as an instrument. I would like to
    use it as a home piano. I would think computer fan noise, and hard disk crunching
    could be an issue for some setups if it
    is used this way.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I\'ve been worrying about the fan. Do
    you have any suggestions or experience
    with damping it? Do you create a box near
    the fan or around the entire computer?

This is the best web page I have seen on quieting your PC, found it linked from an overclocking site. Check out www.7volts.com/quiet.htm

What Im Planning on doing is ,drill a hole through the interior wall of my house.
    Put the computer on the otherside of the wall [in the other room] .
    Get some extention cables for the monitor ,mouse and keyboard[Im already using extention cables with my system because my computer is currently on the other side of the room and it works fine that way , no disadvantage with the longer cables] and pass the cables through the wall,also a power strip that control the AC power of the computer.
    The only problem is it\'s a little inconvientant to go to the other room everytime you want to put in a cd rom or a floppy disc.
    I wonder if you can get a IDE extention and floppy extention cable and run those through the wall also?

IDE cables are at a 18\" maximum, too many disk errors occur with longer cables, plus I imagine they need the extra shielding from RF interference by actually being inside a metal case. If you can stick your PC in a closet (with some ventalation) and use some soundproofing in the closet, this may save you a few steps from going to the next room to put in a CD. Many recording studios put their noisy equipment in a separate room / closet. Check out the website I listed above for some good ideas on quieting a PC. Good luck on your project and let us know what worked for you.

In our recording studio we have all computers in a seperate room. We extended the keyboard, monitor and mouse cables. This works perfect and we have no noise whatsoever. The only downside is that I have to walk to the engine room if I have to swap disks or insert a CDR.

Go Back to forum