• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Duncan Brinsmead's DDSS Mahler Symph.

Share/Bookmark

Duncan Brinsmead\'s DDSS Mahler Symph.

Hi,

Last May/June, Duncan Brinsmead posted a slow Mahler movement using Dan Dean solo strings which was marvelous. He painted in pitch bends and volume(using breath controller for volume)between the notes. He used an extra track for each voice and put the pitch bends in both tracks.

I liked it so much I purchased DDSS (as my first GS string adventure.

But I\'m having trouble getting the pitch bends to happen at all. It may be from a basic mis-understanding of how midi pitch bend works.

Duncan said \"I created string glissandos using two tracks with pitch bends and cross fades\".

Why can\'t I (in one track) just put:

Note ... Increassingly lower pitch bends ... Lower note.

Won\'t midi controller pitch bends alter a note that is already sustaining? The same way you can alter a sustaining pitch on a synth by using the pitch bend wheel?

In my sequence, if I put the pitch bend(s) before a midi note event it changes the track to that pitch level. An absolute pitch change but no glissando.

Thanks for any help on this ... I\'d really like to be able to use it.

I\'m using Sonar & GigaStudio

Peace ... Charlie Miller

Re: Duncan Brinsmead\'s DDSS Mahler Symph.

Hey Charlie--

Any idea where that Mahler mock-up may be found? I would love to hear it.

Originally posted by BlueScreen:
    Hey Charlie--

Any idea where that Mahler mock-up may be found? I would love to hear it.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Blue, it is fantastic. I\'m a big fan of Duncan\'s work.

Hopefully, Duncan will pipe up here and post a link so that I can download it and have another listen.

\"In my sequence, if I put the pitch bend(s) before a midi note event it changes the track to that pitch level. An absolute pitch change but no glissando.\"

Charlie, I\'m a little unclear on what you\'re doing. If you put any controller info before a note, the very last controller data value you entered will be the one which the midi note plays with. If you want a note to slide, all the pitch bend data has to occur during the note on.

Two days ago, I received a package from Duncan with the Mahler Adagietto featuring my Dan Dean Solo Strings and Gary\'s Gigaharp. It is an excellent work by Duncan. I\'ve posted it at my website: http://www.dandeanpro.com in the demos section under DDSS.

Thanks,
    DD

Ok. I gotta hand you this one. His demo is one of the best demos I have ever heard. This is simply amazing - how on EARTH could he make it sound so vivid? How are these glisses made? Can you pitchbend such a smooth transition?

??

Im... jaw dropped...

--- Love CHris

\"Two days ago, I received a package from Duncan with the Mahler Adagietto featuring my Dan Dean Solo Strings and Gary\'s Gigaharp. It is an excellent work by Duncan. I\'ve posted it at my website: http://www.dandeanpro.com in the demos section under DDSS.\" DD

Whenever I am doing mindless web work on my email computer, this work is one of the background things I listen to. What a monster effort. This from another DD.

same guy arty. imagine the amount of the brain thats being used by this guy [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Very, very nice indeed!!

Hi,

This name looks familiar to me, since I`m working as 3D designer.

Is this the same guy?

\"Duncan Brinsmead is a principal scientist with Alias|Wavefront. He is the creator of Maya Paint Effects™, a radical brush-based technology and a major feature in Maya. Duncan joined Alias|Wavefront in 1990 and worked extensively on the technologies in Power Animator such as the multilister, the particle system, the icon-based data browser, procedural textures, glow effects, hair, volume lights, warps and cartoon shading. He has also developed prototype technologies for the dynamic simulation of water, all of which played a role in shaping the impetus for Paint Effects.\"

Check here...

Now, I`m jealus [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Arty

Go Back to forum