Just read this on Yahoo:

As you know, I am one the developers of Giga, and I wanted to see if I couldn\'t give you some words of encouragement without breaking company policy.

First, with regards to the system requirements. Giga 3 will work on all the same platforms as Giga 2 - Operating systems, processors, motherboards, and sound cards. No big surprise there, right? As far as how much memory/CPU/disk should you get ... well that is a bit more difficult. Since Giga 3 will still be a disk based sampler, it is important to maintain a high performance disk subsystem. I recommend sticking with the faster IDE with the larger buffers (I think they come in 2M and above now).

There is going to be a very cool feature of Giga3 that will require even more CPU. Of course this feature will be control by the user, but I think once you hear it you will say you gota have it. We truely believe this will be as revolutionary as disk base sampling.

So without giving you details - I can say load up on the CPU. But again this is not anything profound - you should always try and get the fastest CPU you can afford because the more headroom you have with processing power the better the system runs.

Also make sure you get the one of the newer CPU with the SSE instruction set. If you don\'t know what the SSE instruction set is, don\'t worry. If you buy any of the Intel PIII or above, or the new Athlon Xp processor you will be safe. I think anything Intel processor above 500 MHz and any AMD above 1 GHz is going to have SSE.

I personally hate buying the fastest processor, because I believe Intel/AMD makes us pay too high a premium for the top end, but I think the 2.8GHz are out and affordable - I saw a dell system for under 2k.

As far as memory - how much to get? It a bit tougher than the CPU question. You have to understand where the computer technology is today, to understand the answer.

Today, we are currently all running on a 32-bit processor under a 32-bit operating system. The 32-bit is a very important number. Just like in dealing with a digital audio signal where the bit depth plays an important role in what we can and can\'t do. For example, we all know that 8-bit audio is not the same as 24-bit audio - why? Because with 24-bit of resolution can more accurately describe an analog signal level.

When it comes to memory, the CPU has an address space equivalent of the width of the address buss - in our case 32-bit or 4Gig. So there is a theoretical limit of 4Gig on a 32-bit CPU/Operating system. Inside the 4Gig space the operating system breaks up the memory between applications and kernel mode drivers. In NT (Windows 2000 and Xp) the address space is broken up so the kernel gets the upper 2G and applications get the lower 2G. So the theoretcal limit is now 2G. Unfortuantely,no one ever gets the theoretical limit. So where is the ceiling- 1 G, 1.5G, 2G ???

Only the operating system knows, and it will depend on a number of system settings - like registry memory management settting, how many drivers you have loaded in the system, how big your disk cache is, etc. So it gets very difficult for me to give you an exact number.

Giga will use as much memory as the operating system will give it.

We are working on Microsoft to help us figure how to tweak the system so that you can squeeze as much memory out of your system as possible. And we will do everything we can to make the software help optimize your system, but giving you a hard number that works on every system is next to impossible. I can only give you a range.

So again - as far as memory - how much to get? I would recommend you get as much as you can afford, but would not try to get above the 2G level. Even if the operating system only allows Giga to use 1G or 1.5G, it will give the operating more headroom to run smoothly.

And pray for Microsoft/Intel to drive the 64-bit technology [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I hope this helps. Please understand that it is not TASCAM policy to keep information from the customer or to hide features from the users. I think TASCAM just want to validate the information before releasing it to customers.