• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bass Libraries

Bass Libraries

Can any developers or owners of bass libraries tell me if they are intended for use through an amp plugin (like the guitar libraries tend to be) or whether they are to be used as is, straight out of the box?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Bass Libraries

I can vouch for what Thomas says. His basses have a clean, DI\'d kind of sound.

Prior to using the Scarbee basses I could never get within a bull\'s roar of our session bass player\'s sound. However, since getting them I realise what I really need is bass chops [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] The sound is nearly perfect. It\'s like the bass player picked up a second bass and played his part.

Between Thomas\'s bass and a very good performance on the real thing I think it gets down to minor questions of eq and compression choices. I emphasize \'minor\', because even without adding much the sound stands up really well in a mix.

If you want more of a dub or club sound, then you would clearly be needing to use more extensive eq, but that\'s pretty much it in my opinion.

The good thing with the Scarbee basses is that you aren\'t locked in - you have a choice.

Cool, Thomas, I really like the idea of putting a bass (or indeed an electric guitar) through an amp - it seems more real to me and also gives more flexibility over the sound.

Ok I\'ve just checked out the demos at your website, Thomas, as well as having read some of the reviews and I\'m pretty much sold on your fingered bass library. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

So the question is....when is the HALion version coming out??

Hey Hasen,

Mine can succesfully be used with amp/FX plugins as they are recorded clean. However the clean sound can just as well be used \"out of the box\".

Originally posted by Hasen:
    So the question is....when is the HALion version coming out??
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">In December I believe. Unfortunately there is a lot of work involved with Halion conversions as all release-samples have to be mdified with a looped silence before the actual sample. This is because Halion is not able to change the volume of the release samples according to the envelope of the \"mother\" samples: ex: Play a short sustained note - the release level is perfect. Play a sustained note for a while and release the key - the voulume in Halion is the same as the short note - hence, much too loud and unnatural.

Therefore EXS24 versions will come out earlier as you can make a perfect conversion - though you have to make it from scratch in EXS24 as no auto-conversions works satisfactory.

So soon... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Ok but I can\'t afford to wait until then \'cos I need a bass on my current project. If I buy the Giga version now, will I be able to exchange it for the HALion version when its ready?

Originally posted by Hasen:
    If I buy the Giga version now, will I be able to exchange it for the HALion version when its ready?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes - we can do that [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . But you can use the version sold at my website in Halion too. You can read about the misiing features there.

Hi Hasen,

Time & SPace has the new version too - and also the light versions of J-Fingered.

Yes I know Thomas. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I think I\'ll go for the full version of the fingered bass - Its worth it for the extra stuff and is a damn good price anyhow. I\'ll purchase in a few days and will let you know what I think. I love the fact that its unprocessed as it means I have full flexibility to use it in any way I want and with any style of music.

Go Back to forum