• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Sting

OT: Sting

I have been listening to \"All This Time\" by Sting and I think it would be really cool if Sting was to score a movie. If I ignore the voice, the music itself is really good in many tracks. Anyone else think that? Or is it just me...

Re: OT: Sting

Sting HAS done \'scoring\' for film.

Like the jazz songs for Leaving Las Vegas.

Perhaps not on-cue, but certainly creating the whole atmosphere for the movie.

And of course he acted as well ;-)
    Like in Dune!

Sting rawks!!! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Such an inspiring person...

\"All this time\" on DVD and CD is definitely a favorite of mine. Check out that documentary, the rehearsals and the concert on 9/11/01!

Ojai, California

Well, I personally think that Sting is amongst the finest composers in any genre. Yeah, I know that must sound ridiculous to those of you coming from a predominntly classical backround. But he has been singularly innovative both rhythmically and the way he has blended original jazz sorts of arrangments into pop music. And personally I find his lyrics infinitely more interesting than most of the trite, urbane unmentionable chaffe that is produced these days. Unfortunately he is an easy guy to dislike; my wife hears nothing but arrogance.

I didn\'t know Sting has done instrumental scores! Although I don\'t claim to be an all-knowing fan, just a casual one. I will definitely have to try and find these!

Runamuck, yes I think Sting is exceptionally good. There are so many melodies that would just be perfect for a film score. Like the excellent song \"Shape of my Heart\". It featured beautifully at the end of the Leon movie. They had an instrumental part before the song starts, and I don\'t no if this was Eric Serra using the theme from the song or it was Sting composing it. Basically I hear some really good melodies in his songs that I would love to hear more of.

I only heard his Oscar song on while watching the Oscars, I don\'t remember the name of it but I remember thinking it was really really great as well.

btw, did anyone notice he used that Metamorphosis groove at the start of the All this Tine version of \"Fragile\" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I think he also some stuff from Heart of Asia, maybe.

PS: Dont suppose any of you know what synth he uses at the beginning of \"fragile\" \"Fields of Gold\" \"If I ever loose my faith in you\" (All This Time version)etc. ?

Sting and Hans Zimmer are now working together on a cure for cancer.

He also did an almost completely electronic monothematic score for the movie \"Brimstone and Treacle\", which he also acted in. The theme from the film appears in the Police song \"I Burn For You\".

Sting is one of my favorite bands...

And sorry Ed, but i couldn\'t imagine Sting\'s \"All this time\" without voice, that\'s like Mozart without 1st violin... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Just wondering - can the J-Basses deliver such a great Bass tone? Or the Dan Dean\'s? I\'d love to have such a beautiful bass... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for suggestions.

Originally posted by Ed:
    PS: Dont suppose any of you know what synth he uses at the beginning of \"fragile\" \"Fields of Gold\" \"If I ever loose my faith in you\" (All This Time version)etc. ?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ed, I think he used the \"Warmth\" patch on the Roland JV/XP series modules. It is C-59 on my XP-50. At least, that\'s what I always used to get this kind of pad sound.

re: bass tones, you won\'t believe it, but the Korg M1\'s factory default fretless bass patch is the closest to Sting\'s tone I\'ve ever heard. (okay, bring on the flames)

In fact, I\'ve got some free time, so maybe I\'ll whip up a Police mockup with that bass sound..

Go Back to forum