• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Lack of volume control in Finale Default Bank?

Share/Bookmark

Lack of volume control in Finale Default Bank?

On the Support & Technical Forum which doesn't have much traffic anymore, new Forum member Fred Goldrich posted that he doesn't have volume control over 16 Garritan instruments. They're all part of the Finale Default Bank, and are originally from GPO and World. Here's his thread:

Lack of volume control in Finale Default Bank

MakeMusic Support has now told him that he's uncovered a bug which they hope to resolve in a future release.

As I told Fred on his thread, I wasn't aware of a volume problem, because all the instruments in his list work normally when I test them in ARIA Standalone, and they also work when I open ARIA in Sonar. So it looks like things are working fine in DAW software, but not in Finale. I suspect that things work correctly in Finale when the full versions of Garritan are used, and that it's programming in this Finale Default Bank which got broken.

It would be helpful if you Finale users could double check this. If you don't have the same problem with these instruments, it would be helpful for MM to know that.

Randy

Re: Lack of volume control in Finale Default Bank?

Randy, thanks for reposting my question here.

As I told you elsewhere, a fellow in a MakeMusic forum had this to say:

"I suspect that there are errors in the respective sfz files. These are relatively easy to edit. I'll take a look sometime in the next few days. Maybe I can fix them."

I know nothing about editing sfz files, but maybe this suggestion rings a bell with someone here.

Thanks --

-- Fred

I do not have Finale 2014 so I'm afraid I can't help. I have the demo of 2014 but it does not come with the Garritan samples for Finale. I have used my own libraries (GPO4 and JaBB) and they work fine in the demo version. Maybe someone else has purchased 2014 and can help.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Same as Rich.

I also have just the 2014 Demo and loaded my full copies of GPO4 and World. The mixer is working with these.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Good news. I just got word that the fix for this has already been put together. It was a bug that crept into the coding for the new instruments introduced with Finale 2014. Now - what I Don't know yet is when that fix will be generally released. As soon as I know, I'll post the info here.

Randy

That's great news indeed! Many thanks.

Hi Fred,

That was my post on the other forum. I haven't done the upgrade to Finale 2014 yet. I'll probably get to it sometime next week. I also wasn't aware that you were referring to Garritan Instruments for Finale. I thought you meant the full Garritan instruments. I tested and those work fine in the Aria version that you have in stand alone and VST/DAW mode.

I suspect that MM reprogramed the SFZ files of some of the full Garritan instruments to be a scaled down version for the new version of Finale. Unfortunately, it seems that what I refer to as engineering discipline is sometime poor at MM. This is often the case with small companies with complex technical products. Full regression testing is VERY expensive and difficult and the pressure to get product out the door can override.

SFZ files are the programming files used for the Aria Sample player among others like Dimension, Rapture, Sforzando, etc. They are text files that can easily be edited. This problem is probably a cut & paste fat finger where something was copied from file to file and missed the volume control instruction. Very easy to fix if you know what you are looking for.

Hopefully MM can get a fix out quickly. If they haven't when I get around to downloading the upgrade, I'll take a shot at it. It's funny, programming SFZ reminds me somewhat of programming old telecom switches in assembler that I did a little of back in the day.

BTW, It is my habit to wait awhile after release to install new versions of software (not just Finale!). I will kick the tires and test for several months before actually using the new versions for any serious work. Fortunately, in the case of Finale, keeping multiple versions installed works fine. They don't conflict, so far anyway.

Chris

Hey, Chris, good to hear from you again!

Yes, I know what you mean about not jumping too quickly on the update bandwagon. I often avoid that myself, but since I've been doing a Finale update every other year and there wasn't one for 2013, I guess I was a little over-anxious this time around. (And, ironically, I was in a hurry for that very Banjo patch for a project I'm working on, which is why I noticed right away that it wasn't working properly.)

I've been using VSTIs in Cubase forever, but never caught on to the connection between sf2 and sfz patches (DUH!). Now I think I need to pay some attention to how sfz files are constructed.

I hope Randy's right and that the botched conversion is on its way to being repaired.

Thanks for your help.

-- Fred

Quote Originally Posted by goldrich View Post
    ...I hope Randy's right and that the botched conversion is on its way to being repaired...
    What's frustrating is that the repair job has already been done. But fixes are always sooooo slow to be made public. And you're probably aware that the list of bugs and errors in this new Finale 2014 release is huge - many, many things are no longer working. You, Fred, uncovered yet one more of an alarmingly long list of screw ups in this release.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    What's frustrating is that the repair job has already been done.
    If the fix has turned out to be something that can be taken care of with edits to the sfz files, is it possible to get a tip as to how it's done? I'd be happy to look after it myself while waiting for the official release.

By the way, since installing Finale 2014, I am no longer able to run Finale 2011 on my desktop running WinXP ("Runtime Error ... abnormal program termination"), though it still works on my Win7 laptop. Any ideas about a workaround for that?

Go Back to forum