• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: DONGLE MENACE: First YellowTools, now Zero G

Share/Bookmark
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

DONGLE MENACE: First YellowTools, now Zero G

Jan was sharp enough to notice this on Best Service\'s website. People, wake up and see where this is going...DO NOT IMAGINE FOR A MINUTE THAT THIS WILL GO AWAY IF YOU DO NOT SEND A CLEAR MESSAGE THAT YOU WILL NOT TOLERATE THIS FROM YOUR VENDORS!!

It seems ZeroG also created a dongle for the upcoming Vocaloid products. At least it isn’t a USB dongle, but instead it uses the network card you installed in your computer as a dongle.
    I can’t say I am too pleased with this development, YT has opted for a USB dongle, ZeroG will use the LANcard dongle, what’s next?

If you decide to purchase the upcoming ZeroG product, bear in mind that indirectly you are supporting the dongle movement.

Here is the text I found on the site of BestService:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Vocaloid

About LAN/network card requirement:

IMPORTANT: The computer on which you install and use Vocaloid MUST be equipped with a LAN/network Card. Installation and Activation of Vocaloid also require that the computer is connected to the internet via the LAN card, or you will need to at least have access to a separate Windows XP/2000 computer that is connected to the internet. When you install the software on your computer, either at the same time or some time soon thereafter, you activate the software by connecting to the VOCALOID activation server via the Internet. But don?t worry if you can?t connect to the Internet immediately, you can still use VOCALOID for an initial temporary activation period of 5 days. When you do actually perform the activation step your computer must be fitted with a LAN/network card via which it is connected to the Internet. After activation you do not need to be connected to the Internet or a network to use VOCALOID, but the LAN card you used for activation must remain installed in your computer. It is one of the components used to identify your PC. In other words, the LAN card works as a \"dongle\". Therefore even if you connect to the internet via a modem, you still need a LAN card (but it does not have to be connected to the network). One simple and convenient solution is to use a USB network device which simply plugs into a USB port on your computer and therefore does not require the opening of your computer\'s case. Such USB network cards are available from most computer retailers and an excellent quality example can typically be purchased for under 30 US dollars / 20 GB pounds.The installation procedure for adding additional VOCALOID virtual vocalist products is exactly the same as outlined above. You will still need to activate your new VOCALOID product as described above, but only the newly-added component(s) will need to be activated. For example, if you had already installed the Zero-G \"LOLA\" vocal library and you would then like to install \"LEON\", you would select \"Custom installation\" and select only the required components.Furthermore, in order to also obtain technical support and gain access to help, information and special offers concerning Zero-G Vocaloid products, you MUST also register your Vocaloid product at the Zero-G website. The Zero-G online registration system will go into operation on 21 January 2004, but software Activation is possible before that date.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So, to paraphrase...Zero G wants to slap you with EXACTLY the same kind of machine-locked, single-install license that Yellow Tools is trying to pull over on you...

ONLY THEY WANT YOU TO PICK UP THE TAB FOR THE SHACKLES!!!

This has gotten beyond insane. Dongles, required internet connections (what about people whose synthesis machines don\'t HAVE modems or networked internet access?), and single-machine licenses are not going to stop ONE BIT OF PIRACY. These silly antics are about one thing--stacking the market differently.

For sure, the climate of freely innovative, no limits virtual synthesis which changed everything sure won\'t support the antiquated, gigantic-corporation, card-slot models that Yamaha, Roland, et. al. used to decimate the progress of synthesis and sampling in the hardware era. And now, we are seeing companies doing everything they possibly can to take the promise of software synthesis, and anchor it once again to hardware.

They are trying to sell this transition in the name of security and piracy prevention. Don\'t you believe it. This is all very simple. Unless the wide-ranging capabilities of software synthesis can be limited, and tied to hardware, and sold to you in tiny bite-sized chunks, these gigantic bloated corporations (and the upstarts who want to emulate their methods) cannot make the cash off of you that they need to support their plans...to run the small shop developers and vendors OUT OF BUSINESS, and to dole out the technology to you in the same card-slot, bite-size chunks that killed the best synth designs of the last era.

Support small shops. Support innovation. Support vendors directly. Support open platforms. Keep these people in business. But see this hardware lockdown movement for what it is--a measured, deliberate attempt to gain control over the innovation which sprung up while the \"giants\" were sleeping. There are people in our market who took careful note of how this card-slot marketing profited the giants in the 80s and 90s, and they\'re out to pimp out software synthesis in exactly the same way.

Re: DONGLE MENACE: First YellowTools, now Zero G

So if you have a farm of PC\'s and build and rebuild them regularly you actually have to put stickers on your LAN cards for the licenses they \"hold\"?

These guys are nuts! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

They\'re making fools of their customers. Hackers will be ROFL probably.
    My interest in this product just evaporated.

i just dont have any respect for these dongle pimps BUT i would be glad to use their product [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] i think everybody should USE their products [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Robin 123, I don\'t think anything justifies stealing the work, if that is what you are implying. I just hope people will choose to spend their money on products which don\'t employ these draconian, throwback schemes.

Hi,

Here\'s another product that I won\'t purchase either. I, too, dislike the dongle thing. I understand the need to protect your product but if I\'m going to need a bunch of hubs for a bunch of dongle-required software, forget about it. I\'ll stick to open products.

I don\'t have too much of a problem with software that requires me to authorize it first and register with the company (although it would be nice if there wasn\'t such a restriction either) but this is beginning to get insane IMHO.

Once again, legitimate users will lose out in having to jump through hoops and the pirates will get around it with minimal hassle. Waves, Logic Audio, Cubase SX, etc. all have used dongles and each of them were cracked without too much issue. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Let\'s not turn this into another piracy thread based on my last comment but, this is a legitimate concern IMHO.

FV

bruce, i will always spend my money on libraries which dosnt make me to stick dongle into my computer....it\'s just a way to protest to let them know that they are just loosing the paying customers and it\'s not comtroling piracy anyway.....

Well, at least I can promise you that you can run the White Grand and ALL future SampleTekk products without dongles, LAN cards, secret passwords or other devices except for samplers and creativity!

my god thats INSANE!
    (I thought that dvelopers want to make they customers happy and dont support pirated soft - but this is not good move)...

If this will continue....what come next - Sample libraries on its own HD that you must have installed? [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

I hate to be the one to say it, but if anything, these hardware dongles are only going to encourage people to use pirated versions, not discourage them.

I remember reading how a studio bought the legit versions, but then used the pirated versions for everyday operation because they bypassed and eliminated the hardware dongle protection.

Quite frankly, I can\'t blame them if these developers carry on with moronic schemes like this. It\'s already getting to the point where every orifice of our computers are gonna be laden with dongles when each of these developers comes up with their own half-baked hardware \"protection\" scheme.

I won\'t have anything to do with *any* sample company that has a hardware dongle. I don\'t care how great your product is, this is already getting way out of control. Aside from being totally impractical, all these dongles are going to do is introduce a myriad of potential problems with the users computer.
    -Hudson

Bruce or anyone. Just so I understand, if I want to run Xero or Yellow tools on my primary daw, which already requires a Cubase dongle, and I only have one usb port, do I even have any choice but not to buy? (other than installing more usb ports, which I\'m not likely to do).

The dongle requirement is bad enough, but now I need a network Lan card or internet on my Daw? On the advice of the people who built my machines, none of those things are installed. ZeroG needs to rethink this.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast