• Register
  • Help

Topic: looking for that "ballpark" organ sound...

Share/Bookmark

looking for that "ballpark" organ sound...

Not asking for much--just one fat-sounding sampled organ (B3?) with full-on, boot-rattling leslie! What do you all recommend?

Re: looking for that "ballpark" organ sound...

The Emagic Organ AudioInstruments for Logic are great. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Never can remember all those weird instrument they give their products names, but check out their website.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Phattlippz:
    Not asking for much--just one fat-sounding sampled organ (B3?) with full-on, boot-rattling leslie! What do you all recommend?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Worra has a BiggaGiggas B3 sample. It\'s huge, an L-100 in a room with a motor-off Leslie, deconstructed down to the drawbar...really, a sampling/synthesis hybrid, put together on GigaStudio. Very warm sounding, too. It\'s a bit of a freak-library right now. Because Giga is currently a little short on programming dimensions for modeling that kind of structure, it spreads out and takes quite a bit of resources to play. On the other hand, if Giga 3.0 brings a significant increase in dimensions, then this product could get VERY interesting with some fresh programming. Still, until Giga either allows DirectX/VST/etc. plugins, or manages to convince a totally uninterested plugin development community to suddenly support NFX (don\'t hold your breath), there\'s no realtime amp, rotation, distortion, speaker, etc., modeling, and that\'s a real disadvantage when an instrument\'s signature sound includes those elements.

Sonic Implants has some as well--simpler structured ones of particular setups with the organ and Leslie. I like what I hear on the demos on the SI organs--I haven\'t played them, but they sounded nice to me.

That said, I don\'t know that I\'d use a sample for electric organ. B4 is a very tough act to follow. It\'s hard to make a case for samples unless you\'re just adamantly wanting (needing?) to have the organ playing in the Giga domain. The modeling aspect of B4 makes it play much more like an organ than a sampler playing organ samples. It makes you play differently, if not dead on for the B3, then at least in the aspect of being able to respond to a realtime synthesis of the sound that\'s ever evolving. The magic of the amp/leslie/mic modeling is interacting with it in realtime. It\'s especially noticeable to me on a gig...playing sampled organs has a certain tenuous feeling. You have to watch yourself a bit--for lack of a better word, unpredictable comes to mind. When you get into a playing situation where the volume is up there, and you\'re really on the edge intensity-wise, you can kick up your sampler just a tad and completely lose control of your balance. Enough to really freak people out in a bad way. I guess I would say there\'s no \"cush\" zone, where you know your pushing against a certain limit on output. That\'s where the B4, from a playing perspective, really improves on the experience. The amp/distortion/cabinet/mic modeling chain lets you set an output level, but drive it in a very realistic feeling way...the amp model will hit a ceiling where it will get progressively more \"cooked\" but no physically louder. This makes you play against a barrier when you\'re getting intense, and it makes the Leslie go into that shredder mode that is all but impossible to reproduce in a sample with any truth to the actual feel.

Of course, if you\'re just looking for something strictly to do a one-shot ballpark thing.....never mind. I\'d pick the cheapest one that was close and drown the sucker in reverb.

I have a C-3 with a 122RV Leslie. NOTHING sounds anything like it. I played around with simulators for about 6 years and still keep looking, but I can honestly say that nothing comes anywhere close to a real one. The different spit of each key, the way that percussion slowly dies out across a phrase, the harmonics produced by certain key combinations, etc, etc. These things are never captured. If I read another clone review that mentions \'key click\' again and ends the article with \'This is the closest to the real thing you\'ll ever get and is a good deal pounds ligher so your roadie will love you\' (guffaw, guffaw) , I think I\'m going to go nuts. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

well the client wants a wide, fast vibrato in the sound--like the world series\' organist, from what I\'m told. I didn\'t see it, so I have no idea what it really is.

VR Sound has some fat B3s sampled.

Originally posted by Aqua Tarkus:
    I have a C-3 with a 122RV Leslie. NOTHING sounds anything like it. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m the person who made the L-100 samples that Bruce talks about, and I sweated over those samples for seceral months. I think it\'s one of the better non-compromising Hammond-samples around and if you run it through a Leslie, then it really, really rocks! And still.... I agree with you.
    But then again, that\'s the sample buisness, and it\'s kind of nice knowing that nothing beats the real thing..... (The PC is slightly lighet then a C3, mind you... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Sorry Worra. I didn\'t want to detract from your work. I\'ve heard great things about your L-100 and considered doing something similar myself. I would just like to ask one thing though - why an L100 over a B-3? The top end on the upper manual is rather weak in comparison don\'t you think?

Originally posted by sjduck:
    Sorry Worra. I didn\'t want to detract from your work. I\'ve heard great things about your L-100 and considered doing something similar myself. I would just like to ask one thing though - why an L100 over a B-3? The top end on the upper manual is rather weak in comparison don\'t you think?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, the L100 was just sitting there in the studio waiting to be sampled. I agree that a B3 or C3 has a more classical sound, but I really liked the raunchy tone of this rocker. It\'s also a bit special since it belongs to a friend of mine, (yes, Sune!), a guy I\'ve been playing with on and off for 20 years, so I\'ve got kind of a personal attachment to the L-100 as well.
    Also, I always try to do something different, like the Rain Piano I\'m currently working on, and there are so many B3 samples areound, so I thought I\'d do a L-100 instead.....

I bought Native Instruments B4 for a couple hundred bucks (I think) for a little gig I was doing and it has been one of the best investments I\'ve ever made. I use ALL the time. There\'s a lot of pretty cool presets plus you can alter pretty much any aspect of it. Unless you can find something that does more for less and sounds just as good, I\'d stop looking and just grab the B4. It\'s the closest thing I\'ve found to the real thing. Including Emagic\'s Organ synth. I know there is at least a couple of Ballpark presets too so you could start there and alter. But, the coolest part.... Not only do you get a cool ball park sound, there\'s a nice theater Organ... blues...funk, disco, Rock, Gospel, Raggae..... yea you get the idea.. literally every organ you can need can be created with the B4. Simply put, it Rocks. I agree with Bruce on this..... from Jeremy and bruce... B4 gets 2 thumbs up!

Go Back to forum