• Register
  • Help

Topic: SAM Horns: Need a looped version of MW - Sustain (f)

Share/Bookmark

SAM Horns: Need a looped version of MW - Sustain (f)

Has anyone made a looped version of the awesome MW-Sustain sample? Did I mention that particular sample is awesome? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] What a rich sound. Whew. Anyway.. (and no, I don\'t work for Project SAM) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I know the sample ends realistically (as long as the horn-blowers can blow!) but I need it a little longer. How easy would it be to make a looped version of this? I have practically zero GSEditor experience. All I know how to do is apply articulations and change attack times.

Thanks!

Re: SAM Horns: Need a looped version of MW - Sustain (f)

Sam, you really need to go out to an audio editor to do this. It wouldn\'t be brain surgery, but it would take a while...

Well, I have Soundforge..and I know how to loop a sample. I don\'t know how to extract .wavs from the .gig file though. And I wouldn\'t know how to create a new instrument in the .gig file for the new looped version of the MW Sustain either. Perhaps I need to pick up David G\'s GigaStudio tutorial.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by MDesigner:
    Well, I have Soundforge..and I know how to loop a sample. I don\'t know how to extract .wavs from the .gig file though. And I wouldn\'t know how to create a new instrument in the .gig file for the new looped version of the MW Sustain either. Perhaps I need to pick up David G\'s GigaStudio tutorial.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">1. Open the file in the Instrument Editor
    2. Export all samples as wav-files
    3. Loop the samples in a ediitor of your choice
    4. Replace the old samples in the Instrument Editor.

Both export and replace command can be found by right-clicking on the sample folders

If the samples aren\'t compressed it\'s very easy to get them to the editor and back. I don\'t have my copy of SAM Horns in front of me, but I can check tomorrow.

If you load SAM Horns up and save just the instrument you want to edit to a new location, it will copy the relevant wav files to a new place on the disk. This way you can be sure you\'re not mucking up the original wavs, it\'ll also make saving updates a lot faster.

Now close the original SAM Horns and load the new version of the MW sus instrument you saved.

It shouldn\'t be too hard to tell which samples in the sample pool are MW and which are SUS. That\'s probably how they\'re labelled.

Go to preferences in the Giga editor and choose Sound Forge as your preferred audio editor.

Doing this sets up a very cool communication situation between the Giga editor and Sound Forge:

In the Giga editor, right clicking on a sample, and choosing \'edit audio\' will cause Sound Forge to start(!) and send the sample to it ready for editing. It\'ll be a temp file named something like \'GS00000001\'.

Once you make edits to the file, if you choose save the change will also be made to the sample which is in Gigastudio. You can confirm this by checking that the \'save update\' indicator will now be lit in the Giga editor. So if you save your Giga instrument, the changes you made to that sample in Sound Forge will be saved in Giga and you can hear them by playing the patch.

Just do this until you\'ve updated all the samples.

As to how to make the edit, looping is a good option, but don\'t ignore a good cut and paste with a little crossfade, it can avoid clicks. I don\'t have Sound Forge, but in Wavelab it\'s as simple as copying an area of the wave, selecting a range in the original as crossfade area, and then pasting. Works pretty well, although I suppose Sound Forge probably has some \'seamless loopin\' tools too.

What is the \"MW-Sustain sample\" anyway??????

Ed

Wow, lost track of this thread.. sorry about that! Thanks for these tips, I\'ll have to try this when I get some time. I love the MW Sustain instrument, but I wish it lasted a bit longer.

To answer Ed\'s question: the MW Sustain is an instrument in SAM Horns that uses the mod wheel to adjust the dynamics from I believe pp to ff.. not sure exactly, could just be p to f. Very nice, though.. beautiful sound.

Go Back to forum