• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Anyone else here studying Adler?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Anyone else here studying Adler?

Adler\'s book is my bible.

Some informations grabbed in this book are kept in an Excel file:

- the register characteristics of each instrument (See p. 182 for oboe as example).

- The blending possibilities of each instrument with other instruments (Octave, Unisson).

My Excel file, containing also others things, stands on my wall and reminds me some fundamentals knowledge every day [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

SergeD

I consult this book whenever I plan for a new orchestration pattern, or when I am analyzing a score and I revisit each section periodically to have the conceps fresh. But this can not be called a method [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] .

Originally posted by Serge:
    My Excel file, containing also others things, stands on my wall and reminds me some fundamentals knowledge every day [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">oooh, that sounds fantastic...would you perhaps be willing to share this excel file?

oooh, that sounds fantastic...would you perhaps be willing to share this excel file? [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'d like to but Mister Adler would not appreciate I guess. Unless he autorizes me to proceed [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

SergeD

I have this book and consult it evey now and then. I find it quite helpful at times.

Can anyone comment on the differences between Revision 2 and Revision 3 of the book? I can find rev 2 for $20, or Rev 3 for $55 used. Is it worth it?

Devon

The good thing is that depending on your level of knowledge you can start at the beginning of a chapter; \"This is a French Horn, this is flutter tongue\" or skip to the end of sections like;

\"Scoring techniques for strings and winds\"

One thing I found helpful is to start a word doc or a notepad and jot down the hints spread throughout the book. Things like; \"Clarinets sound quite warm and rich when doubled. So do Bassoons.\"

These little gems are scattered throughout.

Devon, I have the 2nd Edition, and while I have not seen the 3rd edition, I can vouch for the value of the 2nd. I faced the same choice and chose to go with the cheaper book.

I\'m not studying the book in any formal sense but I also have the 5 CD set which contains the orchestral renderings of the examples and it is fantastic to sit and listen to each example after you\'ve read about it.

If you can get the Cds (my set is specifically for the 2nd Edition), I think they will enhance your learning experience tremendously.

Carl

I started using the book, but after 2 weeks I got a nasty email from the publisher saying that I couldn\'t use it anymore. Apparently, the bookcase I had stored the book in had a new shelf installed, and that messed up the publisher\'s records of my purchase. I think I can move the book to another bookshelf, but first I need to take a picture of this bookcase and send it to the publisher so they can \'deauthorize\' it from the records. I then move it to a new bookcase, take a picture of that, and send it. Within a few days, I receive a package with a \'paper separator\' that gives me access to the last 200 pages of the book, which mysteriously sealed up once I moved the book for the first time. Pretty involved.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Ok sorry it\'s late. I was bored. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anyone else here studying Adler?

I know that a while back several people were purchasing Adler\'s orchestration book.

I have to take a semester off school to have carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand (I\'m right-handed), and I want to continute doing a self-study with the Adler book.

Are you using any specific method, or just cranking through it?

Go Back to forum