• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Best sounding Orchestral Samples

Share/Bookmark

Best sounding Orchestral Samples

I realize this is a Garritan Personal Orchestra site...but I was wondering what is hands down the best sample library for Orchestral samples? I know the Miroslov stuff got a lot of publicity as being the best (this was several years ago) but what about the Vienna samples? They seem to sound better than the Garritan samples. I\'m wondering because if I\'m going to invest in Gigastudio and buy a PC (since my Digital Performer sequencer is Mac) then I want to have the best sounds I can get.
    Thanks a lot, Dave

Re: Best sounding Orchestral Samples

Here we go again....

Hi Dave:
    Welcome to the forum. Maybe you´ll want to use the search function before post a topic, this one has been covered so many times...unless you´ll want to start \"sample wars\" again [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Elith

Originally posted by Davidlunday:
    but I was wondering what is hands down the best sample library for Orchestral samples?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Why that\'s easy!
    The answer is...AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaarrrrrghhhh

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum. I know what you mean about getting the best samples you can, and you will be thrilled with GigaStudio, especially if you are coming from hardware samplers like I did. You might want to also search the hardware forum for ideas on PC configuration/sound card/MOB too.

As others have said, there are so many great recent past threads on the newer orchestral libraries in the Samples Forum, and I know you will not be disapointed with what you find. Following is a list of names that comes to mind to help in your NS Sample Forum search.

VSL (Vienna Symphony Library)
    SAM Horns (Sam has very good brass that well compliments the symphony libs)
    EWQLSO (East West Quantum Leap Symph Orch -EWQLSO \"Silver\" is smaller version of the main library)
    GPO (Garritan Personal Orchestra)
    KHS (Kirk Hunter Strings for solo strings)
    SI (Sonic Implant Strings via Simon)
    Dan Dean Brass (Same reasoning as SAM Horns)

...and there are others that also likely belong on this list, which you will read about by searching on the above.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Davidlunday:
    I realize this is a Garritan Personal Orchestra site...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Say wha?

Last time I checked Im pretty sure the forum was called \"Sample Library Discussions\" not \"Garritan Personal Orchestra discussions\".

Ed

Hey Joanne.... Excellent choices!
    I\'ll agree with you 100%. Those libraries are absolutely wonderful.

Hey Davidlunday.... Good luck with your search. There are so many great sample libraries out there right now. Yeah, in my opinion, Joanne has definately listed the best selections currently available. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Gary

What kind of music do you plan on doing? What is your budget? How many machines will you be using? Answer these questions first before moving on to the next step.

If you only have one machine, then you need to be realistic in your expectations. You will have a tough time running VSL, QLSO Platinum or Gold with a sequencer on the same machine. You will be able to run GPO and QLSO Silver on one machine with a sequencer although you may need 2 GB of RAM to get the best results. If you go this route, then you don\'t need to purchase a softsampler. You will be able to do your work in realtime without bouncing.

I\'d recommend starting with both GPO and QLSO Silver to get your feet wet and then expand from there. These libraries both sound decent for their price ($550 for both).

Originally posted by chocothrax:
    All I had to do was right click it on the taskbar at the bottom and select \"close\".
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">When i did that, the little idiot song generated brothers and sisters that very quickly took over my entire screen. Reminds me of a TV commercial.
    Didn\'t get fired though...

You know what? I opened the \"you are an idiot\" absoundware.com or whatever and guess what my Firewall told me: indeed, you are TRULY and idiot: this stupid web installs a Trojan horse where your cookies are downloaded, so I guess you shouldn\'t open it anymore... You\'ve been warned...

Go Back to forum