• Register
  • Help

Topic: The older side of Raymond - Sunday Afternoon

Share/Bookmark

The older side of Raymond - Sunday Afternoon

Hi folks,

the other side of me.......... older forum members may recognize this one. Still a rather jolly piece.

https://app.box.com/s/0sy06ch0bq9x5c3cunw8

Recalling the "birth" of this piece: based upon (freely) chord sequences of an etude of Chopin, used JABB for the bass guitar, drums too (I think), piano is Garritan A.S.

You will love it,

Raymond

Re: The older side of Raymond - Sunday Afternoon

Love it, love it, love it!! I wouldn't say this is the older side of Raymond, I would say it is another facet of a many sided gem that is Raymond. I had no idea you composed this style of music and it was great!

I love the presence of the staging on this, very clear, crisp, discernable, without being sharp or edgy. Did you use your usual TODD Hall (not sure of the name) preset on Altiverb on this? Did you use EQ on the GAS piano because it was so bright but worked really well in this ensemble.

I know you said you did this awhile back so you probably don't recall your settings, but that's okay if you don't. I just really enjoyed this slice of Raymond this morning.

Cass

now, THIS IS A SURPRISE!

I have a theory for this.... Jay's grrrroovy thing has infected the whole forum and Raymond started to swing, too
    You all, do not let the fact that this is an old post trick you: somewhere in all of this there surely is a "back to the future" kind of paradox.

Raymond, very glad to discover this "dark side" of yours... or "late-night side of yours". And pretty good swinging, too! Did you "compose" the piano part, or played it live?

I sincerely am pleasantly surprised.

Time to go to bed now. Good night to those who go to bed.... Good morning to whoever wakes up... and have fun to all of those in "the middle".

Fab

Quote Originally Posted by Cass Hansen View Post

I love the presence of the staging on this, very clear, crisp, discernable, without being sharp or edgy. Did you use your usual TODD Hall (not sure of the name) preset on Altiverb on this? Did you use EQ on the GAS piano because it was so bright but worked really well in this ensemble.

Cass
    I am sure I didn't use Altiverb. I didn't have that at the time I made this. At first I recorded this with the Steinberg Grand I or II (?). Garritan hadn't released the great GAS yest. Later I re-recorded this piano with the Garritan. The Equalizer? I didn't think so, I was more a question of velocities, I think. Which reverb then? I am not sure, but since I did this with SONAR 5 (yes, SONAR 5!) it must have been some reverbs SONAR provided. Maybe PianoVerb as an external reverb? I had that also. Together with some Klaerhuss stuff.

Yes, Cass. I have some dark but very lovely corners. Later one, I decided to go for solely "classical" and gave away my copy of JABB to a bloke in the USA or Canada (long time ago, and my memory fails on that). I remember having Band-in-a-Box also, maybe this one helped me getting that "jazzy" flow. I really don't know it anymore.

Thank you, folks, that you loved it,

Raymond
    [Altiverb uses the TODD-AO-Studio, the studio is not longer in use in reality]

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    now, THIS IS A SURPRISE!

I have a theory for this.... Jay's grrrroovy thing has infected the whole forum and Raymond started to swing, too
    You all, do not let the fact that this is an old post trick you: somewhere in all of this there surely is a "back to the future" kind of paradox.

Raymond, very glad to discover this "dark side" of yours... or "late-night side of yours". And pretty good swinging, too! Did you "compose" the piano part, or played it live?

I sincerely am pleasantly surprised.

Time to go to bed now. Good night to those who go to bed.... Good morning to whoever wakes up... and have fun to all of those in "the middle".

Fab
    Hi Fab, partly played the piano live. Some chords were difficult to reach with those artrosis-fingers. Let's say it is a mix. I really don't know anymore how I got this all. There is a score, maybe I used this for MIDI output and then with SONAR 5 made the recording. While writing this message, I looked for the MIDI file. I still have it sitting around. A very old file, two "takes", one from 16 nov 2003 and the other february 2004.

I won't ask what you'd planned for things in "the middle"..........

Bye bye,

Raymond

Speaking of a surprise. I thought I knew Raymond by now, but what a mistake. That must be a reference to the early years you were hanging about in obscure smoky bars... What else will you bring to our attention in the near future?

One thing is sure: Whatever dear Raymond does, he does it really well. Another example of your versatility!

Thanks a lot for sharing

Max

There is a lot, you don't know, folks........

Raymond

Hey, it seems you had the same early days as Jelly Roll Morton's!

Now we understand how you got your piano skills sorted out....

Fab

I am excusing myself always that jazz is not my favored art form, and I am fully aware my shameful lock of jazz- education.
    However, I did enjoy your Sunday ( night, rather than afternoon, judging by the smoky atmosphere and the waft of whiskey and brandy).
    Around 3:00 you used your sustain pedal, and to me, the wonderful chords you used came alive.
    I liked it, and thanks for posting it.

Ted

Hey, I love your old side, if it is this one

The only remark is the rythm is sometime a bit too mechanical, but wow the whole rest is so good. Sounds really acoustic, great sound ambience as well... and fresh melodic invention.

Go Back to forum