• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: In which library could this instrument be found?

Share/Bookmark

In which library could this instrument be found?

Hi,

just heard the intro of Goldsmith\'s Star Trek I movie and I\'m wondering from which instrument this metalic sound could be from.
    Does anybody know a library where to get this instrument (bowed cymbal, strings below the bridge??).

Any hint appreciated,

Mick

Re: In which library could this instrument be found?

I once heard that he had a special built long metal box (think of a large square pipe) with a long piano string stretched inside it.

I don\'t believe that sound is present anywhere commercially (kinda like the lightsaber sound from Star Wars).

Believe it or not, Absynth has some similiar textures....I would also recommend Distorted Reality 1 and 2....neither will have the exact sound though!

Mick,
    Sounds like a waterphone to me, have a look here for more info and some sound examples http://www.waterphone.com/
    As to sample libs with this sound, some of the old Roland percussion libraries had some but I don\'t know of anything in Giga format that has this sound.

Brian

I have heard this exact sound at the start of the first track to Mark Snows, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea soundtrack. The only thing I know that comes close is a sample on Sonic Images. Its the same sound but different... maybe B us right, maybe it is a waterphone. I\'ll have to check it out.

Ed

hmm, ok having looked at the waterphone page... yes it is a waterphone! I might just have to get one [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

There are suberb Waterphone patches in the NI Generator bundle.
    MP

Originally posted by Michiel Post:
    There are suberb Waterphone patches in the NI Generator bundle.
    MP
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">What is the \"NI Generator bundle\"?

Ed

Sounds like a waterphone to me too.

Maybe Bolder Sounds has that amongst their eclectic collection?

Thanks guys for your hints. Yes, it´s definetely a waterphone. I made an extensive websearch about and found the Synclavier Percussion Vol. 2 (World and Orchestral) featuring the waterphone (except some synth patches like my trustworthy old K2000). Does anybody have experiences with this library?

best regards,

Mick

The instrument referred to by midphase is called a blaster beam. This is used in the Star Trek score to represent the cloud. But there\'s plenty of waterphone in that soundtrack too. There are alot of similarities between that and Goldsmith\'s score for Poltergeist.

Go Back to forum