• Register
  • Help

Topic: missing CC64 and transferring midi file from Finale to Sonar X2

Share/Bookmark

missing CC64 and transferring midi file from Finale to Sonar X2

I hope Michael is still watching this board as I think he is a Finale Guru. Anyone else that knows the answer is more than welcome to chime in.

I am working on a piece and need to get a CD ready for the performance group to evaluate the work. I have the piece finished in Finale 2011 and am trying to transfer it to Sonar X2 in the form of a midi file saved from Finale. The midi data transfers nicely. I have the velocities and CC#1 right the way they were in the dynamics of the written finale version. What I DON'T have are the slur markings being saved as CC#64 data. I remember that they used to transfer over to Sonar when I saved the Midi file from Finale but I can't seem to find a way of doing it now.

Can anyone enlighten me on how this is done. I really, really, hate re-doing all the slurs for a 4-part ten minute work.

Thanks for any help.

I would go to the Finale site but, I like the way everyone on this board treats each other.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: missing CC64 and transferring midi file from Finale to Sonar X2

Rich, in the PRV try looking for CC 68 data. Pretty sure that's still what Garritan in Finale uses instead of 64. Once you find it, select everything in that 68 controller lane, click "copy" to the left, make a new lane for 64 and paste.

---I think that's what the deal is.

Randy

Thanks Randy, I did think of that but there is NO data in the CC#64 lane or the CC#68 lane. The only data that moved over in the midi file was CC#1 and velocity.

Rich

I got it to work but I am not sure why! I turned all the Human Playback settings from "HP (Incorporate Midi data)" to HP (Ignore Midi Data). Seems backwards to me but that did the trick.

Rich

Post Re: missing CC64 and transferring midi file from Finale to Sonar X2

Hello Rich,

I'm glad you have it working there now.

Just to confirm what Randy wrote that Finale uses cc68 instead of cc64 for slurs. I'm sure you know that if you continue to use the 'Notation' set when in Sonar, you can go on letting the file use cc68 which is what I do.

In Finale I always leave my HP setting to 'Ignore Midi Data' which is the default setting leaving HP to 'interpret' the score and to add the necessary MIDI data when exporting the MIDI file.

If HP is set to 'Incorporate Midi Data' then it expects there to be existing MIDI data in the file to take care of slurs so HP will leave it alone and will not add the necessary MIDI data to the MIDI file.

Anyway, you found the solution and everything is working as it should. Great.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Thanks for the explanation Michael. The way the terminology read, my mind interpreted it backwards to what really should be done. Oh well, that's my mind not Finale. I have had Finale since the early 90's and still haven't been able to read the whole manual yet. Anyway, thanks for the clarification. I knew this was the forum to drop this question in. You guys are GREAT!

Rich

Go Back to forum