• Register
  • Help

Topic: Safe

Is this place safe yet?
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Ellendale, ND

Re: Safe

That is nearly impossible to say, but it has been stable for a couple of weeks, and here seem to have been a couple of improvements on how the forum operates. How are things going with you?

Yes everything seems secure and running smoothly for sometime now.

We are still here

I was trepidatious for a few days after the Forum was back up and running, concerned that the hacker may have allowed it to be up just long enough to harvest people's personal info. I admit that. But then I got back on, started posting again, and as our admin, PaPaChalk, points out - it's been running smoothly for several weeks now. He did a great job, moving, reviving, protecting - getting Northern Sounds back going and more smoothly than it has for quite some time.

Make Music doesn't seem to have any interest in the Forum, is still warning people to not get involved, and attempting their little blogs and Facebook pages - none of which even register a quiver on the importance meter compared to Gary's actual and original Forum, right here where we are now.

I feel we all have to do our bit in helping to keep the Forum running. Ever since Gary stopped being involved, it's been a shadow of its former self, and I suppose it's not realistic to think it could ever return to its glory days. But we don't have to make that a self-fulfilling prophecy. All we have to do is get back to being involved - Posting our music, AND posting responses to other people's music. To post music and not respond to others is a very unhelpful way of operating, and I hope people who do that will wake up and realize they aren't helping the Garritan Community by doing that.

The original topics on the Forum were in the wake of each new Garritan release. That stopped being the case when after World, Organs and Harps, the conversation was extremely scant. I was sorry to see that. But, if all Garritan users who have ever been to this Forum would simply start visiting on a daily basis, responding to whatever attracts their attention - the Forum would fly again.

We've missed you, Bill - Hope you join back in.

I don't have any metrics to back this up, but my gut "hunch" is that there are more folks here than just those who are still posting. For myself, I tend to get involved when there is something to talk about, so to speak, such as a new piece posted or a new problem that requires examination and hopefully, a solution. I suspect that there are a number of long-time regulars who like Randy, have small doubts about the continued existence of this wonderful resource, but unlike him, are still hanging back to watch what's happening before diving back in.

This is still a viable place, but like a lot of these forums, it has its ebbs and flows. The current low point is likely due to the problems we've had in recent months, but which PaPa Chalk has blessedly managed to overcome.

So, any members who are reluctant to wander back to the fold, please note that all is well at present, and know you will be welcome back.

(We'll leave a light on for ya.)

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

I did not like MM's behavior concerning this forum. Unlike Kevin, at least partially, I do "sense" bad times are coming, since new blood will hardly come in, following to MM's "blockade".
    I am not part of the historical user base and may not appear constantly on these pages because of my schedule.... I do enjoy this community, though. There's lot to learn, the right amount of music to listen to without this being "overwhelming", there's Randy... and users are more than enough. Only, I wish, too, that everyone would be more active and I do understand the meaning of Randy's recent "shakes". Come on guys... we are here, we share the same passion...

I'm in...

There are a lot of good friends here. I've met many of you. Yes, a grand resource to share or to ask questions. Not-to-worry, the way MakeMusic is going, they will probably fold before we do.

Welcome and glad to reacquaint with this wonderful forum.

We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Thanks everyone! BVstudios (Kevin) you are correct there is a larger Audience. There are many people here into the few thousands everyday, much more than the smaller amount who post. This is one of the reasons we keep this site up. There are many who use the forum simply for information stored here. We welcome anyone who would like to participate in this community at northern sounds

I feel the same way that PaPa Chalk and Randy feel. There are many "eyes" on this Forum and it would probably shock a lot of our members to realize that a lot of those eyes belong to some of the folks that were everyday contributors back when Gary's first libraries were being produced. As many of you have stated, a lot of yesterday's regulars are standing in the wings along with those that keep returning because of the vast amount of information and talent inherent in our total membership.

Long live the Garritan Community........We are a loyal user group of the Garritan libraries and for those that were present shortly after the turn of the century, certainly remember the leadership and generosity inherent in that man named Gary Garritan. He created libraries that would give us all a chance to make our musical ideas come to life; and, at a nominal investment price. But more than that, he motivated all to a higher level of music creativity through the use of his libraries. He also, at the same time, with his vibrant personality became the "head" of the family that we freely joined. Each member was an entity and important to him and he did everything in his power to see that everyone was enjoying their musical journey through the use of sampled instruments. I don't think anyone or anything could break the bond this membership has with him or he with us. It is, indeed, a "One for all, and all for one" relationship.

Thank you PaPa Chalk for keeping this venue alive and operating well.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum