• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pardon my ignorance, but what is ProSamples all about?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is ProSamples all about?

I\'m still relatively new to the whole sampler scene... so maybe you\'ll understand when I express puzzlement over these ProSamples CDs that cost only $50 and have the cover image of $400-$500+ sample libraries stamped on them. For instance, volume 31.. \"Rare Instruments\". Quantum Leap makes that library and it\'s over $400. So, for $50, what are you getting, exactly? Are there fewer samples per instrument? Is it limited in some way? It seems kind of shady to me, especially since the description of the ProSamples CD doesn\'t explain how it\'s \"dummied down\" from the real thing.

So could someone maybe shed some light on this, please?

Re: Pardon my ignorance, but what is ProSamples all about?

I have a bunch of the ProSamples libs. They are limited versions of the full disk from which they are derived. Doug Rogers said elsewhere that you get about half the material (of a single CD library.) Most of the disks contain just enough to be somewhat useful, but no complete instruments (some articulations, but not a full set...)

What I see them as is primarily demos for the real thing. If you like what you get, you can buy the full lib from East-West and they will give you a $25 credit for the ProSamples CD, which you still get to keep.

Check the forum for other threads on this, you may find it useful.

Re: Pardon my ignorance, but what is ProSamples all about?

Hi Sam,

We make ProSamples for the consumer market, not the professional market. They are not aimed at Giga users, who are usually more sophisticated than the average ProSamples user.

The ProSamples versions of some Giga libraries, such as Rare Instruments, Quantum Leap Brass, etc. are great for those on a budget as they get award-winning sounds for a very small price. Obviously, what they don\'t get are the variety of sounds from the original version.

On average each ProSamples volume contains approx. 300-350Mbs of audio data. If you do the math, it works out at about the same cost per sound as a $99 audio CD, except you get up to 7 different formats in ProSamples (which import into all of the samplers available).

The content is mostly taken from libraries that have received awards such as Keyboard\'s KEY BUY AWARD, Sound On Sound\'s 5 STAR award, Future Music\'s PLATINUM AWARD etc.

ProSamples are also a good way to audition the larger libraries inexpensively, and, as was pointed out previously in this thread, we offer a very generous upgrade program.

I hope that helps.

All the best,

Doug Rogers

Go Back to forum