• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: It's not the VSL, but it's free!

Share/Bookmark

It\'s not the VSL, but it\'s free!

If you\'ve got some free time on your hands, and would like to program your own multisampled programs, there are a whole bunch of free samples (every note, and various articulations) of instruments to be found at the Iowa Musical Instrument Database (AIFF, 44.1Khz) :

http://theremin.music.uiowa.edu/MIS.html

Now if only I can take a day off to do this...

Ned

Re: It\'s not the VSL, but it\'s free!

Thanks for the link Ned!

Great source of free samples. Unfortunately they are all dry as a desert but the solo cello seems nice, so I think I\'ll spend some time and program a .gig out of the best instruments.

Thomas

cool link! I processed the bass trombone with one of the concert halls in acoustic mirror (wet signal only).. sounded pretty nice

Would either of guys be willing to share your files?

I have downloaded a few instruments and started some editing. I hope to post the results later this week in Gig format. In the mean time, I have put the raw samples (Waves in Rar format) for the bass trombone, Eb clarinet and flute on www.samplicity.com/iowa as mirror site.

Cheers,

(bump)

I have posted the raw sample files on http://www.samplicity.com/iowa (which maps to my Deltaworks webspace).

Format: Wave files in Rar.

CBS and Cello are not yet added. There are no samples on the MIS site for the bass clarinet.

This stuff will probably be here temporarily. If I make some Gigs, or get Gigs from others, they will replace the corresponding Rar files.

Peter

Source: http://theremin.music.uiowa.edu/MIS.html

Hi Peter,

I just want to say thank you and let us know when you make gig files from these. Thanks.

Steve Chandler

Anybody else having trouble extracting from Peter\'s mirror site rar files? I have downloaded the trombones and one of the clarinets but always get error messages \"unknown method\" when I attempt to extract. I\'ve never had problems with rar files before.

Anyway, Peter, thanks for making them available and I guess barring some insights on my problem from someone else I\'ll just wait til you (and others maybe) post gig files.

Thanks also to Iowa U for sharing their work.
    Carl

I just checked the trombones and clarinets by downloading the Rar files I uploaded earlier. No problem whatsoever here... All wave files in them are ok. I use WinRar 3.0.

You can of course check the IOWA URL, which is sometimes hard to contact or download from. I have not added anything (yet), only converted and compressed.

Originally posted by carlmsmith:
    Anybody else having trouble extracting from Peter\'s mirror site rar files? I have downloaded the trombones and one of the clarinets but always get error messages \"unknown method\" when I attempt to extract. I\'ve never had problems with rar files before.

Anyway, Peter, thanks for making them available and I guess barring some insights on my problem from someone else I\'ll just wait til you (and others maybe) post gig files.

Thanks also to Iowa U for sharing their work.
    Carl
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">works with winrar 3.0 here

Go Back to forum