• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newbie Question

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Newbie Question

Hello

This may well be a silly question. I am a Pro Tools user new to Midi and have just purchased several Garritan products (JABB, GPO, IO) but I'm having a problem running multiple channels of Midi into and out of a single instance of Aria Player.

I have read both the Garritan and Pro Tools manuals yet just cannot find the answers I am looking for. I assume I am doing something fundamentally wrong or do you think I will have to open multiple instances of Aria Player to properly use the Garritan software in Pro Tools?

Thanks for your help,

Re: Newbie Question

The stand alone ARIA player is stereo only.

If you use the "multi" vst version you will find you have multiple audio channels,
    i.e. ARIA Player Multi VST_x86.dll

Regards,
    John
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Thanks for your reply John.

I'm not using it as a stand-alone but as an RTAS multi plug-in inside Pro Tools.

I have created multiple instruments tracks and am running a single instance of Aria Player to feed into them all but things don't seem to be working as they should. I'm wondering if any of the other users on the forum are also Pro Tools users?

Quote Originally Posted by Haiku View Post
    Hello

This may well be a silly question. I am a Pro Tools user new to Midi and have just purchased several Garritan products (JABB, GPO, IO) but I'm having a problem running multiple channels of Midi into and out of a single instance of Aria Player.

I have read both the Garritan and Pro Tools manuals yet just cannot find the answers I am looking for. I assume I am doing something fundamentally wrong or do you think I will have to open multiple instances of Aria Player to properly use the Garritan software in Pro Tools?

Thanks for your help,
    Hello Haiku and a warm welcome to our forums.

First I'm not a Pro Tools user. I use Sonar and I would have thought the very basics would be similar in any DAW.

As I'm sure you know, ARIA has 16 slots. So for one instance of ARIA you can have 16 tracks in your DAW with each individual track being routed to one of the slots in ARIA. I can't see that this would be any different in Pro Tools.

I should add here that the routing of tracks to instruments in the ARIA slots should be done/checked manually. In Sonar, I have often found that some tracks do link up with the slots in ARIA but these, more often than not, are inaccurate and I have to manually re-assign them.

You should only need multiple instances of ARIA if you have more than 16 tracks, another instance of the player for tracks 17 to 32, another instance for tracks 33 to 48 and so on.

Obviously, care is needed to ensure that the tracks are routed to the correct ARIA instrument slot. So, if a solo violin is on track four, then this must be routed to the ARIA slot carrying a solo violin.

If you have everything setup as above and things still are not working properly, then here's hoping that a Pro Tools user will reply.

In the meantime I hope I've mentioned something that 'clicks' and moves things along.

Good luck.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Michael

Many thanks for your detailed reply. In the meantime, after much fiddling, I had discovered the cause of the problem and it is a Pro Tools issue .. or rather Pro Tools operator error! For some reason it wasn't reading the Midi input information when I had it set to specifically to my Doepfer master keyboard but instead needs for it to be set to 'All'.

Seems to be working now but thanks for replying.

Quote Originally Posted by Haiku View Post
    Michael

Many thanks for your detailed reply. In the meantime, after much fiddling, I had discovered the cause of the problem and it is a Pro Tools issue .. or rather Pro Tools operator error! For some reason it wasn't reading the Midi input information when I had it set to specifically to my Doepfer master keyboard but instead needs for it to be set to 'All'.

Seems to be working now but thanks for replying.
    That's great. A happy outcome.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I'm glad you got things worked out, Haiku - Your problem raised my curiosity since what you did initially seems like it should have worked - directly choosing your keyboard as the MIDI input.

I found this online that explains why you had to choose "All." It looks like there's more you could do to get things set up the way the program expects. As with many things, Pro Tools just does some things differently, and it's usually behind in development compared to other programs. Here's the quote and a fairly detailed article at Sound on Sound about using Pro Tools:

"...you'll need to get to grips with setting up MIDI I/O for the computer, if you haven't already. Pro Tools doesn't communicate directly with MIDI devices, instead relying on the computer's OS to handle the low-level I/O..."

Sound on Sound Pro Tools article

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I'm glad you got things worked out, Haiku - Your problem raised my curiosity since what you did initially seems like it should have worked - directly choosing your keyboard as the MIDI input.

I found this online that explains why you had to choose "All." It looks like there's more you could do to get things set up the way the program expects. As with many things, Pro Tools just does some things differently, and it's usually behind in development compared to other programs. Here's the quote and a fairly detailed article at Sound on Sound about using Pro Tools:

"...you'll need to get to grips with setting up MIDI I/O for the computer, if you haven't already. Pro Tools doesn't communicate directly with MIDI devices, instead relying on the computer's OS to handle the low-level I/O..."

Sound on Sound Pro Tools article

Randy
    I read this thread with interest, and it is the only post I've seen that specifically addresses my issue.
    I have downloaded "reaper", and initially had problems using 1 instance of the aria player to load vsti's from gpo4, so I used an instance per channel (13 channels, 13 aria players). An associate said don't do that, too much cpu usage. I will reread above and experiment. Could someone tell me where to find the specific information to use the aria player with midi, so I only use 1 player in reaper ?
    Steve Wisnoski

Quote Originally Posted by stevewisnoski View Post
    I read this thread with interest, and it is the only post I've seen that specifically addresses my issue.
    I have downloaded "reaper", and initially had problems using 1 instance of the aria player to load vsti's from gpo4, so I used an instance per channel (13 channels, 13 aria players). An associate said don't do that, too much cpu usage. I will reread above and experiment. Could someone tell me where to find the specific information to use the aria player with midi, so I only use 1 player in reaper ?
    Aria's pretty CPU-light to begin with, so I don't think you'll have too much trouble running multiple instances of Aria. As to why the multiple instruments loaded in Aria isn't working for you, I'm not really sure... if you're managing to get a single instrument working, check your midi channel number assignments to make sure your midi tracks are sending notes on the right channel (and maybe the Reaper routing just to make sure midi channels being sent is set to 'All' and not a specific channel).

I used to run Aria with multiple instruments loaded more... but lately I've been running multiple instances of Aria just so I could stick a different reverb or effects on each instrument. (There's a way of using the multi-out for the audio to be split into different tracks to do that too, but I've been too lazy to figure it out, and Aria's so lightweight that it hasn't been an issue anyhow).

(Also wondering if a new thread is more appropriate rather than a resurrected thread...)
    -- Matt Wong

Go Back to forum