• Register
  • Help

Topic: franz_bestservice - why not use MSOffice?

Share/Bookmark

franz_bestservice - why not use MSOffice?

Hey Franz.

I read in a post of yours that you recommend not installing Word97 on a Giga PC.

It would be extremely convenient for me to have my work database and word prcoessor on my Giga PC.

If I disable fast find and get rid of the stupid floating shortcut bar, would MS Office Pro still screw up performance?

Re: franz_bestservice - why not use MSOffice?

As far as I can tell from my expierence, office is not the probelm (if you indeed dissable all the garbage, incl the startup items). But somehow on several computers I expierenced an increased CPU usage once internet explorer 5 or higher was installed. Franz, do you know anything about this?

I understand on your giga /sequencer computer you shouldn\'t have alot of programs installed ,because with all that code from different programs there\'s a greater likelyhood that there will be a glitch.Hence what Franz is talking about with Office 97/2000.
    What about installing eithernet software on the giga /sequencer computer so it can talk to the second computer .
    Does that increase the possibility of conflicts? thanks , Ken

When your system is optimized to best for audio (no one is sharing the CPU), before you start any aplications (first reboot), check the system performance (System property, performance), you should have about \"95% free\" or better. If not you need to run the msconfig to remove the junks from start up. You could have the MS-office but make sure the startup is disable (shortcut-bar).
    In the Windows-98Lite without the MS-office, you should have about \"98% free\" in system performance. (just a reference)

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 10-06-2000).]

A question for LHong
    I went under msconfig ,like you mentioned and unchecked everything and now Im gettting 97 percent free system resorces on 98-2 OP system.
    I was wondering if I should leave scan registry[then I get 94 percent free]or there\'s sysstem tray that uses up a couple percent .
    Is it alright to leave those unchecked. thanks , Ken

It\'s up to you (don\'t hurt), that\'s right, your system performance is as same as mine (94~98% free). So how many % free before you do that?
    I would leave the system-tray and scan registry when I know my system is runing fine with 3% less, otherwise I would un-check everything.
    Hope this helps,
    LHong

Ok
    Ill leave the system tray and the scan registry checked and undo all the rest. thanks

Go Back to forum