• Register
  • Help

Topic: Live for the Memories

Share/Bookmark

Live for the Memories

I haven't posted here in awhile, but I think this might be my last post of my own compositions. I'm kind of on a dry streak and I'm lacking inspiration and I gave up on playing guitar (my primary instrument).
    This piece is called Live for the Memories, my favorite and most hated piece I've ever written. All of it was written using Garritan libraries and Finale...

Thanks for listening,
    Joseph

Re: Live for the Memories

Hello Joseph:

If it makes any difference to you, I enjoyed this piece. I had a feeling that it is finished, and complete.
    Very interesting and beautiful

Ted

Excellent to see you here again, Joseph. It's a wistful piece you've posted, effectively conveying the melancholy that you had in mind, complete with its title which is very bad advice to live by, but seems to phrase what your music is saying.

Your current ennui and frustrations remind me very much of myself. On my current "Overture" post, I've let loose with some venting on my dissatisfaction with all of my current projects. I wrote the posts knowing they'd offer some therapy for myself.

You mustn't ever make announcements of never posting music again, or of taking a dramatic leave from a Forum. They're unhealthy and melodramatic, not good for the soul, and much like the supposedly suicidal revelations people make to people on hot lines when all they want is some attention. Hmm, that could sound harsh. But I prefaced that with mention of my own recent ranting and moaning, because I know it can feel good to publicly vent - and it gives friends an opportunity to respond with some support. I would just want to stop short of over-the-top announcements like never posting music again, or leaving the Forum for some supposedly lofty reason.

You stick around. Share your music. Dry spell I understand, I've been there, everyone here has. After all this time with myself, I know that I can't help but drag myself back to the keyboard and computer, even if I think I don't feel like it, and something always emerges as a result, and I'm better for having made the effort.

Thank you for posting the lovely, depressing music.-- Come back soon, tell us how you're doing.

Randy

Joseph, I liked this a lot. It is something I can relate to. I know what melancholy is... I have shared much of my music here on the forum to the girl I loved and still love who is no longer here with me. Music, sometimes is a way we can all escape... give ourselves answers, reason, and memories. I have done this for years and years. I began music composing because of her... I wanted something to remember her by... It was the only thing I could do during this horrible time, for in the beginning I suffered a lot. I still think of how our future could have ended up, but I am no longer in the darkest and most depressive of times. Now, I just create music to remember her by... to remember every single moment. You know what... it make me happy to remember! The music I compose to remember her by gives me the breath and love I need to continue my life with. So don't give up my friend, you have skill, you have talent, and you have something to compose about. Keep doing it. Share... sharing out music is how we talk and express ourselves. Thank you for sharing this piece. I want to hear more of your music, Joseph.

Regards,

Richard John S

Thanks guys for all the input. I'll stick around here and comment and hopefully post something new for you guys to hear. Ted thanks for the comment, its always nice to hear people like my compositions. Richard and Randy, thanks for being basically my two favorite people on here. You guy's talent is something I aspire and work towards. I know my post was a little too emotional, but I'm trying to find myself and when I do you'll hear something new. I guarantee that. Again thanks,Joseph

Hi Joseph!

I liked your piece! I think that, first of all, it does convey the feelings I understand you were looking for... and that already counts as "accomplishment number 1". You can grab, breath the melancholy in it, this warm sense of sadness...

Also, there are some very nice ideas in it... the dialogue between harp, glockenspiel and strings gives a nice timbre... I liked the rhythm, kind of "hesitant", "cautious", "doubtful" maybe... I also liked the addition of the snare at the end and the unusual sounding final cadence. (but render the file again, it ends rather abruptly).

So.. do not be "grumpy"... creativity is a rather dark hallway to cross, and the fact that you feel dissatisfied means probably just the opposite of what you are sensing right now: there is something in you which you feel is still unexpressed... only, you have to find a way to actually pull it out. And this is never easy...
    Everyone tries to find his inner self... Unfortunately, or I should probably say fortunately, this is something that takes a lifetime (and then some more) and isn't just inherent to music. Keep walking and keep dreaming.

Fab

Thanks Joseph, appreciate that. Looking forward to your new pieces when your ready. Hang in there bud, things will get better over time.

Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Langer View Post
    Thanks guys for all the input. I'll stick around here and comment and hopefully post something new for you guys to hear. Ted thanks for the comment, its always nice to hear people like my compositions. Richard and Randy, thanks for being basically my two favorite people on here. You guy's talent is something I aspire and work towards. I know my post was a little too emotional, but I'm trying to find myself and when I do you'll hear something new. I guarantee that. Again thanks,Joseph

Thumbs up Re: Live for the Memories

Strange comment "favorite and most hated"... but we, musicians, know what you mean

Go Back to forum