• Register
  • Help

Topic: Locked Files (OT)

Share/Bookmark

Locked Files (OT)

All,

Even though I use excellent anti-virus software, malware has somehow entered my computer and has locked over twenty of my files.

Do you know how to unlock files? If so, I would appreciate your input.

Sometimes I think that the minimum penalty for lowlifes who knowingly infect computers in this manner, should be life in prison while simultaneously having to listen to rap 'music' (?) twenty-four hours a day.

Thanks very much in advance.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: Locked Files (OT)

Try this (it's free):

http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/

(NOTE - This installer, like so many other freeware apps these days, tries to install a lot of other utilities as well, so be careful when you run the set up. Read every dialog and make sure you are not clicking to install something you don't want.)

As far as Unlocker goes, it's great. I've been using it for years and never found a file yet that it couldn't give me access to when it inexplicably locks up.

Allegro Data Solutions

Bummer, Larry! On your brand spankin' new computer--?!-- A locked file - I've never seen that happen. What the...?

But listen to ejr, sounds like he has the solution. DO be careful, as he said, UN-checking all the default crap that tries to piggyback on the installation. If you don't turn down whatever extra offers they have, you'll end up with a new tool bar and all sorts of stuff you don't want.

Let us know how it goes Mr. A!

Randy

The new installers are particularly tricky ones. There are no opt out checkboxes. You have to read every dialog carefully and make sure that you are only agreeing to the one that finally installs Unlocker.

Another good tool to have, to help you restore your system from unwanted software, is IO Bit's Uninstaller (also free):

http://www.iobit.com/recommend/ascfr...it_uninstaller

It's much better than Windows and has an option to find and remove any left over files, registry entries, etc. after uninstalling. So far, the only app that I have found it won't completely remove is McAffee products. (McAffee has a freeware removal tool for those on its web site. I don't know of anything else that will remove them.)

Allegro Data Solutions

My thanks to everyone who responded to my locked files dilemma. I appreciate it!

My best to y'all.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Well.. I rarely have these kinds of problems... but as soon as I notice things like this one happening, what I usually do is back up the data (in the rare cases it's not done already, I constantly back up everything), wipe off the disk and re-install the OS and everything else. Not so painful as anyone would think... the contrary, I'd say. I know most people do not feel like doing these kinds of "hard-maintenance" themselves, but these days it is pretty easy to find an acquaintance who is confident enough to do the job for you... or it is pretty cheap to have a pro do it. I do it frequently for friends or relatives.
    The good thing is that this operation ALWAYS gives you back a much better performing system, too, with a clean registry and perfectly optimized disk usage.
    That's the path I'd choose in Larry's position.

I am sure the unlocker will ... well... unlock the files.... but I think it is a wrong principle to have an add-on that does something that should happen by itself if things were normal. Much like taking aspirin in case of cardiac disease: it will lessen the danger, but the problem will still be there. If you can solve the problem at the root, that's the way to go. (Unfortunately, hearts do not get fixed when they get broken....).

My 2 cents.
    Fab

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    Well.. I rarely have these kinds of problems... but as soon as I notice things like this one happening, what I usually do is back up the data (in the rare cases it's not done already, I constantly back up everything), wipe off the disk and re-install the OS and everything else. Not so painful as anyone would think... the contrary, I'd say. I know most people do not feel like doing these kinds of "hard-maintenance" themselves, but these days it is pretty easy to find an acquaintance who is confident enough to do the job for you... or it is pretty cheap to have a pro do it. I do it frequently for friends or relatives.
    The good thing is that this operation ALWAYS gives you back a much better performing system, too, with a clean registry and perfectly optimized disk usage.
    That's the path I'd choose in Larry's position.

I am sure the unlocker will ... well... unlock the files.... but I think it is a wrong principle to have an add-on that does something that should happen by itself if things were normal. Much like taking aspirin in case of cardiac disease: it will lessen the danger, but the problem will still be there. If you can solve the problem at the root, that's the way to go. (Unfortunately, hearts do not get fixed when they get broken....).

My 2 cents.
    Fab
    Thanks for your response, Mister Fab. Your suggestion is duly noted.

Best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum