• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Disturbing News!

Re: OT: Disturbing News!

oh my god, dude.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Yep, the goody two-shoes are always the first one to jam it right up your pooper sideways.

Screw Pax. Just don\'t work for them. It\'s not like they\'re producing anything worth watching anyway. No dirty words, no titties. Who needs em?

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    Yep, the goody two-shoes are always the first one to jam it right up your pooper sideways.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Isn\'t it the truth. Oh, the irony......

OT: Disturbing News!

PAX TV Network To Composers: Join SESAC and Give Up Your Royalties If You Want to Work For Us

Oct 23, 2002, 9:41am

Los Angeles (Film Music Magazine) -- In a dramatic shift in the way television networks hire composers, the PAX cable television network has instituted policies specifying that U.S. composers hired for PAX-produced shows be a member of performing rights organization SESAC and agree to give up all writers’ royalties for airings of the shows on the PAX network, assigning them to be paid instead to PAX.

The policy was confirmed this week by industry sources and documents obtained by Film Music Magazine.

While some animation companies have insisted that officers of the company be listed as co-writers or sole writers for royalty purposes, amounting to what some in the industry label kickbacks, the PAX policy of demanding that writers on PAX-produced shows, including game shows and drama series, give up their writers royalties entirely for broadcasts on the PAX network and assign them back to PAX is unprecedented in the film and television music industry.

PAX officials had no official comment for this news story, however a PAX representative did point out that if any of the PAX shows in question are broadcast on other networks, the writers would receive their writers’ royalties from those broadcasts – that the policy of insisting that composers give up their writers’ royalties only covered broadcasts on the PAX television network itself.

In a statement to Film Music Magazine, Dennis Lord, Sr. VP of Business Affairs at SESAC said, \"SESAC has not, is not and will not ever seek to coerce a composer to give up any portion of his or her writer\'s share of performance income to any third party.\" Lord and other SESAC officials emphasized that the PAX policy of demanding that writers give up their royalties for PAX broadcasts was not a SESAC initiative or related to SESAC.

ASCAP and BMI officials had no comment for this news story when asked about the PAX policy and ramifications on members of their organizations.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This is a very disturbing piece of news. It could set a precedent that could lead to an avalanche of other networks following in the same footsteps. Anyone who is working in the industry or that has aspirations of writing for television should be involved in responding to this outrageous tactic by boycotting Pax and Paxson subsidiaries.

We as composers already suffer from abuse imposed by low budgets, nepotism, and an ever growing number of music libraries. This is an insult that violently steps on our rights to make a livelyhood for ourselves and our families.

Please contact your representatives and Pax, this must be stopped!

PAX Midwest 312-337-1299
    PAX Northeast 212-603-8462
    PAX South 770-452-9703
    PAX Central/Northwest 303-751-5959
    PAX West 818-487-2070
    PAX Southwest 210-682-2626

Hah, and I thought local producers were blood suckers when they took 50% as \'publishers\'!

bummer, nothing really you can do about it in my opinion. They\'ll get music for their shows one way or another. Maybe they\'ll use \"Band In A Box\" software. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

By and large, commercial music clients are rapidly becoming aware of the fact that it\'s really a buyer\'s market out there. For a wide variety of factors, dark days lie ahead, and I have no idea what might be the catalyst for turning things around.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The catalyst for turning things around is, and always has been, providing excellent and emotionally engaging music of the highest possible quality. It\'s simply a matter of supply and demand, and there will always be a demand for great music.

Stick to your guns and hold out for what you think you are worth. Besides television is such a sad medium. No, it\'s the perfect medium, neither rare nor well done.

Good luck to you all,

It\'s not just PAX. Other networks are trying to do it as well. I\'ve heard NBC, USA, E!, among others try to do it. I think that you really have to say no, if it means losing the job, so be it. Composers have to draw the line and stand their ground - once taking writer\'s share becomes the norm, there\'s no going back. And that will be a huge loss of income. I personally feel that it should be illegal for a non-writer (i.e. PAX) to take the WRITER\'s share (they did not write it)and the PRO\'s (ASCAP,BMI,SESAC) should stand firm against it. They\'ll never bring up this issue on a SONG (as opposed to underscore) and try to take writers, hell they won\'t even touch publishing on a song. Same thing for library music, they don\'t even get writer\'s share on this. If NO composer will agree to it (and it will be hard because it\'s so competitive) then this issue should go away, but this is a critical time - makes me wish there was a composer\'s union. Could you see the writers\' guild standing for this? i think not.

Go Back to forum