• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Rain Piano

Rain Piano

I just wanted to tell you a bit about what we\'ve been up to at Bigga Giggas and let you hear the very first result from our next release, the Rain Piano.
    There\'s so many great grand pianos around right now, (and yes, I\'m currently working on yet another one), so I figured it was time to sample a ordinary upright piano.
    Since I always like to find a different angle, I also wanted to add a special touch to it, so I came up with the idea of the Rain Piano.

I simply gave the pianotuner the instruction to make the piano, sligthly, out of tune, but in a musical way. I wanted the piano to sound like it had been out in the rain for a day or two.....
    After the initial shock, the pianotuner agreed on doing what I asked. I must say he did a very fine job!

The piano got exactly the kind of personality and character that I wanted it to have. Nope, it\'s not a Steinway or a Bosendorf, it\'s a \"Nordiska Pianon\", a nice Swedish piano, and nooo, it\'s not perfectly in tune, it\'s perfectly out of tune, if you get my point......
    It hasn\'t got the classy style and perfection that many of the current sampled pianos have, but it has tons of personality.

The people who have betatested this and another piano (a 8/8 layered concert grand, perfectly IN tune), ends up just doodeling around on the Rain Piano with a silly smile on their face. One comment was, \"I get a feeling that someone is gonna bring me a glass of whisky when I play this...\"

Here\'s a first mp3-example of the Rain Piano (it\'s the midi from the piano shootout page, so you can compare it with the others, but really, this is something different...):
    Rain Piano Beta 0.1

Re: Rain Piano

Yes, quite a lovely little piano ... reminds me alot of the one i have sitting next to me ....

only one thing is can see wrong with the plan ...

it would be wise to also include a version that is \'finely\' tuned .... for the sake of controversy .... otherwise, there will be somebody who says \"boy i just love the tone, but the temperment keeps me from playing it with other acoustic samples.\'

otherwise .. great idea ! was thinking of doing the same for my lil\' upright, although .. probably just easy to keep her in the physical world.

Love it!

Very nice!

The detuning is actually what would HAVE to be in this samples, else it would be \"just another\" piano samples! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Btw something really weird happens to the mp3 here, from 0:34 on.

Worra will you keep me updated on those sax samples please? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Abou tuning:

The piano is detuned in a way that gives it character, but not so much so it wont fit into a musical context. That is, it works with other samples/instruments without sounding sour. We did a first version where it was more over the top, tune-wise, but it became to much a \"silent movie\" piano, so we took it back a bit. I\'ll make a couple of demos that has some more instruments in it so you can hear that it works with other instruments.

About the mp3:
    Oooops, it does sound baaaad after 0.38.... I\'ll make a new one!

About saxes:
    The tenor is soon ready for betatesting...... hopefully we\'ll have sommething for you before christmas!

I\'ve now fixed the mp3 so it plays correctly:

Rain Piano Beta 0.1

Sounds interesting. Any idea when this piano will be available?

Melbourne, Australia

Brought back lots of sweet memories when I was about 7 years old. Reminds of that time in Malaysia when my older sister was learning ballet and I would sit in a little corner of the hall reading my \"Lady Bird\'s\" book series and the piano that they used to dance to sounded exactly like that... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Been looking for samples like this for a long time now!!! Finally have something to work!!! I am sure it will also bring back lots of memories for my mum and sis... ehehhehe...

Great work!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Jake Johnson:
    Sounds interesting. Any idea when this piano will be available?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Within a couple of weeks.

Very cool. How much??

Go Back to forum