• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Piano; Sustain Pedal issue

Share/Bookmark

GPO Piano; Sustain Pedal issue

Hi there,

I recently bought GPO4 and have been playing around with the various different sounds. Everything has been fine so far, with one small exception.

I noticed that with the Steinway Piano sounds, once I've used the sustain pedal, everything will sustain, regardless of whether the pedal is up or down. I'm using a Kawai MP5 with the included F-10H sustain pedal, which supports half pedalling; and using GPO in Sonar.

I checked the MIDI data in the piano roll in Sonar and noticed CC64 is set at 26 when the pedal is up. I guess GPO considers the pedal is still depressed (I tried manually setting CC64 to 0 and it worked correctly then)? I tried the same MIDI with TruePiano and it interprets the data the way I want, so I guess the "off" threshold is different.

Is there any way to tell GPO that a value of 26=off? I looked through the xml files to see if there were any hidden settings there, but couldn't find anything. Alternatively, is there some way of catching the MIDI data before it gets to Sonar and automatically change all values of 26 to 0?

Thanks in advance,
    Nick

Re: GPO Piano; Sustain Pedal issue

Just a thought, but it may not actually be your external device... I have similar problems with the Steinway in GPO, but my use is almost 100% notation-based (Finale, and before that PM). Sometimes, the Steinway simply sets its own sustain pedal, regardless of what I've put into the score. The result is pure and simply- mud. I have to stop playback (and sometimes even stop note entry), clear the pedal in the ARIA player and start again.

And it can happen three times in a row in the exact same passage, then vanish without me actually doing anything.

It's a little frustrating, but one thing that I have noticed: for me at least it only happens when I am using Finale. Once the piece is off the paper and into the DAW or exported to a WAV file, the problem no longer exists.

So far.

I haven't bugged anyone about it because the workaround deals with it well most times, but maybe it's time.
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Quote Originally Posted by nickop View Post
    ...once I've used the sustain pedal, everything will sustain, regardless of whether the pedal is up or down. I'm using a Kawai MP5 with the included F-10H sustain pedal...I checked the MIDI data in the piano roll in Sonar and noticed CC64 is set at 26 when the pedal is up. I guess GPO considers the pedal is still depressed (I tried manually setting CC64 to 0 and it worked correctly then)...
    Nickop, I looked up the manual for your keyboard and pedal and see a number of pages talking about the use of the damper pedal mode - I wonder if you accidentally have that on-?

When you edited the CC64 data in Sonar, changing those odd values of 26 to 0, the piano responded correctly, showing that it indeed needs full zero for it to interpret the data as Off. So hopefully there's some kind of calibration you can do so your pedal goes all the way to zero the way it should. Damper mode being on is my only guess - but I couldn't see what the data should look like for that mode - and that's probably not the source of the problem, it's just the only thing I could come up with. Dig around in the manual, try different settings on the keyboard that interact with the pedal - Something will surely make the pedal transmit the full 0 to 127 range that you need to have.

Something a bit confusing to new GPO users, is that CC64 is used by non-percussion instruments, like strings, for legato. Notes aren't sustained, but CC64 triggers the legato mode. Those instruments will interpret everything between 0 and 64 as Off, 65 to 127 as On - But that's not the case with the piano and other percussion instruments that use CC64 for regular sustain.

Randy

Edit: I wrote a fairly lengthy reply, then decided I'd see what was going on inside the pedal. I was suspicious that the lowest CC value had changed from 26 to 37 for no apparent reason.

Taking it apart was fairly easy and there isn't much in there - I think that there's an optical sensor for the movement of the pedal. Anyway, I cleaned out a bit of dust and now the pedal is transmitting the full 0-127 range.

Thank you both for your responses, it seems this case was just a matter of lack of maintenance combined with my own stupidity.

Anyway, hopefully if anyone has the same issue this might provide some insight for them.

Quote Originally Posted by nickop View Post
    ...I cleaned out a bit of dust and now the pedal is transmitting the full 0-127 range...
    It's fixed! Great! - That was good thinking, to take a look inside the pedal. I love how simple the answer to this odd problem was. We could see things weren't quite working right - but the solution sure was a surprise!

I appreciate you coming back to let us know what the solution was. It's a drag when an issue comes up, there's a discussion, but the OP fails to report back about either success or failure.

Have fun with GPO, nickop!

Randy

Go Back to forum