• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Seeking Garritan World Instruments Tips

Share/Bookmark

Seeking Garritan World Instruments Tips

Okay, I have put this off for long enough! I have been wanting to use WI for a while but am having a hard time thinking of how to compose with it. I tired implementing them into my standard way of composing, but they don't fit the theme to well. So, how would one come up with ideas on what to compose for ethnic types of music. My mind just comes blank! For those who have used the library, what kind of tips would you suggest. It makes even harder when I have never heard of 90% of the names as well lol, but it's time to put this library to use!

Regards,

Richard

Re: Seeking Garritan World Instruments Tips

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    ...I have been wanting to use WI for a while but am having a hard time thinking of how to compose with it. I tried implementing them into my standard way of composing, but they don't fit the theme too well. So, how would one come up with ideas on what to compose for ethnic types of music. My mind just comes blank! For those who have used the library, what kind of tips would you suggest. It makes it even harder when I have never heard of 90% of the names as well...
    It's an excellent post, Richard. I would wager that you aren't alone in owning World, but not quite figuring out what to do with it.

Going to the heart of your post, which is how to come up with ideas of ethnic music ideas, relaying the process I went through when wanting to use the Library should help. But there's a simple preamble to what I'll pass on - and that is that None of us are familiar with the vast majority of instruments in this collection. That's the intriguing thing we're first presented with when listening to the instruments and starting to think on how to use them. The answer is easy as to what these things are - Google is our friend! Typing in the name of any of these exotic instruments will give you info and audio examples of everything in this Library. Doing that will get you well started.

Right before World was released, I was presented with the challenge of coming up with some demos for it. I understood that to give potential users an idea of what the Library was like, I should probably use the instruments in an authentic way. I looked around online, researching the instruments and looking for examples of music that use them in the way they're actually used in their countries of origin. It was a fantastic project for me, and after I'd produced a number of short demos, I presented them, and was very happy to have them embraced by Gary Garritan as good demos of his then-new Library.

At the Make Music site, the information page for Garritan World still uses my demos, along with the excellent ones produced by Robert Davis.

A side note is that unlike the previous Garritan site, the newer one at MM no longer credits the musicians who produced the demos --

Here's the page:

Garritan World Demos

Going down to the SoundCloud player, here's the list of demos I produced:

Chinese Orchestra

Scotland the Brave

Hawaiian Percussion

Raga World

Ukuleles

African Ewe Percussion

Down Under

A Rovin

Native American Chiefs

In each case, I did as I described earlier - I looked up examples of using instruments in the native music of various countries. I listened, and then I opened up Sonar and started going to work, using the virtual instruments to emulate the sound I was hearing from these various recordings. For the Chinese piece, I adapted a traditional Chinese piece I found online. For the Scotland piece, I emulated the arrangement I found of a live performance on YouTube. For the Indian Raga piece, I looked up information on how Ragas are constructed, and wrote an original one. And so on - There's a mixture of original pieces using the appropriate instruments for a given country, and producing my arrangement of traditional music - "A Rovin'" being another example of adapting traditional folk music, and "Native American" being an example of playing instruments characteristically on an original composition.

Now. Those demos are all examples of using World to emulate the style and sound of actual folk music from around the World. Your work isn't in doing emulations, but of writing your mood pieces without being specific to any type of traditional music. You're not going to suddenly be writing a piece in the style of traditional Chinese music, for instance. BUT, you could still do the sort of research I did so you can become familiar with how these instruments sound when played by musicians who understand them, and then adapt that authentic style into your own composition.

An easy parallel can be made between the big movie soundtrack/gaming percussion style and the African percussion it's based on. You could use the African percussion instruments in World in much the same way you're already using other percussion instruments.

You sometimes use woodwinds - You can try experimenting with some of these more exotic flutes rather than the standard Oboe, English Horn, Flute that we use in Western music. You could basically swap out an Oboe line for a Middle Eastern woodwind of some sort, and then adapt the line a bit more so that it sounds more like what the native musicians actually play on that particular instrument.

Give you some ideas?

Basically I'm saying that I know you don't want to suddenly be writing music that sounds like music from other countries, something like I did with the demos for World. But I'm suggesting that you can familiarize yourself a bit with these instruments from an online search, and when you start doing that, I don't see how you could be anything but inspired to start using these instead of the more standard Western instruments.

How's that for a start?

Randy

THanks a lot Randy for the tips. I listened to the demos. Odd that MM is not mentioning you or the other composers in the compositions. I know on soundcloud it shows the name of the composer or musician when being played, they must have completely removed the tags.

Yes indeed, the sounds are erotic in your demos! I think what I am going to do is start with some kind of a melody without chords like you suggested in my other post. I'll start adding some percussion. I have my sonar open right now as I speak. I am going to try something with the Native American Flute, should be interesting!

I love the sounds of the penny whistles too, those are sweet.

I was also thinking maybe of adding some nature noises such as rivers and birds, kind of like relaxation music, that might work as well.

Well, I'll see what I can come up with and post it in the listening room! Time to get some good WI in there!

Regards,

Richard

...Odd that MM is not mentioning you or the other composers in the compositions. I know on soundcloud it shows the name of the composer or musician when being played, they must have completely removed the tags.

Yes indeed, the sounds are erotic in your demos!... I am going to try something with the Native American Flute...
    Well, I was going for "Exotic"--but if you find them "Erotic"--whatever floats your boat, Richard!

Sorry to say, but I think there you see a big difference between MakeMusic and when Garritan ran his own corporation. He always gave credit to who produced demos, but to MM, it's THEIR property now, and they apparently don't want to give credit to people helping to sell their products. It's as if the music is just emerging magically from their corporate machine somehow. Indeed, they stripped the tags. It's a drag. It was helpful to me to have that credit, but now there's no way to prove that's my work.

When working with any of the flutes, probably especially the Native American Flute, one crucial thing to do is lots of grace notes - extremely brief notes before sustained notes, which emulates the movement of fingers on the instrument. Think of the sound of a Native American Flute - look up demos of the real thing - You'll hear what I'm talking about. Just insert notes a tiny bit before the sustained notes and overlap them, and on a different note even if it's 5 notes away from the destination. It's easy to do, and makes the results sound much more authentic and natural. You MUST turn Auto Legato ON in order to be in Mono Mode, otherwise you'll never get any of the flutes to sound right. If you stay in polyphonic mode, you'll have moments of two notes playing at the same time, and all illusion will be destroyed.

Randy

OMG hhaha LOL... I totally meant Exotic... HAHAHAH! Oh man... lol that made me cry laugh LOL!

Yeah, that is a drag that you are not getting credited for your work. Quite sad actually... every composer deserves their credit for their work, even if it is freelance stuff, indeed a it is quite the big difference.

So I got some more done! The legato was auto enabled for the instrument... oddly enough so was the protamento which is very synthy, I had t put the controls down to 0 for a couple of the options. I don't recall having to that before my reformat. One thing I like is the vib controller that works really well and effectively.

Regards,

RIchard

... One thing I like is the vib controller that works really well and effectively...
    I've never understood why, but previously in Garritan, that Vibrato control was purposely hidden. Even in GPO's manual it's listed as a hidden control, and it certainly is. But this Vibrato control via After Touch isn't new in World - it's just finally being displayed on the Controls page, along with the many other controls available.

There are quite a few GPO instruments which will respond to AT for Vibrato also - Certainly helps bring your Trumpets alive, for instance.

EDIT: I want to make sure you understand you wouldn't ever want to just push that knob up and have non-stop Vibrato. You need to either record or draw After Touch data, bringing it in about 1/4 the way into longer notes, the way instruments are actually played. And you don't just insert a single piece of data - The AT has to swoop in and down again, just as you do with the proper use of CC1/11 control.

Randy

For anyone interested in having quick reference for these wonderful and exotic instruments, I offer this collection of videos I compiled for my own use when I first acquired this fascinating library.

Due to my inability to find video examples for all the instruments, this is not a comprehensive set. However, you will find videos of nearly all the instruments included in the Garritan library.

This ZIP file comes from my personal domain (Dreamuse) and is about 1 GB in size.
    http://dreamuse.com/World_Instrument...o_Examples.zip

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Damon View Post
    ...I offer this collection of videos I compiled for my own use when I first acquired this fascinating library...
    What an outstanding thing to do, Sean - ! I hope Richard sees your post - The demos of the real instruments you've put together should help him immensely. Anyone wanting to get over "World-phobia" should benefit.

When I searched out examples of various instruments that I wanted to work with in the demos, as I recall, I was finding a lot of MP3s rather than videos. They served me well, since my concern was what the sound of an authentic performance on each instrument was. Did you restrict your references to just video?

Randy

Thanks a lot for sharing this Sean. I think this will be a big help. I finished downloading the file earlier today and will watch the videos as soon as I get off work. Thanks again for the share.

Regards,

Richard

I'm in somewhat the same boat as Richard, and really appreciate his post and your responses. Now, once I get through my next few projects, I'll attack the World Instruments!

Thanks again. John
    John Newell
    www.johnnewellmusic.com
    GPO4, Garritan World Instruments, Digital Performer 7.24, Finale 2012, Miroslav Philharmonik

Go Back to forum