• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Awesome Atmosphere Demo!

Share/Bookmark

Awesome Atmosphere Demo!

Vinyl Ambience Morph was amazing!

I wish there would be a hardware version of this synth, as I don\'t feel too confident running it alongside my Sonar sequencer with a wrapper.

So Eric, any plans? (I guess not)

Can it run standalone on a seperate PC, like Giga?
    If so then I might consider it anyway.

And a final question: Many of the demos feature sounds with slow attacks. Is the attack pre-defined or can you alter it in realtime? It is especially noticeable in the Adagio Expressivo demo.

Thanks in advance,
    Thomas

Re: Awesome Atmosphere Demo!

Heh of course he has no plans to step to hardware. The whole point is to get *away* from it! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

That\'s kinda what I thought too, but I don\'t trust software synths that much.. they tend to crash and whatnot.. I prefer hardware where available. Gigastudio is an exception though.

Thomas

Ok, but then again hardware is expensive, takes up a lot of room and is not really environment friendly. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Enoug said, let\'s not make this thread a pro-con hardware/software-synth thread. I already had a nice discussion about this with Simon the other night. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Maarten

Wasn\'t Michiel Post planning a stand alone Giga rig for an acoustic piano? And what\'s wrong with having 8 instead of 7 PCs for this awful instrument? Hehe... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hansi

Mr. Polar, check out Michiels website! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I\'m testing it extensively with SONAR and DirectiXer. It\'s working great. And yes the attack is modifiable, if you note the amp env section on the screen shot there are sliders for ADSR. The Adagio Expressivo is a dual layer patch, each layer can have independently configured attack..

The MP3 Demos are great, yet Atmosphere can do a lot more... there just so much variety in there I can hardly stand it.

-david abraham

David

What system are you running Atmosphere on?(How does your system perform?) What would a decent system recommendation be in your opinion, since you have some experience using it thus far?

How does Atmosphere perform in regards to CPU usage/Ram?

The DirectXiser sounds like a good option, as I have heard that it indeed does play vst with low latency.

Oh and liked your Demo, Very nice!

Please shed some light its dark in here

Caveman...

I also note Stylus also has a new (to me anyway) demo page:
    http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/stylus/demos.html

Try \"Bitshift vs Stylus\".

Originally posted by caveman:
    David

What system are you running Atmosphere on?(How does your system perform?) What would a decent system recommendation be in your opinion, since you have some experience using it thus far?

How does Atmosphere perform in regards to CPU usage/Ram?

The DirectXiser sounds like a good option, as I have heard that it indeed does play vst with low latency.

Oh and liked your Demo, Very nice!

Please shed some light its dark in here

Caveman...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Caveman:

My current system is an Athlon 1.33Ghz with 512MB of RAM. This by modern PC soft-synth enthusiast standards would be a slow system.

Currently I\'m running with 256 buffers which translates to about 5ms latency. I normally run at 128 but have been testing at 256 recently.

Atmosphere even in beta stage on my \"slow\" system is performing very very well. Roughly equivalent to the NI synths like FM7 probably ever-so-slightly better. So if you have one of these you can test on your system to get an idea. However again it\'s in beta so I expect further optmisations still.

Any of the Athlon processors over 1.5Ghz or the Pentium 4 \"Northwood\" processors at 2.2 or higher will provide a rewarding and enjoyable experience with Atmosphere, no question about it.

There\'s much variety in patch size some are large some are small (but all, and I really mean -all- sound good). In general I would recommend a healthy amount of RAM for soft synth power users. The more RAM the better. I haven\'t run into any limitations with my 512MB, but I\'m sure I\'ll want to push it hard in the future, so I\'m planning for 1 - 1.5Gig. I wouldn\'t want to mention specific sizes for specific patches because these are subject to change during the optimization process.

If you are thinking about a new system consider contacting Jim Roseberry at http://www.studiocat.com. He knows PC DAWS/Audio, GIGA, SoftSynths, performance tuning and stability techniques inside out.

DirectiXer is also a great tool, and is written by another one of these persons who just know a great deal about PC Audio at the technical level, and we\'re fortunate that they take the time to create useable products for us.

Thanks for your comment on the demo, I hope to make even more satisfying music going forward with Atmosphere, I think I\'ll really be able to stretch with this synth.

-david abraham

Go Back to forum