• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gabriel's Oboe

Share/Bookmark

Red face Gabriel's Oboe

This wonderful and popular piece (I love Ennio Morricone), is very challenging: the vibrant and lyrical sound of the strings and the expressive and free solo are so hard to replicate with virtual instruments... I just try, to improve my technical skills, (and ok, to have fun as well ).

Gabriel's Oboe

(SampleModelling SWAM Oboe; VSL Strings; VSL MIRPro 24 virtual stage)

as usual comments and suggestions are welcome!

Re: Gabriel's Oboe

What a wonderful rendition of one of my favorite pieces by Morricone (and there so many!). Very nicely done, Fabio! Bravo!
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

I believe you have seen the Mission. My most favored movie, and I realize that the responsibility lies with the music of Morricone. Just a wonderful rendition you made, I wish your oboe would be a little mellower but the strings...oh you lucky and talented man....
    Thanks

Ted

Fabio!!! I am also fan of this composition!!! I have heard this many times before. This has a real nice and emotional sound to it. Thank you for sharing this amazing piece!

Regards,

Richard

Ah... THE MISSION.... I' ll have to echo Ted: this is one incredible movie, everything about it was sort of amazing. Jeremy Irons and DeNiro were all over the place, the setting was to dream of, scripts do not get much better than this and Morricone pulled a really giant rabbit out of his hat. "Vita Nostra" was a diamond.

Anyway... Fabio, when I saw your title in the thread in the LR I hurried up listening . Amazing performance, just what we expect from you. Just a couple of questions: did you deliberately choose to use just a minimum of vibrato on the oboe? Actually, I loved the vibrato in the first part: just the right amount. In the second half the vibrato is somehow "shy".
    Ah... there is also a weird thing. At around :31 there is a sequence F#-E-E-D-D. The E seems SO out of tune. Isn' t that strange? Have you been applying some micro-tuning? It is strange because just afterwards the phrase gets repeated and the E seems fine (but those could belong to another set of samples...). I do not know... If it is only me please say so as I'll immediately book a visit with my otolaryngologist!
    I'll have to echo Ted again: the oboe is a bit shrill, it resonates too much in the high frequencies. It is probably its coupling with the reverb, as it was otherwise very pleasant when you did Haendel' s WM rendering. The oboe could also be too "powerful" compared to strings, it just makes them disappear.
    Anyway... these are just subjective points: do not rely too much on my words (I am sure you won't ).

Congrats!

Fabry

ah ah! I was waiting for you around this corner…
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Smile Re: Gabriel's Oboe

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    Ah... THE MISSION.... I' ll have to echo Ted: this is one incredible movie, everything about it was sort of amazing. Jeremy Irons and DeNiro were all over the place, the setting was to dream of, scripts do not get much better than this and Morricone pulled a really giant rabbit out of his hat. "Vita Nostra" was a diamond.

Anyway... Fabio, when I saw your title in the thread in the LR I hurried up listening . Amazing performance, just what we expect from you. Just a couple of questions: did you deliberately choose to use just a minimum of vibrato on the oboe? Actually, I loved the vibrato in the first part: just the right amount. In the second half the vibrato is somehow "shy".
    Ah... there is also a weird thing. At around :31 there is a sequence F#-E-E-D-D. The E seems SO out of tune. Isn' t that strange? Have you been applying some micro-tuning? It is strange because just afterwards the phrase gets repeated and the E seems fine (but those could belong to another set of samples...). I do not know... If it is only me please say so as I'll immediately book a visit with my otolaryngologist!
    I'll have to echo Ted again: the oboe is a bit shrill, it resonates too much in the high frequencies. It is probably its coupling with the reverb, as it was otherwise very pleasant when you did Haendel' s WM rendering. The oboe could also be too "powerful" compared to strings, it just makes them disappear.
    Anyway... these are just subjective points: do not rely too much on my words (I am sure you won't ).

Congrats!

Fabry
    Hi Fabry,
    all your comments are actually correct. I deliberately moderate the vibrato, to create a contrast between first and second section, and maybe yes it's a bit too shy: I used a live performance as a reference, and it sounded better even with less vibrato due to the other limit you noticed, some resonances of the IR are not pleasent at all.

At my actual knowledge (and time to work, being not a professional producer, nor getting payed for it ahahah ) I wasn't able of get rid of the artifacts. This is probably the main limit of this instrument, very flexible and expressive for the rest.

About the Oboe being a bit too loud, of course you are right, but of course it's intentional, being it a demo of the Oboe (others made the Oboe even more loud... but I've a kind of musical censorship preventing me from excess LOL).

About detuning I think it's due to vibrato e dynamic: the instrument has some random humanization, actually very realistic, but sometime a bit too strong by coincidence: this issue can be fixed very easily because the instrument give to the user full control on the amount of humanization, it was just my fault if it's unpleasant according your taste (such a demanding listener you are ).

Thank you for listening and for the intelligent and musical comments.
    ciao
    Fabio

Beautiful! From the beginning to the nice IV-I ending it's a very good, realistic rendering. I'm impressed with your abilities, Mister Fabio!

Thanks for posting it.

Best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Red face Re: Gabriel's Oboe

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Beautiful! From the beginning to the nice IV-I ending it's a very good, realistic rendering. I'm impressed with your abilities, Mister Fabio!

Thanks for posting it.

Best,

Larry
    Maestro Alexander, it's always a pleasure reading your comments: such a deep musical knowledge beside a lovely sense of humor! Larry I really appreciate them, every time.

Fabio! What a marvelous piece of music that you chose to render, and a marvelous render it is. The sample libs that you used sound quite authentic. I wish that I could afford some higher end string libs because I have been moderately satisfied with the sounds that I have been getting but getting them sound to really sound authentic is a challenge. This is a very nice post and a good listen. Jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast