• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best PC host app for soft synths??? (spectrum??)

Best PC host app for soft synths??? (spectrum??)

I am putting together PC just to run soft synths.
    Primarily atmosphere and kontakt.
    Since atmosphere does not work as a stand alone app I need a host program.
    Since I sequence on a mac I would like to get a sequencer that is the easiest on the cpu so there is more power for the soft synths.

Is Cubase sx the only choice now?
    I heard its a cpu hog?

Any suggestion truly appreciated.

Eric (spectrum),
    What host app do you recommend? since I am building this PC mostly for your synths!

Re: Best PC host app for soft synths??? (spectrum??)

This used to be a mildly sarcastic post.
    Chris possibly did not take it in that light.

So now its just a little bump.

Go to www.spectrasonics.net - and read the specs for the system --->

Love - Chris

You can believe that I did.
    I own almost every disc spectrasonics makes plus stylus.
    I am a huge fan of the stuff.

I am a Mac/Pro Tools/DP guy.
    I bought the PC just for giga.
    I never got any deeper into anything windows.

If we were to have a conversation about Pro Tools and Macs I would have a life time of helpfull tips about real world issues and solutions.

I was simply hoping that someone with that kind of PC experience could share some info with me. Inside info.
    Like REALLY which audio/midi app is less of a cpu hog? Which app is the most stable, easiest to install and use. etc etc.

Thanks for the tip to go read info that I have re read many times over (just drooling over atmosphere!) (god I need a life).

\"I know your busy with atmosphere and roland and all but why can\'t you find the time to answer my extremely important, life altering question!!!\"

Keep in mind, these aren\'t even Gigastudio related products, for a quicker response I would post the question on their website:

As you can now see my failed attempt at mild sarcasm has been deleted.

I thought the [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    might make it clear that I was kidding.

Eric has been fantastic about replying to questions. I was mildly joking that he left question hang for a \"whole day\"!!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    He usually responds unbelievably fast.

Mild Sarcasm, semi witty aside, a light hearted jovial joshing.

Clearly I will make no further attempts at subtle humor in this forum.

I would suggest you post your question on the K-v-R forum. There are lots of PC users there who could answer your question quickly:

Hey Ed,

\"As you can now see my failed attempt at mild sarcasm has been deleted.\"

I didn\'t see a problem with it? Hmm.. Perhaps we\'re under a tighter noose now days. I better watch myself too. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But in all seriousness, you can\'t expect to get official/timely customer support from vendors outside of this website in this forum, well unless they have a commercial section here. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If you\'re only running softsynths then there\'s not much overhead to speak of when running in a Sequencer like SX or SONAR, most of the CPU utilization occurs in the synth itself.

As far as a standalone sequencer host, SX would be better for softsynths because of the way it handles MIDI routing when using more than one softsynth at a time. At this point it\'s seems impossible to get SONAR to echo/monitor multiple softsynths in realtime. (I understand the same limitation currently exists in Logic)

As of SX 1.03 you can discretely echo/monitor as many softsynths as the number of MIDI ports (not channels) on the system.

best thing is to do an empirical assessment on your own system (both products have highly functional demos) One thing to look out for is possible MIDI clock irregularities in SX when using it as a sequencer to control external synths.

-david abraham

Here\'s a new product announcement from Steinberg that seems relevant to this thread

(V-Stack a standalone host dedicated to VST instruments)

no screenshots yet...

-david abraham

Go Back to forum