• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New set of three pianos on the way from Ilio

Share/Bookmark

New set of three pianos on the way from Ilio

No demos yet. This is a set of three VSTI pianos: Steinway D, Bos 290, Yamaha C7:

http://www.ilio.com/synthogy/ivory/index.html

Re: New set of three pianos on the way from Ilio

Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
    \"Sympathetic String Resonance DSP\" sounds interesting. Is that some sort of convolution process? The interaction between different strings on a real piano is to my way of thinking, one of the last frontiers.

Lee Blaske
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The harmonics created by the interaction of different notes, it\'s what I severely miss in every sampled piano on the market. It soothes the soul. It\'s the piano\'s soul.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Looking at it again, I just noticed that it will be Macs first. Windows is still upcoming.

...looks good!...hope it sounds good

You want Sympathetic string resonance?

Aught to check out the Holy Grail piano.

If I\'m not mistaken, sympathetic string resonance has been physically modeled in General Music\'s (now GEM) Pro series pianos, at least it\'s in my Pro-2. I have always wondered why this technology hasn\'t made it into sample-land yet. I guess I can quit wondering now :-)

Trond

Pity it\'s $350 now, as a prerelease order. Maybe $400 when released? Of course, if the pianos are excellent, it\'s a bargain--that\'s less than $150 per piano. On the other hand, it\'s a bigger one-time hit on the checkbook.

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
    \"Sympathetic String Resonance DSP\" sounds interesting. Is that some sort of convolution process? The interaction between different strings on a real piano is to my way of thinking, one of the last frontiers.

Lee Blaske
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The harmonics created by the interaction of different notes, it\'s what I severely miss in every sampled piano on the market. It soothes the soul. It\'s the piano\'s soul.

------------
    Alex Cremers
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">My Yamaha P250 has a \"string resonance\" parameter. Not sure if it\'s the same thing as this \"sympathetic string resonance dsp\", but it does add a lot or realism and expression to the piano, and it does seem to be missing from the sampled pianos I\'m familiar with.

It\'s strange about the sympathetic resonance. For whatever reasons, sampled pianos don\'t seem to always capture the added vibrations. Part of the problem may be that the samples are often compressed and normalized, so the softer sounds get lost.

I\'m looking forward to hearing what Ilio has done here--I\'ve heard songs created using their Sonic Reality Sample Tank pianos that sounded good, but the envelopes were a little strange--very brief decay sections that couldn\'t be changed, and the tuning sometimes seems off on some of them. But some of these pianos do capture the overtones--the Steinway Grand, for example, although it gets too muddy in the bass.

Hi.

I saw a demo of the new \"Ivory\" piano plugin today at NAMM. Very cool. Admittedly, it\'s very loud at NAMM, so, it\'s impossible to listen critially to anything, but; Over 20 GB, 32 bit, up to eight velocity layers, no pedal down samples--the demo guy said the \"Sympathetic String Resonance DSP\" algorithm creates the ambience of the soundboard and strings. You can tweak a number of settings on the pianos. There\'s a \"perspective controller\"-- Performer or Audience--(didn\'t see that in the demo). You can also control release time, key noise,timbre,dynamic range, stereo width, customize velocity maps, adjust the sustain ambience level, you can turn soft pedal and release samples on or off, it includes room and hall effects, eq, chorus and it shows a pretty picture of the piano in question. There\'s other stuff too like tuning options and an optional synth layer....

Looks promising...

Cheers.
    -gabe

Go Back to forum