• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Impulse Library?

Share/Bookmark

Impulse Library?

Reading another post here I just got the idea of constructing an \"Impulse Library\". Not that I can do that, but perhaps some major developers can give this a thought...

What if you capture lets say 7-10 (shown with 7) impulses from a Concert Hall or place of your choice, capture them with three mics like this (for an orchestral setup I\'d suggest):
    <pre>
    O

X X
    X

X X

X X

O O

</pre>
    So you can place the instruments with a placement tool, and add render the tracks with the proper (in the stereo field), different impulses.

Well, knowing that it is very difficult to get only one impulse to work right with sample libraries, I know 10 is just out of sight. But - what do you think, would this be the appropriate way to add \"real\" reflections?

Thanks for stopping by...

Hansi

Re: Impulse Library?

Good idea.

Originally posted by A_Sapp:
    Good idea.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey A_Sapp!

Thanks for this astonishing detailed answer! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] hehe...

Nobody interested in this? Hm.

Hansi

Well, I actually thought about this exact thing as well. I imagine that someone eventually will go to Abbey Studios, place a bunch of dummys (dummies or dummys?) in the seats of the instrumentalists to recreate that type of ambience from people absorbing sounds. Get the starter pistol, and make the shot from each section of the seating chart. Brass, strings, percussion, ect. That would be great indeed.

Thank you sir.

I\'m sure there are a few people who\'ve thought of this for a while, and are possibly working on it.

a few people.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It would obviously take alot of time to do this

Maybe going to Abbey Road would be pretty pointless, as you only get SOME ambience there - I don\'t know the figures, but not a big hall sound certainly. When they record orchestras at Abbey Road they add Lexicon 480L and stuff.
    So what your impulse of Abbey Road will contain is, theoretically, the same kind of ambience which is already present in many libraries - the ambience that we later add reverb to, using an impulse or a reverb effect

Recording concert hall and church ambiences would be more interesting.

I did more thought of some named, great Symphonic Halls, as the now often mentioned Meyerson Symphonic, the Wiener Musikvereinssaal or Concertgebouw in Ansterdam and so on...

Hansi

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    Maybe going to Abbey Road would be pretty pointless, as you only get SOME ambience there - I don\'t know the figures, but not a big hall sound certainly. When they record orchestras at Abbey Road they add Lexicon 480L and stuff.
    So what your impulse of Abbey Road will contain is, theoretically, the same kind of ambience which is already present in many libraries - the ambience that we later add reverb to, using an impulse or a reverb effect

Recording concert hall and church ambiences would be more interesting.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You\'re right, the impulse wants to basically be the same as whatever the QLSO is recorded in ie a good concert hall. The problem with that though is that the tendency is for the impulse to be muddy. I\'ve no idea how Ernie managed to get his impulse so bright and clear when its such a large hall. Does anyone know if its been EQed? If it hasn\'t then he\'s some kind of genius as no-one else seems to have managed to do that.

Go Back to forum