• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: MidiOverLan+

Share/Bookmark

MidiOverLan+

Is anyone using Midioverlan+ to control a separate Gigastudio machine? How does it compare to a midi connection? Any problems with using one machine that is sending midi out to both a midi interface, and to a Midioverlan port?

-- Martin

Re: MidiOverLan+

I use it on two machines, 8 ports in total simultanously. I have had some sync problems when working with tight 140bpm beats, but I can\'t really say if this is due to MidiOverLan or other issues of my network/sequencer machine. Anyway it has not been a problem, since during mixdown I wont play all zillion channels at the same time anyway, and everything has been nice and tight during mixdown. I use a machine with a MIDISport 8x8 too, and I havent noticed any big differences in MIDI latency between the machine with MIDI interface and the ones using LAN.

Martin,

I\'ve been using MIDIoverLAN+ for a couple of months now and have had great results in both driving Giga boxes as well as other boxes running other soft samplers (Kontakt) and soft synths.

I haven\'t noticed any timing issues per se - it all seems very solid driving it from Windows XP.

Check out the review over on Sonic Control, we just posted it literally last night so I\'m not sure if you\'ve seen it yet. I certainly give a thumbs up to MIDIoverLAN+, it\'s been working out great. \"Cross OS\" it seems to work well too, for example driving Windows 98 machines from an XP machine that runs your sequencer etc.

Ryan.

Hello Martin,

MidiOverLan+ rocks! I\'m using it to control 2 Giga machines with all four ports fully loaded on both. With a Gig of memory on each it allows me to load up a STUPID amount of instruments all at once. Then I can just access them via program changes from my sequencer PC. Works well on both Win98SE and WinXP for me.

Kevin

Usin\' it here as well, been using it consistently for about 8 months now (original version, just got the update a while back) nothing but good things to say so far [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I\'m using it to trigger stuff on 2 machines, and it\'s been very reliable.

No problem here.

I\'m glad that I can finally get rid of my MOTU MTP-AV. MOTU\'s driver simply doesn\'t work under XP/2K. It\'s a shame.

Hi Bruce,

The old version of the LAN MIDI driver worked fine with Giga...

But I\'m experiencing the exact same scenario as you (with the new version).
    The ports show up in Sonar, SX, Reason, etc... but don\'t show up in Giga.

Have you tried re-installing Giga?
    I haven\'t tried that yet...

Jim Roseberry
    www.studiocat.com
    jim@studiocat.com

Hmmm.
    Running XP with logic(amt usb) and midi rep.
    The 2nd box with giga on a 98se machine. Works like a dream. Finally got rid of the midisport 8x8... No more crashing for giga.. I even rebooted logic while giga was running, the midi lights just greyed outon giga.. But no crashing.. I had to reboot giga.. No probs here at all..
    Just wish they\'d right a Mac version.. I\'d like to go Mac by Jan.
    Ya I\'d probably re-install giga with the midi rep loaded.
    Bri

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Jim Roseberry:
    Hi Bruce,

The old version of the LAN MIDI driver worked fine with Giga...

But I\'m experiencing the exact same scenario as you (with the new version).
    The ports show up in Sonar, SX, Reason, etc... but don\'t show up in Giga.

Have you tried re-installing Giga?
    I haven\'t tried that yet...

Jim Roseberry
    www.studiocat.com
    jim@studiocat.com
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don\'t see them in Reason 1.0, or in any of the NI apps. I can ONLY see them in SONAR, where they appear as expected. I CAN see any virtual \"multiports\" etc, that I construct.

Anyone else having this problem? Anyone found a solution?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I completely removed and reinstalled Giga, by the way, down to cleaning out the registry and directory structures. No es bueno. I still see any and all ports I\'ve created in MidiOverLan, and any ports which were installed at the time of its installation. But I see no \"virtual Lan\" ports. Likewise in the NI softsynths, I see no virtual LAN ports, only the previously installed ports and any that I\'ve created as multis or pipes.

It is behaving identially on both XP pro machines. Quite odd, and quite flawed, unless I\'m really missing something here. Did someone say there was an earlier version that actually works? Is that earlier version available? Does anyone know? I\'ve emailed the company and heard nothing so far.

Best regards,
    Bruce

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast