Another one:

www.waves.com - no price info yet

2004, a year with some cozy ambiences [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Re: Waves IR1 convolution reverb released

Originally posted by PeterRoos:
    Another one:

www.waves.com - no price info yet

2004, a year with some cozy ambiences [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks Peter.

That\'s an interesting and impressive list of IRs they\'ve done!!!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

This one is first rate, too. I\'ve had a peek of it. Sounds like a million bucks, and runs super efficiently. Some very interesting parallels in its cpu saving features and those of GigaPulse, although quite different approaches to the same basic ideal.

I agree that the list of spaces is quite interesting and well conceived. Live at the Knitting Factory!!! That one cracks me up...I have no idea who shot that impulse, but what a great idea on spirit alone. I wonder if they crammed people in there like sardines to get the true vibe?

I think I saw it at audiomidi.com for $700-800. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Oh yea, the IR list looks OK, but the \"Ford Ecoline 150\" shown will only get you so far.

Until they create a \'1963 Rambler Station Wagon\' (push button tranny) you can count me out! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Hi Bruce,

I don\'t know if you have already heard GigaPulse, but you have an idea how Waves IR1 and GigaPulse compare with AltiVerb?

And, would I be able to use my impulses from Ernest in GigaPulse, or did Tascam invent some homegrown, locked format?

Regards and thanks for all the comments,

I\'m trying to get to the bottom of what GigaPulse will and will not offer users.

As far as I can see (and thanks to Bruce for helping with some of the points);

GigaPulse SP .. the playback engine ... only works with sample libraries which have their impulses already EMBEDDED into the instruments or gig files.

GigaPulse Pro ... only available in the top of the line version ... is the product that IMPORTS impulses and embeds them with samples. This process does not sound like a real-time activity in itself .. so the real time convolution only happens in SP .. which already has the convultion embedded ... so I\'m not sure how it can be actually be real-time.

Bruces speculates (correct if I\'m wrong Bruce) that the impulse files will probably be a proprietary format, since they will have been recorded from upmteen microphone positions.

They also describe GigaPulse PRO as a DEVELOPERS tool, suggesting that adding impulses to samples is at least a semi-pro activity ... perhaps not as simple as loading up an impulse file.

There is no mention in the brochuire that any IMPULSE files come with GS 3.0 Perhaps these have to bought separately.

People who buy the Emsembles and Solo versions of GS 3.0 will only have the GigaPulse Player .. and thus will not be able to use this without having to buy reverb embedded libraries.

I hope I\'m wrong about these conclusions, becuase its sounds as though using GigaPulse is going to be expensive;-

- the cost of GS 3.0 Orchestral
    - the cost of impulse libaries (unless you can do your own)
    - and/or the cost of buying new libraries with impulses embedded in them.

Somebody PLEASE tell me I\'ve interpreted this incorrectly. I really hope I\'m wrong.

Had a peek at the IR1 as well [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It does the \"convolution\" process and computes the settings \"offline.\" This results in a short pause (usually about 1 second or less), but the gain here is very low cpu overhead for the plug in itself, and actual system hit coming from the size and type of impulse used.

I do not have a Mac, so I could not compare to Altiverb. However, I do have Nuendo2 in addition to my Pro Tools rigs, and did direct comparisons of IR1 to SIR. Impulses imported into IR1 that were available (made for) SIR were slightly hotter than the included impulses. Understanding how IR1 works helps alot too [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Since it can import SIR impulses, and a direct comparison can be made, on both a listening level, as well as a \"throw the results on track and phase cancel \'em\" level, I can say (IMO), IR1 is an awesome plug! It can anything SIR can, plus much more. IR1 adds additinal parameters, ones typical found on most modern digital verbs, as well as soft-verbs. I would imagine a direct comparison to Altiverb would show the same, but due to the *way* IR1 wors (offline computations), the cpu hit is significantly lower.

That said, I am wanting to check out Gigapulse in a big way [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Oh- one of the first impulses I tried was the Lincoln Navigator- throw a mellow drum loop thru it, and it is just like one of the kid\'s \"boom boom\" cars going down the street! Gave me that \"slammin subs in the SUV\" sound [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And for the manglers out there- try throwing a pitched instrument loop in as an impulse. Or some noise, or multiple combos of sounds. IR1 stereo full uses four channels for convolution.

Is there not a real time, online mode? Not sure I\'d want to be dealing with 1 sec of latency all the time [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Sorry- should have worded differently...

It is realtime.
    The calculations are done \"on the spot\" which results in a short time of IR1 \"bypassing itself\" for a split second (cpu dependant time, usually under 1 second), ONLY during that calculation.

In other words, load an Impulse (or full settings and Impulse), and while tweaking the verb, each parameter movement (except wet/dry) results in a recalculation. Once the reverb is the the way you want, no more delay. It is the tiny, momentary \"pseudo-bypass\" while doing the initial calculation that is the trade-off for the incredible power-sound shaping possible. It is sort of like having a SIR or Altiverb, and then allowing it to be used in the same way as those, or treat it like a digital verb (which SIR and Altiverb CANNOT do). While purists will see no need (or want) for the extra capabilities, those of us who enjoy exploring new areas, and like more flexability will be very pleased IMO. For the purists, it will work in the \"standard convolution mode.\" Simply leave the Damping, EQ, ER, Tail, etc controls as is, and walla! Traditional.

Go Back to forum