• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Rewire vs VST

Share/Bookmark

Re: Rewire vs VST

Bump. Good questiion Sporter. This is key for me (2 giga puters - seperate SX Daw puter). Want the quickest way to render giga sequenced tracks to audio.

Rob

Since you\'re having multiple machines my bet is the VST wrapper along with FXTeleport. You can do offline bounces like you would if you had everything on the same machine so you won\'t lose that functionality.

Currently there is nothing that supports Rewire connections over Lan as far as I know.

System Link could be an alternative of course since you\'re using SX, but I don\'t know enough about the specifics to comment. It requires more hardware for the connection though. Wouldn\'t it still require the VST adapter or does the system link slave really support Rewire?

/Mattias

Originally posted by Mattias Henningson:

Currently there is nothing that supports Rewire connections over Lan as far as I know.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Didn\'t know that...I\'m new to Rewire, but if it can\'t be used over a Lan, I\'m more excited about FX teleport wrapper than Giga\'s new bells and whistles.

And quite apart from whether you can get Rewire support over LAN, I\'ve never found Rewire to be terribly good anyway. It worked just great between Cubase and Rebirth - the first two bits of software I ever owned - but other clients that I\'ve tried have run less smoothly. For instance the brand new Rewire support in Fruityloops is very frustrating; the song position in Cubase seems to be half a bar ahead of the song position in Fruityloops and various fundamental functions of Fruityloops become unavailable when the two are hooked up.

I\'m sure these problems are with the implementation by various developers, rather than with the Rewire protocol itself, but I just don\'t feel confident with it anymore. Unless Giga-Wrapper interferes with Gigastudio\'s streaming I\'m holding out for that option.

Hi all,

so let\'s see what we have here..

My Giga Machine (v2.54 becomes v3.0)
    My MidiOVerLAn still carries the Midi Data..of course No Audio. Therefore my Giga midi tracks need to be captured to wav in real time via Lan to my Sonar-Kontakt Machine..don\'t like this.

I Love Kontakt\'s (DXI) Bounce feature in
    Sonar 3.0 - even in the slow setting - 1 second for 1% or 100 seconds for a guaranteed clean bounce. The fast bounce has problems with v1.5x

The bounce feature is what sold me to Kontakt.

If I put another copy of Sonar on the Giga Machine, maybe a VST wrapper might help..any thoughts? My goal is to bounce and avoid producing .wav files form midi-tracks in real time..I want it fast!!

Comments welcome..

Alan Russell

I cant speak for FXTeleport, since my main DAW is a Mac. So my only solution was to lightpipe from the PCs to the Mac. Granted, i\'m sure FXTeleport is great. The lightpipe solution is rock solid. I have the ability to buss 16 channels out the PCs into the mac. Both PCs have Hammerfall 9652\'s and goto a pair of MOTU 2408mkIII\'s. And word clocked to an Aardvark Sync DA. Like i said, rock solid.

Each channel from the giga machines is a seperate input channel in Logic. I can easily add effects, and render the track in real time. Not as convenient as bouncing/freezing offline, but it works!!

Makes me curious to know if FXTeleport suffers from jitter problems. It of course, is a very inexpensive and powerful solution. BUT, how is it from a sonics perspective?

I\'d love to use GS3 in a rewire environment. But, rewire is not an option, considering there will never be a Giga-Mac ;-)

I will certainly upgrade to GS3, but continue other samplers that seem to offer more flexibility.

SWL

Rewire vs VST

I was going to post this in the GS 3.0 thread since it has a lot to do with the new version, particularly as it relates to Rewire. But it would probably get lost in the flood.

I\'ve been patiently waiting on FX Teleport\'s wrapper and now GS 3.0 has Rewire support, the question arises, at least for me, what is the best way to get discrete audio tracks into your Daw assuming you have seperate machines (SX for me). I find the bounce ability in the vst environment extremely easy...yet Rewire seems in many ways a better way to work if GS is on a seperate machine.

Thoughts?

Alan,

You don\'t need Sonar on the giga machine in order to do off-line bounces with the Giga VST adapter. The adapter will \"convert\" Giga to a VSTi instrument and FXTeleport will teleport midi data from Sonar to Giga as well as audio from Giga back to Sonar over the LAN. That is, no need even for MoL+ with this solution.

Along with the wrapper that is installed on the Giga machine there is a VSTi that you install on your Sonar machine. When you want to use Giga sounds you just add this VSTi into your project just like you would if you were using Kontakt locally on the machine. Select the midi channels like you normally would and you\'re set.

/Mattias

Originally posted by Mattias Henningson:
    Alan,

You don\'t need Sonar on the giga machine in order to do off-line bounces with the Giga VST adapter. The adapter will \"convert\" Giga to a VSTi instrument and FXTeleport will teleport midi data from Sonar to Giga as well as audio from Giga back to Sonar over the LAN. That is, no need even for MoL+ with this solution.

Along with the wrapper that is installed on the Giga machine there is a VSTi that you install on your Sonar machine. When you want to use Giga sounds you just add this VSTi into your project just like you would if you were using Kontakt locally on the machine. Select the midi channels like you normally would and you\'re set.

/Mattias
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Great explanation. The way I understand it is, the DAW computer (Sonar in Alan\'s example) will treat Giga just like a vst, except it will be running on a remote machine and not using the DAW\'s resources. And since it\'s a vst, you can bounce just like you do in Kontact.

There\'s a million questions regarding latency, streaming and what have you, but from what I\'ve gathered from the beta reports, this is going to the be THE solution for using Giga on a remote machine. Although overshadowed by 3.0, the FX wrapper looks like quite a gem for Giga users.

Hey Mattias-

Very nice explanation. One follow-on question. In my set-up (Daw running SX and two seperate giga machines) would I still need to \'bounce\' any tracks. Would FX Tele and GS3 just send giga audio streams to the relevant SX channels. Where there I could treat as a \'live\' input channel - at any point (after all the midi writing and programming) render to audio in prep for final mix down.

If that is the case, Oh boy - that will save tons of time rendering 100+ plus giga tracks.

Many thanks.

Rob

Go Back to forum